• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: More Brexit doom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More Brexit doom"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Wages goes down as high earning foreigners leave

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Now all those foreigners who work for peanuts are f**king off the British can get a look in.
    Oh Dear - down goes productivity again.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    UK unemployment drops to 1.49m - BBC News

UK unemployment fell by 64,000 to 1.49 million in the three months to May, official figures show.

Now all those foreigners who work for peanuts are f**king off the British can get a look in.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This is a good move to shift the emphasis of the debate to the fish industry which produces about 20 million pounds a year in tax revenue to take everyone's mind off the billions that will be lost from the finance industry post Brexit.

Excellent diversion tactics by the Environment minister.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I never had any.
    Well you're missing the comedy show.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I know. The Brexit catastrophe seems to have impaired your sense of fun.
    I never had any.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Dublin Bay prawns, scampi and langoustines are one and the same.
    I know. The Brexit catastrophe seems to have impaired your sense of fun.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    They are obtainable from outside of UK territorial waters, and this may provide an easier supply chain for EU customers.
    Dublin Bay prawns, scampi and langoustines are one and the same.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    What's that got to do with the prawns?
    They are obtainable from outside of UK territorial waters, and this may provide an easier supply chain for EU customers.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I guess the argument is where do the those that buy these Dublin Bay prawns get them from if not the UK fishing fleet?

On another note, it is quite amazing they are not appreciated here. Absolutely lovely.

Oh, and I just found this to see the waters they can be caught in; quite an interesting article if you like that sort of thing ( ):

Prawn, Langoustine: A Guide to Handling and Quality - The Fish Site
    The Clyde estuary has pretty much no fishing left, same with NW Scotland. It's all langoustine now. The trawled stuff generally is cheaper than the creel caught stuff. Clyde caught stuff also gets good prices based on reputation. It was a great market for a long time, but without free trade and customs union, it will die from a UK perspective.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Dublin Bay isn't in UK territorial waters.
    What's that got to do with the prawns?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I guess the argument is where do the those that buy these Dublin Bay prawns get them from if not the UK fishing fleet?

On another note, it is quite amazing they are not appreciated here. Absolutely lovely.

Oh, and I just found this to see the waters they can be caught in; quite an interesting article if you like that sort of thing ( ):

Dublin Bay isn't in UK territorial waters.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Don't know about the whitefish fleet, but, certainly in the langoustine market, there is no real UK market for it. I've got a prawn boat (premium stuff, all creel caught) and the local fishmonger sells that stuff at about 30% less than the proper wholesale price cause, basically, very few people buy them. The catch from my boat goes straight to a processor 3 times a week, who pays top price for tubed prawns (i.e complete and still wriggling). Stuff gets picked up around 3.00 PM and is in France, Spain and Italy being delivered to end buyers the following morning. No single market and no customs union removes that market. Loss of that market will put the two guys who work my boat on the dole and leave me with a worthless licence and a big lump of pretty useless boat.

Generally, the people I know in the fishing industry can't see past todays weather forecast.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Best ask them that, although the fisherman I spoke to last week wished they'd "just get on with it".
    Don't know about the whitefish fleet, but, certainly in the langoustine market, there is no real UK market for it. I've got a prawn boat (premium stuff, all creel caught) and the local fishmonger sells that stuff at about 30% less than the proper wholesale price cause, basically, very few people buy them. The catch from my boat goes straight to a processor 3 times a week, who pays top price for tubed prawns (i.e complete and still wriggling). Stuff gets picked up around 3.00 PM and is in France, Spain and Italy being delivered to end buyers the following morning. No single market and no customs union removes that market. Loss of that market will put the two guys who work my boat on the dole and leave me with a worthless licence and a big lump of pretty useless boat.

Generally, the people I know in the fishing industry can't see past todays weather forecast.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    What about the fishermen who will then discover that having their 'own waters' also loses them instant access to a market they rely on ?
    Best ask them that, although the fisherman I spoke to last week wished they'd "just get on with it".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X