• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Man of the people

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Man of the people"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    £43m pounds, is Mr Vacuum Cleaner even cut out to be a rich person?

Meet The Man Who Probably Just Spent $4.8 Billion On A Solid Gold Yacht - Business Insider

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Did I? If I did, I didn’t mean to - clearly the U.K. pays in more cash then it gets back in cash (I’m being very specific with the wording there).

The point was that Dyson’s payments are (effectively) from the U.K. anyway, and that this won’t stop in October.
    You're more bullish about getting out of the EU than I am...

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    You implied we get our money back minus an admin fee (after all, someone's got to pay Juncker's bar-bill, sorry, pension.)
    Did I? If I did, I didn’t mean to - clearly the U.K. pays in more cash then it gets back in cash (I’m being very specific with the wording there).

The point was that Dyson’s payments are (effectively) from the U.K. anyway, and that this won’t stop in October.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    You implied we get our money back minus an admin fee (after all, someone's got to pay Farage's bar-bill, sorry, pension)
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    I’ve highlighted the bit that we’re part of. It’s the same money tree.
    You implied we get our money back minus an admin fee (after all, someone's got to pay Juncker's bar-bill, sorry, pension.)

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    What about the billions the EU have spent in the rest of Europe? They must have a better magic money tree than we do...
    I’ve highlighted the bit that we’re part of. It’s the same money tree.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    I'm sure there will be no disruption to payments. After all lessons were learnt from Universal Credit enrollment...
    Farmers tend to be Tory supporters, UC recipients tend to be Labour supporters. There will be no disruption (unless there’s a change in government)

(An oversimplification and someone will probably pop in to correct the numbers....)

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    One of the main arguments for Brexit is that the money that the EU spends in the U.K. is just the UK’s money with an admin fee removed.
    What about the billions the EU have spent in the rest of Europe? They must have a better magic money tree than we do...

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    One of the main arguments for Brexit is that the money that the EU spends in the U.K. is just the UK’s money with an admin fee removed.

Ergo, he gets nearly GBP 3m from the U.K.

Will this stop after October? No. At least, not until 2022.

Farm payments if there’s no Brexit deal - GOV.UK
    I'm sure there will be no disruption to payments. After all lessons were learnt from Universal Credit enrollment...

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    And he gets nearly GBP3m in subsidies from the EU for them....

Ergo, he gets nearly GBP 3m from the U.K.

Will this stop after October? No. At least, not until 2022.

Farm payments if there’s no Brexit deal - GOV.UK

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    He gets nearly GBP3m in subsidies from the U.K. After all, it’s our money we send....

Why? Will the U.K. be stopping all subsidies to farmers? Haven’t heard that one, do you have a cite?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Boris and Jeremy have promised to give Dyson even more money after Brexit, but no fear this will come from the magic money tree.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Did you know that Mr Dyson is also the UK's single largest farmer?

He's been busy buying up farms for the last few years.
    Great move! With the UK's economy going to tulip after brexit and the UK having to go back to farming, he'll already be in pole position.

What a man, sir Dyson! Making british agriculture great again!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    About time the UK had a tax on global income for its citizens.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    He gets nearly GBP3m in subsidies from the U.K. After all, it’s our money we send....

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Not for long!
    Why? Will the U.K. be stopping all subsidies to farmers? Haven’t heard that one, do you have a cite?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X