• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nissan chief executive 'confident' after meeting with Theresa May"

Collapse

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Wasn't this expected after the EU-Japan trade deal which has led to other Japanese manufacturers withdrawing from the UK ?

Predicted here:
    Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry' | Business | The Guardian

I think the Japan trade deal was always going to be bad news for the EU's Japanese car manufacturing industry, with the UK being hardest hit due to the number of Japanese plants here (4) Brexit or not.

I note (although details are hard to find) that Nissan's Barcelona plant has also seen job cuts and has only stayed open due to government promises of subsidies.

P.S. I'm not saying that Brexit isn't a factor here!
    If an FTA is death to such plants, what does it bod for the UK future once our glorious international trade ministers drop all tariffs to zero after Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I think the Japan trade deal was always going to be bad news for the EU's Japanese car manufacturing industry, with the UK being hardest hit due to the number of Japanese plants here (4) Brexit or not.
    At an industry level, in any FTA there are going to be winners and losers. Whether the EU’s Japanese plants are hit will be simple economics - with all things being equal (0% tariffs), would it be more cost effective to make Japanese cars in Europe where the market is, or make them in Japan and then ship them? Only the car manufacturers really know.

With the U.K. exiting from that FTA, and with the market that the U.K.-made cars are sold into being subject to tariffs, the economics for the U.K. changes.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    One word - tariffs. Work it out, it's not hard.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Wasn't this expected after the EU-Japan trade deal which has led to other Japanese manufacturers withdrawing from the UK ?

Predicted here:
    Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry' | Business | The Guardian

I note (although details are hard to find) that Nissan's Barcelona plant has also seen job cuts and has only stayed open due to government promises of subsidies.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Presumably in Farthings, Groats and a Half Sovereign for the management
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    He who control the past - controls the future: Nissan was never making any cars in Sunderland

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Indeed, other people in EU do all their work and folk in Sunderland can put feet up and wait for pay day

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Presumably in Farthings, Groats and a Florin for the management

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Apparently on the production line at Nissan they cheered.

Indeed, other people in EU do all their work and folk in Sunderland can put feet up and wait for pay day

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    That's just Brexit uncertainty. Once a clean Brexit is delivered, Nissan will be moving half of its global production to leave voting areas, to take full advantage of the Empire 2.0 export market.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Oh dear, never mind:

Sunderland votes to Leave by larger margin than expected | The Independent

The turkeys voted for Christmas a.k.a winners of the Darwin award.
    Apparently on the production line at Nissan they cheered.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Oh dear, never mind:

Sunderland votes to Leave by larger margin than expected | The Independent

The turkeys voted for Christmas a.k.a winners of the Darwin award.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Potentially Sunderland Nissan will not be producing the x trail.

But they will still retain the Quashai....

Three millionth Qashqai built in UK as Nissan Europe sets sales record - Global Newsroom
    This is ageing well....

New reports suggest Nissan will pull Qashqai production from Sunderland plant | This is Money

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Does your mother treat you well as a child?
    His mother treats everyone well.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Good story bro, did your mother treat you well as a child?
    Does your mother treat you well as a child?

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

It's entirely possible that Minford got his CBE for services to the Tory party agenda. Bean seems to think that the award of a British honour denotes quality in some way. Makes you wonder about Ceausescu, Mussolini and Mugabe.
    Were they awarded a CBE for services to Economics too, also do they still have their UK honours?...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X