• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Euromyths

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Euromyths"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So is vetran a liar or a cretin?
    Should we have a referendum on it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Referendum on CUK's opinion about vetran.

Vote only once by putting a cross (X) next to your choice.

Is vetran a:

Liar..........
    Cretin........

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Will this cause a division within the CUK ranks? Will there be arguments as to whether this was the will of the CUK membership? Will the mods vote against it? Will admin resign and call for a new replacement? Will their be protracted arguments as to exactly what constitutes a liar and/or a cretin? Will there be calls for a second referendum if the vote doesn't go the way it should?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I would go for 'both'.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Where does it say "so yes you can sell them but not to the public."? I have seen many Asian shops sell 2nd class bananas of all shapes and sizes.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    It's a shame the one about banning bagpipes turns out to be a myth. I could find myself supporting that...

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be a badly spelled story about Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the 'excessive curvature' thing with bananas is a WTO rule ? You know, the rules Brexiters want to follow because they won't be following anyone else's rules.
    From what I gather, the root regulation comes from the Codex Alimentarius, a UN specification.

A more robust argument about the regulation is that the UN specification is simply a trading specification, whereas the EU regulation is the same specification turned into EU law. Traders are free to ignore the UN specification without serious penalty, but they are not free to ignore the EU law if they want to trade within the EU.

Depending on your point of view this can be either a good thing or a bad thing - specifications that can be agreed individually between trading partners without breaking any laws, vs certainty in single-market-wide trading standards backed by legal definitions.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Where does it say "so yes you can sell them but not to the public."? I have seen many Asian shops sell 2nd class bananas of all shapes and sizes.
    vetran is trying to justify the fact that he got taken in by the lies yet still believes them, along with unicorns and that Farage is the saviour....
    Waiting for the inevitable EUSSR diatribe....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    from your link it seems most denials were made up by the EU

so yes you can sell them but not to the public.

and the rest are weasel words as well.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    No, that’s simply not true at all. If you read what you quoted, it clearly says that they have not been banned but they must be classified into size and shape.

The purpose of this is so that a (relatively) uniform number of the same sized bananas will be on each commercial case/pallet.

It’s got nothing to do with retail sales, but with trade sales.

Might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the 'excessive curvature' thing with bananas is a WTO rule ? You know, the rules Brexiters want to follow because they won't be following anyone else's rules.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied

No, that’s simply not true at all. If you read what you quoted, it clearly says that they have not been banned but they must be classified into size and shape.

The purpose of this is so that a (relatively) uniform number of the same sized bananas will be on each commercial case/pallet.

It’s got nothing to do with retail sales, but with trade sales.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Yes you can. If the bananas have defects they are class 2 bananas, so that supermarkets know they're buying bananas that are not as high quality.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied

Sensible reason to devastate the UK economy. Banana laws are much more scary than the The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1992, introduced 2 years earlier.

You do seem to have cherry picked a little here.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Myth: Curved bananas have been banned by Brussels bureaucrats, with shops ordered not to sell fruit which is too small or abnormally bent.
    Sources: The Sun, Daily Mirror, Daily Mail, Daily Express (21 September 1994)

Truth: Yes … and no. Curved bananas have not been banned. In fact, as with the supposed banning of curved cucumbers, the Commission regulation classifies bananas according to quality and size for the sake of easing the trade of bananas internationally.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    started a topic Euromyths

Euromyths

I wonder how many were made up by the Grand Pooh-Bah:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/the-eu-have-archived-all-of-the-euromyths-printed-in-uk-media-and-it-makes-for-some-disturbing-reading/14/11/

Working...
X