• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BoJo Resignation!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BoJo Resignation!"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    And the other thing about this that really ****s me off about this cockspangle.

As Foreign Secretary he was due to host the Western Balkans summit in London yesterday.
    The UK could pick up some tips on how to recover from a failed state condition.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    BoJo Resignation!

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Preparing for PM role?
    And the other thing about this that really ****s me off about this cockspangle.

As Foreign Secretary he was due to host the Western Balkans summit in London yesterday.

May talks about security etc with the EU, yet this wankpuffin decides its better in his own interests not to postpone his resignation for one ******* day, and to leave the summit hanging.

At a time when national security is coming to the fore, Russia are still making noises about the Crimea and Ukraine, we’re hosting Trump who is making noises about pulling the US out of NATO, and he decides his own ambitions are more important.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Preparing for PM role?
    Self centered twunt.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Nope, we've already voted. One way or another we're leaving!
    But that’s the problem right there. “One way or another” implies that you did not know specifically what you were voting for.

You’ve voted for the vague concept of “leaving”. How we are leaving has been left up to the politicians.

Sky News ran a poll last night where 64% of people did not trust Theresa May to get the “best deal for Britain”. Even two years later, with no evidence that there is any combination of deals that would be better than what we currently have, the people want unicorns. They simultaneously say Leave means Leave, and that we want the best deal. Both cannot be true, and whatever deal we do get will require compromise on our part and an economic hit. And the politicians are still too scared to tell the truth out loud.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

In a well governed democracy, the burning cretinism of the mob must be tempered by the cooling springs of reflection and the passage of time.

Benjamin Franklin

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Second referendum. Three options:

- Remain in EU
    - Leave EU but remain in EEA
    - Leave EU and adopt Canada model

Voters mark their first preference with 1 and second preference with 2. If in the first count. no option get a majority of first preference votes, then the option with the lowest score has its second preference vote distributed to the other options.

Then negotiate with the EU on that basis.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Unfortunately, this is ruled out by 1 above. We shouldn’t have even thought about triggering A50 until we had impact assessments done and a workable plan (read: one that might be acceptable to the EU’s red lines).
    The biggest problem so far imo is that May triggered a countdown while still expecting and promising unicorns, and she’s spent the last 18 months trying to come to an internal agreement on what we want.
    I accept that. I'd go as far as to say that the impact assessments and workable plan should have been done and presented to the people as the referendum choice.
    Still just a yes/no vote, but one where both sides present their arguments based on research, not fear/lies.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    1. Brexit negotiations should be cross-party, not just one. This affects the country's future and should not be determined by a bunch of Oxbridge chums.
    Tend to agree, especially given the different results in Scotland, NI, Gibraltar, etc. Cross-party and cross-regional.

2. Those who campaigned for it should be leading the negotiations. Their salaries, bonuses, pensions, etc should be tied to them getting a successful outcome.
    Hmmm. Out of all the prominent Brexiters, only Gove has managed to retain any semblance of reason. Happy to be pointed in the direction of any others, but Farage, BoJo, Fox, Davis, Hoey, JRM, etc don’t have a brain cell or a shred of integrity between them.
    I wouldn’t put them in charge of a chip shop, let alone the biggest change to the country in decades.

3. People running the country should not be allowed to own or have shares in any organisation that are financial investment related.
    Agreed. Though there are registers of minister’s interests, at times it feels like the foxes guarding the henhouse. I’d go a step further and suggest that ministers should actually have some experience in their portfolios (eg Minister of Science with a science background, Education with education background, etc). I quite like that Sajid Javid’s brother is a cop, though a mate of mine in the Met is not yet sure.

4. A50 was supposed to be triggered the Monday after the vote. It wasn't. We should have been out by now, and the country (both businesses and people) should at least have an idea of where we are going. At what point does this become like a planning application? "Oh, you haven't started yet, you need to re-apply" - whether that means another referendum, or another general election, the intransigence of the Tory government is appalling.
    Unfortunately, this is ruled out by 1 above. We shouldn’t have even thought about triggering A50 until we had impact assessments done and a workable plan (read: one that might be acceptable to the EU’s red lines).
    The biggest problem so far imo is that May triggered a countdown while still expecting and promising unicorns, and she’s spent the last 18 months trying to come to an internal agreement on what we want.

5. Uncertainty is bad for the country. The only people it works for are fund managers and hedge betters. See point 3.
    Yep. Requires strong leadership and direction, and details instead of soundbites. Sadly lacking in any of the current parties in terms of Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied

- Remain in EU

Voters mark their first preference with 1 and second preference with 2. If in the first count. no option get a majority of first preference votes, then the option with the lowest score has its second preference vote distributed to the other options.

You missed the fourth option, leave the EU and go on to WTO-only. There are a significant chunk of voters that are swayed by this “burn it all” option, and until someone in power tells JRM to **** off with the damage that this option will do to the country it remains as “True Brexit” for a lot of people.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post

In the last referendum most voters didn't know what EU means... now you want to bamboozle them with all them terms like EEA and Canada model??
    They also had no idea what leaving the EU means.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    1st Ref saw a small victory for Leave but no clear idea what 'leave' really meant. For me the GE was then a question to the people, what type of Brexit do you want, full, hard, take how we give it to you (UKIP) or a softer, more measured and controlled Brexit (Tory or Labour). The Remainers had a choice to vote for Lib Dems if they wanted to stop Brexit but they didn't so that was a bit of tough luck.

UKIP and it's hard Brexit got trounced. Softer Brexit Tories got a majority in a coalition. The right of the Tory party, and Kippers, need to just shut the **** up and let the government that was voted in get the best Brexit it can (in my opinion there can be no good Brexit, but given we're gong out let's at least get the best we can eh?).

Problem is, there is this annoying gobby minority that need to listen to its own rants - they lost, the election, and just need to let the winners of that election crack on now. If they really think they can do better, start up their own party (or join UKIP), push for a new GE and see what the public say. My guess is they will vote in another hung parliament of moderate Brexit parties.

Rant over

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied

- Remain in EU

In the last referendum most voters didn't know what EU means... now you want to bamboozle them with all them terms like EEA and Canada model??

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Suggestions are good.

The slanging matches and utter vitriol spouted by some are not.

- Remain in EU

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    That's not good. My dad was staying with me over the weekend so I bought the DM for him (showing respect for my parents). I didn't realise it would turn me that quick!
    The press equivalent of Novichok!

Looks like you got a strong dose!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I genuinely can't see anything I disagree with there.
    That's not good. My dad was staying with me over the weekend so I bought the DM for him (showing respect for my parents). I didn't realise it would turn me that quick!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X