• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brexit Transition

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit Transition"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Democratic decisions can be reversed with new democratic decisions, parliament is chosen every 4 years so why not have a new referendum after a couple of years, just having a single referendum is actually not democratic, especially one where no one knows what they actually voted for (and two years later still nobody knows)
    Oh dear, please tell me you're not allowed to vote. I'd also prefer it if you weren't allowed to reproduce, but that's probably asking way too much...

Edit - all of the crap what he said was supposed to be in bold, for it all is indeed bollox...

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Maybe you can't admit that those politicians leading you into the abyss are out and out liars, the blind leading the blind

Personally I want the UK to respect the people's vote and leave the EU when they should, next year. No transition period, nada as that is what was voted for ....
    WGAF what YOU want? twat.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You mean just keep having referendums until you get the result you wanted in the first place?

How very "EU"!

it's a dutch thing, they sit around drinking coffee and talking bolloks until they reach an agreement on when to have the next meeting.
    meanwhile the UK contractors are getting on with the job

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Democratic decisions can be reversed with new democratic decisions,
    You mean just keep having referendums until you get the result you wanted in the first place?

How very "EU"!

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Except you don't. You are desperately hoping that the democratic decision will somehow miraculously be reversed to suit your own narrow personal agenda.
    Won't be happening.

Get used to it!

HTH

Democratic decisions can be reversed with new democratic decisions, parliament is chosen every 4 years so why not have a new referendum after a couple of years, just having a single referendum is actually not democratic, especially one where no one knows what they actually voted for (and two years later still nobody knows)

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Except you don't. You are desperately hoping that the democratic decision will somehow miraculously be reversed to suit your own narrow personal agenda.
    Won't be happening.

Get used to it!

HTH

Except I do. Just leave, now...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Personally I want the UK to respect the people's vote and leave the EU when they should, next year.
    Won't be happening.

Get used to it!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Rare sighting of the Remoan Bus, kicking back, thinking itself smug. But wait, its ass is on fire!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Well it's interesting that you mention out-and-out liars. When does a misquote, with the intention to mislead, become a lie?

Walking the line... perhaps you need a bus instead?

Which bus do you believe? The Leave bus:

Or the one using figures from the back of an envelope:

Or is this more your style:

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Maybe you can't admit that those politicians leading you into the abyss are out and out liars, the blind leading the blind

Personally I want the UK to respect the people's vote and leave the EU when they should, next year. No transition period, nada as that is what was voted for ....
    Well it's interesting that you mention out-and-out liars. When does a misquote, with the intention to mislead, become a lie?

Walking the line... perhaps you need a bus instead?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I thought that was the speculative crap you were alluding to (the "second" column), since I couldn't find it in the DT archive.

You definitely need a honking red bus.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied

Is you argument that, over time, more of our regulations should be governed, centrally, by the EU? Or is it simply that we'd arrived at the sunlit uplands of perfect regulatory equivalence among EU unicorns and rainbows? Over what further areas of regulation would you like us to have ceded control?
    So you have nothing then, just the ideology of leaving without any detail required.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I thought that was the speculative crap you were alluding to (the "second" column), since I couldn't find it in the DT archive.

You definitely need a honking red bus.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Pfffft. Care to share the actual article with the actual quote intended to mean as you imply? Or do you need a bus for that?

28 February 2016:

Don’t be taken in by Project Fear – staying in the EU is the risky choice
    Boris Johnson Admits Writing Second Telegraph Column Backing 'Remain'

European Union (Accessions) Bill (Hansard, 21 May 2003)

I am not by any means an ultra-Eurosceptic. In some ways, I am a bit of a fan of the European Union. If we did not have one, we would invent something like it—some means of association between the sovereign states of Europe, perhaps an organisation in Brussels—overnight. I was educated at a European school. If I wanted to, I could sing the "Ode to Joy" in German.

My key point is that there are tangible benefits to our membership of the European Union. At some stage the game is up and all bets are off, as our political careers are all extinguished in one way or another. However, under the terms of the benign and beneficent Single European Act—several hon. Members have generously pointed out that it was a Conservative inspiration and that Mrs. Thatcher, as she then was, pushed forward with the extension of free market values across the European Community—I would be able to seek an alternative career as a dentist in Belgium or, with what we are inaugurating today, in Poland, Malta or any of the other accession countries.
    "I would vote to stay in the single market," Johnson told Sky News in 2013.

"I'm in favour of the single market. I want us to be able to trade freely with our European friends and partners."

"Personally, I would like to stay in the single market," he added during a visit to Paris that year.

"We need to stay in the council of ministers of the internal market. In my view, the British have done good things for Europe."
    Boris Johnson's secret pro-EU article revealed, expressing doubts over Brexit | The Independent

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3370296.html

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Much like the current crop:
    Pfffft. Care to share the actual article with the actual quote intended to mean as you imply? Or do you need a bus for that?

28 February 2016:

Don’t be taken in by Project Fear – staying in the EU is the risky choice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X