• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EU to dictate terms of a no deal"

Collapse

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If WTO membership was so good, why big countries seek Free Trade deals?
    The deludeds think that WTO means free trade rather than 'the most restrictive trade with full tariff and non-tariff barriers', and they also think it means that we can sell goods to other countries without meeting their product standards and compliance regimes. They think the US and EU trade solely on WTO terms, which is utter nuts. Here is a nice long list of treaties between the US and EU which facilitate 'trade'
    http://ec.europa.eu/world/agreements...yFlag=treaties

Most of all though, they talk in terms of us buying stuff rather than us selling stuff which I think summarises the problem. We can make it as easy as we like to buy other people's stuff, but we cannot influence (on WTO rules) other people's rules for buying our stuff. And if we aren't selling stuff, we can't afford to buy stuff. Maybe the Gammons think they can just remortgage their house a bit more and buy stuff, leaving the future generations to pick up the bill?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Fook business, innit?
    Wait until the gammons work out how much GB sends to NI every year. Maybe they'll put it on a bus.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The political wing does. The business wing doesn't. Overall DUP voters are pro Brexit and the working class part of the core vote probably wants the hardest of Brexits and borders.
    Fook business, innit?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I get the impression that hard border with Ireland is what DUP wants
    The political wing does. The business wing doesn't. Overall DUP voters are pro Brexit and the working class part of the core vote probably wants the hardest of Brexits and borders.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    I think the DUP would be mad to vote against, as a no deal means a very hard border with Ireland. Call their bluff
    I get the impression that hard border with Ireland is what DUP wants

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If I could basically just summarise the EU's stance.

"Eat sh*t or die"
    Not mutually exclusive!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    The UK is a member, in it own right, of the WTO and has been since 1995. Additionally it is also a member by virtue of being in the EU. But as a member of the WTO its membership will not cease when the UK leaves the EU.
    If WTO membership was so good, why big countries seek Free Trade deals?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Or we could just tell them to fook off and dictate our own terms

This concept of not being in the EU and therefore not having to answer to the EU is not sitting well with you is it?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Well I suppose it is more racial stereotyping is because you are taking the colour of someones skin - in this case gammon coloured - and saying that all people with skin that colour have the same characteristics.

So for example if I say - I saw a black guy rob stuff therefore all black guys rob stuff that is racial stereotyping

So it works the same way for gammons.

Completely different. Black people have skin colour due to heritage and this can't be changed, whereas gammon's skin colour is naturally 'white' (as in all 'white' people will be considered to have the same skin colour) but have their gammon complexion due to lifestyle and anger issues.

Stereotyping a gammon is akin to stereotyping someone with tattoos, or a shaved head, as these are physical attributes that are not specific to all people of that colour, but are a lifestyle choice.

As someone with tattoos and a shaved head I am also stereotyped by some, but I don't see this as a form of racism ... because I'm not a snowflake like gammons are

If you don't like being referred to as a gammon, lose some weight, get a healthier complexion, and stop being so angry, you little delicate snowflake

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Well I suppose it is more racial stereotyping is because you are taking the colour of someones skin - in this case gammon coloured ...
    Only when suffused with impotent rage.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

EU rules out any negotiations for a "managed" no deal

In the case of the no deal the EU will simply dictate emergency measures which the UK will have to reciprocate.

EU dictating? Surely that will never happen.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I am not stopping your speech in anyway, shape or form - just please refrain from using language purely to try and raise a reaction - it's just irritating and detracts from what might actually be a good post sometimes.
    Boo hoo. Suck it up, snowflake.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Read my lips "there will be no no-deal".

May's deal will win out or they will kick the can down the road by extending Article 50 until they decide what to do to break the political deadlock. There is no time to do anything else, including planning for 'no deal'.

Even Corbyn, who is only interested in Labour getting into power, knows he cannot win a confidence vote in the government (not the irrelevant one against May he threatened yesterday that won't even be given time of day by Parliament) while the DUP are on side as even the tory rebels will side with May over Labour.

So all rests with the DUP. Do they stick to their guns and vote against May's deal or bend to it (maybe by way of another billion or two of taxpayer's money ) to prevent Labour getting into power... we'll find out in January.
    I think the DUP would be mad to vote against, as a no deal means a very hard border with Ireland. Call their bluff

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Read my lips "there will be no no-deal".

May's deal will win out or they will kick the can down the road by extending Article 50 until they decide what to do to break the political deadlock. There is no time to do anything else, including planning for 'no deal'.

Even Corbyn, who is only interested in Labour getting into power, knows he cannot win a confidence vote in the government (not the irrelevant one against May he threatened yesterday that won't even be given time of day by Parliament) while the DUP are on side as even the tory rebels will side with May over Labour.

So all rests with the DUP. Do they stick to their guns and vote against May's deal or bend to it (maybe by way of another billion or two of taxpayer's money ) to prevent Labour getting into power... we'll find out in January.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    A lifetime of privilege, being able to call other races whatever you like (‘70’s “sitcoms” being a good example).

Two years of being called a gammon and you’re crying foul.

Snowflake.
    Not really - casual racism for comedic effect died out in the late 70's/early 80's just not sure why you continue to think it is acceptable

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's just another form of right wing political correctness, trying to shut down free speech.

It's comparable the whole 'enemies of the people', 'crush the saboteurs', 'traitors' rhetoric. The hard right disaster capitalists nearly have their prize in their grasp, and they must use such rhetoric to stir up the gammons to act against their own self interest.
    I am not stopping your speech in anyway, shape or form - just please refrain from using language purely to try and raise a reaction - it's just irritating and detracts from what might actually be a good post sometimes.

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    BMWs are made in the Munich area or Spartanburg, South Carolina. Do you ever think that talking facts might help you to ever say anything sensible?
    The comment was made more in a generalist nature not specifically about BMW.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X