• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Theresa May resigns as PM"

Collapse

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Why is it a march against the Tories?

It is a march against Brexit which has been agreed is going to happen via the democratic process.

This is a march against democracy.
    Which democratic process is that?

Here’s what Robert Peston tweeted earlier today:

As I said earlier, there is a good chance that in meaningful votes on Tuesday and Wednesday, MPs will back either a softer form of Brexit that breaches the PM's red lines - on ending freedom of movement and negotiating trade deal - or Kyle/Wilson referendum plan. I have now asked eight members of the Cabinet whether they think @theresa_may would respect the will of parliament and negotiate either of those outcomes with the EU. All said she would not.
    Like the Brexit vote, people marched for many different reasons. Some want to Revoke, some want a People’s Vote, some would accept EFTA. Provided the process is democratic, and accepted in Parliament.

The person that is not being democratic, is Theresa May.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The fact is the UK can't handle globalisation in whatever form and therefore its demise is now inevitable.

You forget the jam.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The fact is the UK can't handle globalisation in whatever form and therefore its demise is now inevitable.

We can't cope with countries, that were former colonies and 'below' us, now being on an equal if not superior to us. The world is changing and the dinosaurs need to adapt or become extinct

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Leaving, staying, being half in, all will make no difference.

In all cases the arguments and vitriol will continue indefinitely. The damage has been done, the UK will slowly fall apart.

Leave a comment:

• stonehenge
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I've said over and over again that I think we should now leave the EU.
    Yes, staying in would just keep it festering for years.

We need something that puts the whole issue to bed for a good many years, ideally a generation.

Unfortunately, I doubt the likes of Farage and moggy will let the matter drop unless they get a hard exit.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Oh, the ironing!
    Saying it doesn't make it true.

I've said over and over again that I think we should now leave the EU. That doesn't mean I think leaving is better than staying, but so long as we have a controlled leave rather than crashing out then I think this is the only way to mend the damage created in our society from your lot.

You extreme leavers can never change your mind, you are so indoctrinated.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    You're a brexit religious zealot and can't see past your own prejudices.
    Oh, the ironing!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

It is a march against Brexit which has been agreed is going to happen via the democratic process.

A sign of an intelligent mature person, is someone who can change their mind based on new facts. Sticking to your plan when you have new information, is pathetic. We wouldn't do this in our professional (or personal lives) so why do we think people should do this when it comes to politics.

Brits have now seen the lies from the leave side for what they are ... lies. The mature, intelligent voters are changing their mind and either think that the UK should stay now, or if we do leave we should look for a softer brexit. Either way, as a democratic nation, if our parliament cannot come up with a consensus it doesn't seem wrong to ask the people to have another say.

This is democracy in action; what you want is a fascist dictatorship.

I understand you won't like this. But then I'm not including you in the intelligent and mature group of Brits I spoke about above. You're a brexit religious zealot and can't see past your own prejudices. You'd be a much happier person if you just opened up your mind a bit

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Your model of democracy. Is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
    Another way of looking at some Brexiteers' shrill opposition to free assembly, free speech and further democratic votes, is that they view. The European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 as some kind of Enabling Act, after which further expressions of democratic will are not allowed.

Of course these Brexiteers are entirely wrong and misunderstand the nature of British democracy.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Your model of democracy. Is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Theresa May resigns as PM

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    It certainly is in a lot of headlines this morning. Good thing it was a slow news day yesterday and nothing else Brexit-related was going on....

Newspaper headlines: 'Cabinet coup' and speedboat killer 'to return to UK' - BBC News
    The headline in The Observer (strangely missing from a big splash on the BBC blog...) at least attempts to balance the two.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X