• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Minister for the Eighteenth Century"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    In his case it's pierced
    Nanny should be more careful with the safety pins.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    In his case it's pierced
    If its good enough for Prince Albert...

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Really? Almost everyone lived in total poverty.

Talking of JRM, is bellend hypenated or not?
    In his case it's pierced

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

It was good for the rich though

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    To be fair Victorian age was pretty good

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Minister for the Eighteenth Century

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yeah that is one opinion in a discussion which concludes 'it depends' as it clearly says its a convention not a rule, so its like your opinion as usual worthless.
    Only a Brexiter could take a discussion that confirms a position as being “technically improper” and conclude that “it depends”.

There’s a difference between being technically correct or not. For the vast majority of us, the difference is immaterial, and “it depends” is a valid position to take, simply because we don’t care. For someone that positions himself as a Latin speaker and send out directives to his staff to be correct in what they do and to “check their work”, then technically improper is the wrong sort of proper.

What you’re doing is ascribing your lack of detail and your lack of brainpower to someone (JRM) that should be aspiring to a higher standard.

So unless you’re an animal doctor that used to do marathons, you’ll forgive me if I don’t take advice on whether or not “it depends” from someone that can’t even spell his username correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It's thinking time. Two spaces is just enough to remember what I intended to say next.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's thinking time. Two spaces is just enough to remember what I intended to say next.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    From your very own link, seeing as you appear to be unable to read what you post:

To put this into further context for you, as the subject in question (JRM] is the Latin speaker, I would expect him to know how to speak Latin “properly”.

Therefore, he does not check his own work.

yeah that is one opinion in a discussion which concludes 'it depends' as it clearly says its a convention not a rule, so its like your opinion as usual worthless.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I think Stygian here is suggesting that the article shouldn't be there probably because Latin doesn't have them, which is like saying we shouldn't use braincells because he doesn't have them.

As it seems to be optional he is for once nearly right. Next week he starts on tying shoelaces.

Does "Magna Carta" require an article? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
    From your very own link, seeing as you appear to be unable to read what you post:

Since "Magna Carta" is a Latin name and Latin would not need the use of an article then it is technically improper to use the definite article with it.
    To put this into further context for you, as the subject in question (JRM] is the Latin speaker, I would expect him to know how to speak Latin “properly”.

Therefore, he does not check his own work.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Damn 36 minutes too late
    Merged.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    To what are you referring?

I think Stygian here is suggesting that the article shouldn't be there probably because Latin doesn't have them, which is like saying we shouldn't use braincells because he doesn't have them.

As it seems to be optional he is for once nearly right. Next week he starts on tying shoelaces.

Does "Magna Carta" require an article? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    The real tragedy is that Mr. Rees-Mogg has an overinflated sense of his own portance, and that people lap it up due to the posh accent and frequent use of Latin.

Put simply, he doesn’t check his own work.

To what are you referring?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm typing tulip as usual.
    now that is exactly right for your posts. FTFY

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    The real tragedy is that he has to explain this in the first place.
    The real tragedy is that Mr. Rees-Mogg has an overinflated sense of his own portance, and that people lap it up due to the posh accent and frequent use of Latin.

Put simply, he doesn’t check his own work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X