• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Theresa May backs immigration plan that favours skilled workers"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Sorry I was sinking to your level straight insults and unfounded bulltulip. I would of thought you Spooter would feel at home.
    Nope, that's definitely a Leaver strategy, only have to examine this sub-forum to see that...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    The wit and intelligence of Leaver never seems to astound me...

Sorry I was sinking to your level straight insults and unfounded bulltulip. I would of thought you Spooter would feel at home.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    but.... this is General.... last home of the broad generalisation

Don't get me started on the French. Their English was pretty good, but almost every solution proposed was met with "c'est ne pas possible".... the only French the English PMs knew was "mais oui, c'est IS FOOKING possible"
    I once spent one day in Paris, upgrading a Notes server. The office opened at 10, then shut at 12 for lunch (and when I say shut, I mean really shut, I was told I had to leave). At 3, I returned (as instructed), had about 2 hours to finish and then they shut again at 5. I was gutted I actually finished within the time, I could have dragged it out to 2 days if I'd known. It was back in the days when you could smoke on the Eurostar, so there's one for the teenagers...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Let's be honest though, wit and intelligence has ALWAYS astounded you.

In much the same way as fire first enchanted cave dwellers.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Yep your mum likes it Greek stylee.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Wait a minute.

I'm an migrant intent on entering the country illegally to rape and pillage villages up and down the land. Are you telling me I can't set about my work without the proper skill set & paperwork?
    Yep your mum likes it Greek stylee.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Wait a minute.

I'm an migrant intent on entering the country illegally to rape and pillage villages up and down the land. Are you telling me I can't set about my work without the proper skill set & paperwork?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Don't get me started on the French. Their English was pretty good, but almost every solution proposed was met with "c'est ne pas possible".... the only French the English PMs knew was "mais oui, c'est IS FOOKING possible"
    Sounds pretty much like the Dutch, too

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

a decade working for the French I feel your pain!

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I did. Don't make sweeping statements if you aren't prepared to receive the same.

And yes I agree real skill level (sorry common language is a skill), cultural and business norms are important in projects.
    Everything in writing is a good call.

I did wonder why one of the best PM's I worked with called us all when it was nearly time for us start something in live. Then a fill in guy took over while he was on holiday and about 20% of the resources fecked up and impacted my work.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I predict at least doubling of IT related work permits and it won’t be Americans from Silicon Valley leading it.
    Good news, you can grow your business with the plentiful supply of ultra-low cost IT workers.

Huge profits await your rapid post Brexit expansion.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Brexit voter : I hate brown people I'm voting Brexit
    Human : but....
    Brexit voter : it's out of control immigration. All those p*kis, arabs and moslems
    Human : but...

vote happens....

Brexit voter : yippee
    TCS : yippee
    Wipro : yippee
    Human :
    no. I (well it was actually me, the PM on the supplier side and the PM on the customer side) decided the resource may not be as skilled as we desire based on the day rate. peanuts/monkeys etc.

Read what I wrote.

And it wasn't lack of skill that f**ked it up. It was lack of speaking English as a first language.
    Apparently "are you ready to go? This needs to be done no earlier than midday so DON'T DO IT BEFORE" means "do it now".

Is judging someone's language skills in English, based on their mother country/tongue racist? If it is then I'm racist.

I did. Don't make sweeping statements if you aren't prepared to receive the same.

And yes I agree real skill level (sorry common language is a skill), cultural and business norms are important in projects.
    Everything in writing is a good call.

I did wonder why one of the best PM's I worked with called us all when it was nearly time for us start something in live. Then a fill in guy took over while he was on holiday and about 20% of the resources fecked up and impacted my work.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    So you decided on someone's skill based on their mother country - bloody racist.
    no. I (well it was actually me, the PM on the supplier side and the PM on the customer side) decided the resource may not be as skilled as we desire based on the day rate. peanuts/monkeys etc.

Read what I wrote.

And it wasn't lack of skill that f**ked it up. It was lack of speaking English as a first language.
    Apparently "are you ready to go? This needs to be done no earlier than midday so DON'T DO IT BEFORE" means "do it now".

Is judging someone's language skills in English, based on their mother country/tongue racist? If it is then I'm racist.
    Last edited by Lance; 25 September 2018, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    On a project a few years ago. We needed a SAP technical person to update an SAP interface to a different FTP server. Cap Gem quoted £150 a day for a bob.
    We said : we know it's simple but we'd rather pay £1000 a day and get it right as this go-live is VERY high profile and we're already into the project to the tune of £500,000 so another £1k is neither hear nor there.

They refused. He ****ed it up.

So you decided on someone's skill based on their mother country - bloody racist.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Internal rate card when I contracted for a major US based IT company

Salesforce.com technical lead US based $750 per day
    India based $9 per day
    India based on-shored to UK $90 per day
    On a project a few years ago. We needed a SAP technical person to update an SAP interface to a different FTP server. Cap Gem quoted £150 a day for a bob.
    We said : we know it's simple but we'd rather pay £1000 a day and get it right as this go-live is VERY high profile and we're already into the project to the tune of £500,000 so another £1k is neither hear nor there.

They refused. He ****ed it up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X