• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Warranty clauses?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Warranty clauses?"

Collapse

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by TransitTrucker View Post
    Hi,

You slightly miss my point. It would indeed be the cowboy and/or the company. However, if the client wanted to ry it on because there is an warranty it would be at your expense to defend yourself. PI insurance won't help in this respect if the client is coming after you for free work. They only help if they are coming after you for money.

TT
    Your first post used warranty clause and defect correction clause interchangeably; that being the case, a wrong requirement given by the client, or a change of policy by the company, does not mean you would or should be liable.

If I buy a washing machine with a UK plug, then decide to ship it abroad, I'd have a hard time claiming a warranty fix because it doesn't have a funny foreign plug.

Leave a comment:

• TransitTrucker
    replied
    Good answers and good points.

Please guys, just read your contract and beware of the warranty clause that may be lurking in there.

TT

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    I'm not even sure how code monkeys could generally be liable for defects. The shipped product is a team effort - if it were reasonable to expect me to always deliver defect-free code then there would be no point in paying a whole raft of system testers.

If my code gets through QA meeting all acceptance criteria then it is by definition defect-free, unless we're talking about subtle and specific conditions which are required to break it, and then it comes down to how much the client wants to spend testing it - every client chooses where they think the returns aren't worth the additional cost.

Unless It's a small product which i'm entirely responsible for delivering, then a warranty clause doesn't even make sense.
    Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 16 April 2014, 23:23.

Leave a comment:

• TransitTrucker
    replied
    Originally posted by captainham View Post
    Maybe not the best example; that would be the fault of the cowboy manager (or business if they change their ”collection rules”), I don't see how either of those should fall to you as a warranty fix.
    Hi,

You slightly miss my point. It would indeed be the cowboy and/or the company. However, if the client wanted to ry it on because there is an warranty it would be at your expense to defend yourself. PI insurance won't help in this respect if the client is coming after you for free work. They only help if they are coming after you for money.

TT

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    Loads when you think about it E.g. documenting a "cowboy" manager's direct statement that you don't need to collect on invoices under £10. Business loses money because the "cowboy" didn't really know what he was talking about or the business changes its collection rules. They realise this 2 months after you leave. Who do you get to interrupt their current contract and fix the requirement?

Think about all the excuses the client could find to get free work out of you on the basis of a warranty. It is totally endless.

Is anyone signing up?
    Maybe not the best example; that would be the fault of the cowboy manager (or business if they change their ”collection rules”), I don't see how either of those should fall to you as a warranty fix.

Leave a comment:

• TransitTrucker
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    So haw many repairable defects does the average BA manage to generate then, that would makes such a clause worth anything?
    Loads when you think about it E.g. documenting a "cowboy" manager's direct statement that you don't need to collect on invoices under £10. Business loses money because the "cowboy" didn't really know what he was talking about or the business changes its collection rules. They realise this 2 months after you leave. Who do you get to interrupt their current contract and fix the requirement?

Think about all the excuses the client could find to get free work out of you on the basis of a warranty. It is totally endless.

Is anyone signing up?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This is the type of thing that distinguishes a contractor from an employee, and you can probably get them to add additional things in the contract that make you even more like a business, like stipulating use of your own office or subcontracting a part of the work out etc etc.

Sounds like a positive development.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Has anyone noticed that contracts issued recently contain a new warranty clause (defect correction clause) not seen in the past?

Is anyone signing up for this?
    Fixing defects on your own time is good karma for your IR35 status...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The clause I am talking about was in a Senior BA contract working in BI.
    So haw many repairable defects does the average BA manage to generate then, that would makes such a clause worth anything?

Leave a comment:

• TransitTrucker
    replied
    The clause I am talking about was in a Senior BA contract working in BI.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Not all of us are code monkeys...

Leave a comment:

• TransitTrucker
    started a topic Warranty clauses?

Warranty clauses?

Has anyone noticed that contracts issued recently contain a new warranty clause (defect correction clause) not seen in the past?

Is anyone signing up for this?

TT

Working...
X