• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If the referendum had gone the other way..."

Collapse

• motoukenin
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    ...how would the Bremainers react to Brexiters requesting another referendum?

This question is prompted by the news that the evil Scottish Harridan is going to push for another referendum very soon.
    Think UK should just get on with it, uncertainty is causing most of the damage.

Just put it down as the biggest self inflicted wound of 2019 and move on to the recovery phase, should be back to where we were 2 years ago by 2029.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    The same should apply to having a Scottish independence referendum, every few years a new one, no one wants that
    Well except for wee Jimmy Krankie (aka Sturgeon), who would quite happily have them on a monthly basis until she finally manages to dupe enough people into voting for Independence.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    So you’re saying that it’s all sunny uplands and that there is no economic pressure or any expected friction in cross-border trade due to Brexit?

No, I didn't. I said companies will hide behind Brexit to hide their own incompetencies and use Brexit rather than management failings as an excuse. Please don't try and lead the witness.

Can’t argue much with you there.
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Think Blair and Cameron were bad ? just wait. Can't wait for LordMr Rees-Mogg to take over

I also find it interesting how Blair is deemed bad because of immigration, when it doubled after he left.

I can't understand why everyone lauds Margaret Thatcher, the lack of immigration was simply due to the baby boomers coming through and nothing to do with government policy, otherwise the mass migration of the 1960's would have continued. May has been "clamping down" on it for nigh on 6 years.

Restricting things to immigration isn't the way to judge PMs. HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    The people need a good hard Brexiting....

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So to summarise: a real a.k.a. hard Brexit is what is required at this time.
    If it doesn't work, I'm sure the people will make their feelings known
    The people need a good hard Brexiting....

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There's not much he does understand.
    Perhaps the vote should be limited to those with an IQ over 100, who might at least have some idea of what they are voting for?
    But democracy works so well! Look at the presidents of USA, Russia and Turkey.

I think votes should be weighted according to how much tax you pay.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Companies will hide behind circumstances to make cuts - they always have.
    The first wave of redundancies I remember were due to "overspend as part of the y2k project". Since then there's been a variety of not-management-incompetency-honest-guv excuses, the most recent of which managers are hiding behind is the Brexit vote when there's been sod all impact on their business due to a vote in 2016.

The main cause of the problem is David Cameron. The vote in the referendum gave him a mandate to leave but also a mandate to go to the EU negotiating table with a voter-backed threat to leave unless we got a better deal. Instead he ran off crying that he'd lost. Before that he cocked up by running a smear/fear campaign for Remain rather than trying to clearly explain to the voter what Brexit would/could mean in terms of immigration (hot potato), jobs (another big issue) and future access to/from Europe. I thought Tony Blair was the most incompetent PM in history, but Cameron managed to outdo him.
    Think Blair and Cameron were bad ? just wait. Can't wait for LordMr Rees-Mogg to take over

I also find it interesting how Blair is deemed bad because of immigration, when it doubled after he left.

I can't understand why everyone lauds Margaret Thatcher, the lack of immigration was simply due to the baby boomers coming through and nothing to do with government policy, otherwise the mass migration of the 1960's would have continued. May has been "clamping down" on it for nigh on 6 years.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    The first wave of redundancies I remember were due to "overspend as part of the y2k project". Since then there's been a variety of not-management-incompetency-honest-guv excuses, the most recent of which managers are hiding behind is the Brexit vote when there's been sod all impact on their business due to a vote in 2016.
    So you’re saying that it’s all sunny uplands and that there is no economic pressure or any expected friction in cross-border trade due to Brexit?

The main cause of the problem is David Cameron. The vote in the referendum gave him a mandate to leave but also a mandate to go to the EU negotiating table with a voter-backed threat to leave unless we got a better deal. Instead he ran off crying that he'd lost. Before that he cocked up by running a smear/fear campaign for Remain rather than trying to clearly explain to the voter what Brexit would/could mean in terms of immigration (hot potato), jobs (another big issue) and future access to/from Europe. I thought Tony Blair was the most incompetent PM in history, but Cameron managed to outdo him.
    Can’t argue much with you there.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Blair and Cameron look like Octavian compared to May.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But what will happen is that these self-inflicted woes will be blamed on the EU for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But what will happen is that these self-inflicted woes will be blamed on the EU for years to come.
    Yes fascinating isn't it.
    There hasn't been much research into the psychological profile of Brexiters but most on here seem to be losers looking to blame someone or something (anything) for their personal failings.
    That feeling is so strong that they really expect everything to change for them in March next year, even if most can't name a single thing that the EU has done that holds them back.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    That's why I'm in favour of Brexit, it's good to get rid of the "EU whining". By leaving everyone can focus better on their self-inflicted personal economic circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Given the closeness of the vote in a non-binding, non-supermajority referendum it was inevitable that, regardless of the result, another referendum would be called for. That was made clear by Farage before the 2016 result.

The difference though is that if Remain had won the Brexit side would still be arguing about sunlit uplands and unicorns. The silver lining here is that we have a tangible and more realistic outcome to discuss.
    That's why I'm in favour of Brexit, it's good to get rid of the "EU whining". By leaving everyone can focus better on their self-inflicted personal economic circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    So to summarise: a real a.k.a. hard Brexit is what is required at this time.
    If it doesn't work, I'm sure the people will make their feelings known

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    ...how would the Bremainers react to Brexiters requesting another referendum?

This question is prompted by the news that the evil Scottish Harridan is going to push for another referendum very soon.
    There wouldn't be the enormous changes as there will be now, so a second referendum wouldn't be required, at least for another 10-20 years or so.
    The same should apply to having a Scottish independence referendum, every few years a new one, no one wants that

Leave a comment:

Working...
X