• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit positive news thread"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Yorkie is a leading candidate for CUK Cretin of year 2019

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Good so you agree that the extra import tariff, assuming I actually have to pay it as my contract is with a UK company and not SEAT, is a boost to the UK economy because the government will have the extra cash the import duties generate.
    The UK company imports the cars from abroad. It has to pay the British government the import tariff. The UK company passes the cost on to you. So effectively, you pay the import tariff to the British government. While the government has extra money, you have less. The wealth of the country has not increased, yours has decreased.

If you think tax payers paying more tax is a good thing, then yes, import tariffs are good.

Nah. Mr Mcdonall said everything will be paid for by taxing the super rich, and making sure the likes of Starbuck, Amazon, etc. pay their fair wack.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Yes and your tax bill will skyrocket
    Nah. Mr Mcdonall said everything will be paid for by taxing the super rich, and making sure the likes of Starbuck, Amazon, etc. pay their fair wack.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Only until Jezza is in power and all infrastructure is re nationalised.
    Yes and your tax bill will skyrocket

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If you believe those reductions in cost will be passed on to the customer you're very naive
    And let's see who owns some of the major the energy companies in the UK
    E.on - german
    NPower - German
    RWE - German
    EDF - French
    Innogy - German
    Only until Jezza is in power and all infrastructure is re nationalised.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If we can ditch the EU and ditch the pointless Carbon taxes and meaningless "Global Warming" tariffs, and have cheap energy, we will be laughing.
    If you believe those reductions in cost will be passed on to the customer you're very naive
    And let's see who owns some of the major the energy companies in the UK
    E.on - german
    NPower - German
    RWE - German
    EDF - French
    Innogy - German

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Typical brexidiot logic.

There’s so many things wrong about this.
    I’ll highlight the simplest..... Money the government has DOES NOT BOOST THE ECONOMY. Quite the opposite.
    It's probably the biggest problem that I have with using GDP as the only measure of an economy. Government spending is included as one of the components, so a government following a "borrow and spend" policy will increase GDP, but does this show a good, healthy economy? If the borrowing and spending is done wisely, perhaps. But there's no distinction in GDP between spending on infrastructure to support more manufacturing and exports (for example) vs spending on white elephants and vanity projects. And the taxpayer is still left with the borrowing to pay off (including the interest).

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Typical brexidiot logic.

I’ll highlight the simplest..... Money the government has DOES NOT BOOST THE ECONOMY. Quite the opposite.
    Ah. So them roads, rail, and general transport infrastructure projects build themselves do they, as well as the NHS being self funding. On your logic if we all withhold our taxes from the government it will have less money and therefore the economy will be booming as all the government does is constrain/contract growth if it has any cash.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Good so you agree that the extra import tariff, assuming I actually have to pay it as my contract is with a UK company and not SEAT, is a boost to the UK economy because the government will have the extra cash the import duties generate.
    Typical brexidiot logic.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    On your only measure of GDP, yes.

Swings and roundabouts though - you no longer have that 10% to spend in the High Street, and the government now has it to spend on bungs to the DUP.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Under a No Deal situation, ultimately the UK Government. It's effectively a UK import tax, set out in the UK WTO schedules - the importer pays the tariff, and the consumer (you) pays the importer. So not only have you helped to increase GDP, but you're also contributing more to help us pay for ferries and lorry parks.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Q. Who gets the extra 10%? Assuming of course that I even have to pay an extra 10% for a car that is faster than a Porsche Macan
    Under a No Deal situation, ultimately the UK Government. It's effectively a UK import tax, set out in the UK WTO schedules - the importer pays the tariff, and the consumer (you) pays the importer. So not only have you helped to increase GDP, but you're also contributing more to help us pay for ferries and lorry parks.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Yorkie may need to pay an extra 10% for his car.

Yorkie believes that rising GDP is a valid measure of “the economy”

The first component of GDP is private consumption.

Therefore, Yorkie paying an extra 10% for his car is good for the economy.

Q. Who gets the extra 10%? Assuming of course that I even have to pay an extra 10% for a car that is faster than a Porsche Macan

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Still nothing concrete. Come on Brexiters, isn't there anything that is demonstrably good for the economy?
    Yorkie may need to pay an extra 10% for his car.

Yorkie believes that rising GDP is a valid measure of “the economy”

The first component of GDP is private consumption.

Therefore, Yorkie paying an extra 10% for his car is good for the economy.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Still nothing concrete. Come on Brexiters, isn't there anything that is demonstrably good for the economy?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X