• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Freedom of movement"

Collapse

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Now we know who you really are

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    if only you knew.
    Now we know who you really are

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    So's having an Uncle who's a world renowned expert in Medieval History.

Hth.
    It's OK every family has their cretinous branch.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    This means even with the chaos of crashing out EU citizens can continue to "mass migrate".
    All they have to do is get to Ireland and walk over the border.....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Even with a no deal Brexit freedom of movement won't end until a new immigration law is passed, and the government doesn't currently have a majority. Any law they try and put through will be hijacked and have all sorts of non-Brexity horrible amendments attached.

This means even with the chaos of crashing out EU citizens can continue to "mass migrate".

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    But fully bound by its rules, and under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, no say over fishing rights in UK waters, unable to pursue any trade deals, and no guarantee of any trade deal with the EU. It's the sh!ttiest deal in history. The point of leaving was to have none of those restrictions, and while we're still technically handcuffed to the EU I don't consider to have "left".
    Looks like you’ve swallowed a pack of lies.

Fully bound by rules and the ECJ for the period of transition only, while we get our house in order. Same for fishing (though I don’t know why Brexiters keep banging on about fishing, it’s de minimus). We can pursue trade deals, just not sign them, so of course we can get them ready to sign on the first day after transition ends.

“No guarantee of any trade deal with the EU”? That’s an odd one, there’s no guarantee of anything anyway. Firstly, you wanted the U.K. to walk alone, but now you’re fretting over not having any guarantee of a trade deal? Secondly, that was the point of the transition period, to negotiate the future relationship. Easing out of the EU, rather than crashing out.

After transition, the U.K. would then be as you want it - no longer bound by the ECJ, able to make your own trade deals (with all the compromises that go with them, of course...). If the U.K. went the way that you wanted (EFTA) then the backstop doesn’t need to be triggered.

Still, I’m sure you know what you’re doing.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    If only you had a big pair we'd take you more seriously
    if only you knew.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    my uncle's cat had exceptionally large testicles.
    If only you had a big pair we'd take you more seriously

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

Hth.
    I had an uncle, sadly passed away now, who was black belt in karate and used to teach locally (I seem to recall he was 5th dan) - didn't stop me from windmilling in then when I got into my frequent scraps in school
    my uncle's cat had exceptionally large testicles.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    But fully bound by its rules, and under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, no say over fishing rights in UK waters, unable to pursue any trade deals, and no guarantee of any trade deal with the EU. It's the sh!ttiest deal in history. The point of leaving was to have none of those restrictions, and while we're still technically handcuffed to the EU I don't consider to have "left".
    And there was me thinking "Leave means leave". The people voted to not be members of the EU anymore. May's deal would have left us not members of the EU, EXACTLY as voted for in 2016.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Hth.
    I had an uncle, sadly passed away now, who was black belt in karate and used to teach locally (I seem to recall he was 5th dan) - didn't stop me from windmilling in then when I got into my frequent scraps in school

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    The Withdrawal Agreement fulfils both the vote, and the red lines set by May and cheered on by the Brexiters.

Legally, the U.K. will have left the EU. It’s not in dispute, it’s not “doesn’t mean actually leaving”, it’s a fact - once the WA is approved and the relevant legislation is passed, the U.K. will no longer be in the EU.

You’ve said you want to leave the EU by any means possible, this is one of those means.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Hth.
    Not JRM then? Morologus es! Although I prefer LMAA...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Yep, Google is great for providing Latin quotes

Hth.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Hic puer est stultissimus omnium!
    Yep, Google is great for providing Latin quotes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X