• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cater Allen vs HSBC/Santander Business banking"

Collapse

• matzie
    replied
    Cater Allen don't support Faster Payments, at least not properly. Set up a payment online before 3pm (or maybe 4?) and the next day at somewhere between 1pm and 2pm it will go into the target account as a Faster Payment. I find that quite annoying but no other complaints with CA.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've had a Santander/Abbey business account since 2007 and for several years ALL my work was with overseas clients, and I hired up to 5 sub contractors at a time (probably 10 in total). I never had such problems as you describe... maybe CA have different back-end systems though.

90%+ of contractors ARE only in need of extremely simple banking, that's the whole point. One payment in a month, a handful of SO/DD for accountancy and so on, and the odd dividend or transfer to business savings account. In business banking terms, contractors only need "my first bank account"
    They may have different systems but, fundamentally, Cater Allen is a small player with very basic online services. They are not a clearing bank, unlike HSBC. Cater Allen use RBoS for clearing, via other intermediaries overseas. Overseas payments (particularly non-EU) require an essay of instructions. When you have multiple intermediaries in a chain, things can and generally do go wrong. These problems are not always caused by Cater Allen directly, but they are a structural symptom.

Likewise, almost all of my business comes from overseas and I am speaking from direct experience (of Cater Allen, not their parent, Santander). So, there are degrees of simplicity and, while I agree that contractors are definitely at one end of that spectrum, banks like Cater Allen are pretty inflexible to deviations from the norm.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I've had a Santander/Abbey business account since 2007 and for several years ALL my work was with overseas clients, and I hired up to 5 sub contractors at a time (probably 10 in total). I never had such problems as you describe... maybe CA have different back-end systems though.

90%+ of contractors ARE only in need of extremely simple banking, that's the whole point. One payment in a month, a handful of SO/DD for accountancy and so on, and the odd dividend or transfer to business savings account. In business banking terms, contractors only need "my first bank account"

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Money lenders have only been running based on interest since biblical (or earlier) times.
    In biblical and earlier times, yield curves probably weren't sat on by extraordinary monetary policy, but I digress...

My free bank charges no fees to send or receive payments and doesn't pay worse interest than my paid bank. And some of their additional services like overseas payments are also on a par or even cheaper in some cases.
    Overseas payments with Cater Allen? They are utterly hapless at sending or receiving overseas payments in my experience. They routinely lose foreign payments for days, even weeks in some cases. The exchange rates are poor and transaction fees poor/average. They would prefer not to have UK businesses with overseas clients, as it doesn't fit their simplistic risk profiling in this new regulatory environment. Try searching CUK for recent experiences along these lines. Basically, if you're a very simple customer with simple needs, Cater Allen are fine (and their call centre staff are pretty good too). Otherwise, you're better off with HSBC, IMHO.

If you are keeping sizeable amounts in your business account, the fees you are charged are not where your bank is making money from you. Actually maybe they were introduced because there are so many tiny business making virtually no money, and the bank isn't interested in accounts with £24 in them
    Why would anyone keep a sizeable amount in their business current account when there are plenty of easy-access business savings accounts earning decent rates, relatively speaking?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The foundation of modern banking in the absence of QE, perhaps One way or another, whether paid upfront or skimmed from transaction costs elsewhere, fees are levied.
    Money lenders have only been running based on interest since biblical (or earlier) times.

My free bank charges no fees to send or receive payments and doesn't pay worse interest than my paid bank. And some of their additional services like overseas payments are also on a par or even cheaper in some cases.

If you are keeping sizeable amounts in your business account, the fees you are charged are not where your bank is making money from you. Actually maybe they were introduced because there are so many tiny business making virtually no money, and the bank isn't interested in accounts with £24 in them

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    If you have to call your bank, do you knock 10 minutes off your billing day?
    If you have to call your bank, do you consider that time well spent?

Banks make money from you by using your money, or charging you to borrow theirs. That's the foundation of modern banking - fees are not something essential. Typical business accounts pay damn-all interest.

I totally agree that for £5/month it's not a big deal, but as a customer with Santander (free) and HSBC (paid) they are pretty equivalent for a contractor - we need such a stripped down service.
    The foundation of modern banking in the absence of QE, perhaps One way or another, whether paid upfront or skimmed from transaction costs elsewhere, fees are levied.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you have to call your bank, do you knock 10 minutes off your billing day?

Banks make money from you by using your money, or charging you to borrow theirs. That's the foundation of modern banking - fees are not something essential. Typical business accounts pay damn-all interest.

I totally agree that for £5/month it's not a big deal, but as a customer with Santander (free) and HSBC (paid) they are pretty equivalent for a contractor - we need such a stripped down service.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    The "it's only £X and I'm happy to pay £X for what I get" argument doesn't make sense if you can get the same service for £0. It's on par with "you were happy to take the role for that rate, so the fact you now found the agent is taking 50% of the client's money is irrelevant".
    But can you get the same service for £0? Free banking (as in, free from monthly fees) is ultimately a flawed concept, as the banks are making money somewhere through their cost structure, which is often less transparent to the customer. Customers with very basic needs may come out ahead, others will not. On the whole, I would say Cater Allen are acceptable until you have a problem with them, but they do not provide an equivalent service to HSBC. When a bank starts to cost you time, especially at the rates most of us charge, "free" applies only in the most superficial way.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Bank charges are offset to a degree by interest earned and amount to a monstrous £100 a year. For the service and facilities I get in exchange, that seems cheap to me. YMMV.
    The "it's only £X and I'm happy to pay £X for what I get" argument doesn't make sense if you can get the same service for £0. It's on par with "you were happy to take the role for that rate, so the fact you now found the agent is taking 50% of the client's money is irrelevant".

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Why bang on about a bank that charges?
    I do all my banking online - the call centre is there in case you need it. Since I pay myself once a month it's quite easy to work out when you need to pay yourself for the cash to be there next day. I can't see how anyone can justify bank charges when there's a free alternative. You obviously have money to burn.
    Bank charges are offset to a degree by interest earned and amount to a monstrous £100 a year. For the service and facilities I get in exchange, that seems cheap to me. YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I've had my business account with Cater Allen for quite a while, never had any cause for complaint.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    People keep banging on about that like it's a good thing. Why do you need to call anyone to do routine banking? I haven't had to call HSBC for anything since 1998, and that was for a corrupted security token.

And what about same day payments...?
    Why bang on about a bank that charges?
    I do all my banking online - the call centre is there in case you need it. Since I pay myself once a month it's quite easy to work out when you need to pay yourself for the cash to be there next day. I can't see how anyone can justify bank charges when there's a free alternative. You obviously have money to burn.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Nowt wrong with Cater Allen. Completely free, online banking and a deferred debit card. That's about all you need as a contractor. Their call centre service is second to none also.
    People keep banging on about that like it's a good thing. Why do you need to call anyone to do routine banking? I haven't had to call HSBC for anything since 1998, and that was for a corrupted security token.

And what about same day payments...?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Cater Allen are part of Santander
    So what? First Direct is part of HSBC but they are quite different.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Cater Allen are part of Santander

Leave a comment:

Working...
X