• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Governments first Brexit position paper fails to answer key questions"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Are you in a Cult?
    No you are. Problem is cult members never know they are in one.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/0...e-cult-brexit/
    May confirms Brexit is now a religious cult

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I am just wondering how long it will be before you insults degrade to simply 'N****r' and 'I f**ked your mum'

I think you're mixing up the sides when it comes to name calling etc:

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    What the f**k are you on about? Are you on drugs? Are you in a Cult? Or just a Cu*t?

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    No need to. He's got plenty of facts left yet, to slap you Brexiteers around the face with.

I admire you guys fighting back -into the valley of death etc. But we've got you surrounded. Nobody from any group has managed to identify an escape route. Not a single person.

We can bide our time.

Us and Vince - aka The Messiah
    What the f**k are you on about? Are you on drugs? Are you in a Cult? Or just a Cu*t?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Actually Portugal seems to be avoiding the mistake both Spain and the UK made i.e. building massive ugly large/tall new developments for speculation.
    The construction boom in Lisbon seems mainly to be aimed at renovating existing housing stock and bringing centuries-old buildings up to modern standards while keeping the pretty facades. Much more sensible in both keeping the character of the city and not causing unsustainable speculation.
    Planning permission is not given easily and standards are apparently very strict.
    Many parts of London have been ruined by over-development e.g. Vauxhall/Battersea.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I am just wondering how long it will be before you insults degrade to simply 'N****r' and 'I f**ked your mum'

Where was the insult in my last post? I can only see statements of fact.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    A construction frenzy is the poor man's way of trying to stimulate an economy, typically used by undeveloped economies to give themselves an initial boom. But when resorted to by a supposedly developed economy like Spain it's a disgrace (although sad to say the UK seems to be trying much the same).

In any case it usually ends with a huge bubble that bursts. So seeing loads and loads of tower blocks going up in Spain is not a promising sign of recovery, but a symptom of desperation that will probably end in economic disaster.
    What like in London?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-london-market

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tainted-wealth

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Not sure I am going to put much value on someone who has Clooney as their avatar.
    An easy mistake you made. A lot of people can't tell us apart.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    No need to. He's got plenty of facts left yet, to slap you Brexiteers around the face with.

I admire you guys fighting back -into the valley of death etc. But we've got you surrounded. Nobody from any group has managed to identify an escape route. Not a single person.

We can bide our time.

Not sure I am going to put much value on someone who has Clooney as their avatar.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied

We can bide our time.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You're confusing (it seems to be a constant state with you) Spain's unsustainable property boom which occurred before the great recession of 2008 with its current, more healthy, export led boom. Like I said, severe austerity has a habit of crushing inefficient businesses and ideas and excess. Those that survive are super fit. Same thing happned to businesses here in the 80s.
    The good news is that you can buy a property in Spain relatively cheaply now (as there is a glut that was created 10 years ago) and wait for capital gains as the economy expands.
    Hey maybe Brexit is a good idea, I reckon the resulting austerity will be great for some sectors of the British economy - it'll be a much smaller economy but those businesses that survive will be world class

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ivity-boe-says

Foreign-owned companies are beating their domestic peers when it comes to the U.K.’s productivity, according to Bank of England research.

They’re around twice as productive as domestically owned firms, according to BOE staff Sandra Batten and Dena Jacobs, who examined data from around 40,000 companies. That’s because they invest more in research and development, are better managed, collaborate with other organizations and promote the diffusion of ideas, the authors said in a post Thursday on the BOE’s blog.
    After Brexit Britain will have to rely on its own companies, doesn't bode well because in my experience this is not new, it has been like that since the 1950's at least.

British companies are run by Jacob-Rees Moggs' educated at Eton.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 August 2017, 11:31.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You're confusing (it seems to be a constant state with you) Spain's unsustainable property boom which occurred before the great recession of 2008 with its current, more healthy, export led boom. Like I said, severe austerity has a habit of crushing inefficient businesses and ideas and excess. Those that survive are super fit. Same thing happned to businesses here in the 80s.
    The good news is that you can buy a property in Spain relatively cheaply now (as there is a glut that was created 10 years ago) and wait for capital gains as the economy expands.
    Hey maybe Brexit is a good idea, I reckon the resulting austerity will be great for some sectors of the British economy - it'll be a much smaller economy but those businesses that survive will be world class
    Last edited by sasguru; 17 August 2017, 11:19.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Was in Lisbon a couple of weeks ago and it's obviously in the throes of a massive boom. Cranes everywhere, incessant building.
    Spain is growing at >3% per year
    The direction of travel is at least as important as the current state.
    It may be that the German medicine is beginning to work and the southern states have adjusted after a period of great pain to start the journey of becoming more competitve within the Euro - the end of the great Recession also helps, of course.
    Previously to the EU they were locked into an endless cycle of devaluation to keep competitve - it's wasn't a good long term propect as they well know, which is why they're for the European project.

I'm afraid your thinking is out of date.
    Your point?

There's A Lesson In Spain's Surreal, Unfinished Cities | HuffPost

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    A construction frenzy is the poor man's way of trying to stimulate an economy, typically used by undeveloped economies to give themselves an initial boom. But when resorted to by a supposedly developed economy like Spain it's a disgrace (although sad to say the UK seems to be trying much the same).

In any case it usually ends with a huge bubble that bursts. So seeing loads and loads of tower blocks going up in Spain is not a promising sign of recovery, but a symptom of desperation that will probably end in economic disaster.
    In this case you're wrong, the building work is because Lisbon has become the hot destination in Europe and every man and his dog are buying there.
    The beautiful people from Europe have just discovered it, lots of startups and businesses relocating because they're offering a good tax deal - no personal tax for 10 years I think, provided certain conditions are met.

Tax in Portugal for Expats | Experts for Expats
    The ultimate pension freedom: Retire in Portugal and reduce your tax - Telegraph

Flying there next week to view some properties, getting uneasy about having too much on the stock markets.
    Although I wish I'd done this a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by sasguru; 17 August 2017, 10:40.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    While I agree entirely with that, I was amazed to learn that once he was a Professor of economics at Nottingham University, and Chief Economist at Shell. I guess sadly the ravages of old age can afflict anyone.
    Also Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills 2010-2015.

So basically about as credible as you could possibly be to make such remarks.

I don't think if I were you I would be seeking to pass judgements on a CV like that...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X