• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Maximising offset mortgages"

Collapse

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Freelancer Financials View Post
    Their literature is confusing and a bit misleading. They're referring to sole traders. But I do seem to remember that you can use up to £5,000 as a directors loan. Need an accountant to confirm this though.
    Yep, they are referring to sole traders, but they talk about Ltd Companies. Either way, doesn't apply to me. I am applying for a mortgage with them at the moment and these new regulations seem to add a lot to the time taken.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Power Mortgages Ltd View Post
    That wasn't really the question though. The question was can you link a Limited Company bank account to the Offset mortgage and the answer is categorically, no.

What you're implying is that it is possible to take a Director's Loan out and pay that into your personal account which would then be offset to the mortgage, which, yes (so long as T&C's are abided by - check with your Accountant) is possible I believe, but the that wasn't the question.
    You can do it with a directors loan but the benefit is limited by the time restrictions. You have to pay the loan back within 9 months of company year end or pay tax on it and HMRC take a dim view of repaying the loan on a Friday and taking a new one on Monday and will treat it as income.

EM8565 - Close Companies: CTA10/Section 455 (Loans to Participators): Bed and Breakfasting

Leave a comment:

• Power Mortgages Ltd
    replied
    I'm not 100% sure, maybe an accountant can confirm this but I believe your entitled to use up to £5,000.00 (Directors loan).
    That wasn't really the question though. The question was can you link a Limited Company bank account to the Offset mortgage and the answer is categorically, no.

What you're implying is that it is possible to take a Director's Loan out and pay that into your personal account which would then be offset to the mortgage, which, yes (so long as T&C's are abided by - check with your Accountant) is possible I believe, but the that wasn't the question.

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    IIRC it's 10k from this year without BIK. Terms and conditions apply.
    Cheers for confirming.

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    You're
    Thanks!!!

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    I'm not 100% sure, maybe an accountant can confirm this but I believe your entitled to use up to £5,000.00 (Directors loan).
    IIRC it's 10k from this year without BIK. Terms and conditions apply.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Your absolutely right, it doesn't apply if you run a Limited Company. Their literature is confusing and a bit misleading. They're referring to sole traders.
    You're

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by Power Mortgages Ltd View Post
    Correct, this is not available to Ltd Co accounts which are a separate entity. More aimed at Partnerships and sole traders as I understand. The question has been posed to me many times before but sadly you cannot link Ltd Co accounts to the offset

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    Just been looking today and the Clydesdale offer an offset mortgage, offset against the business accounts.
    "Save on interest payments by linking your Clydesdale Bank current, savings or business accounts to your mortgage, and enjoy a discount on your interest rate for the first two years of your mortgage"

Before I call em up, has anyone used them for this? I would bet that it doesn't apply to the kind of ltd that I (and many others here) run, but you never know.
    Their literature is confusing and a bit misleading. They're referring to sole traders. But I do seem to remember that you can use up to £5,000 as a directors loan. Need an accountant to confirm this though.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Then I'd be Speling Bee Consulting Limited Ltd.
    Better go with Speling Bee Consulting Limited Ltd. formally trading as ... to be safe. Or you could wait a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    I've not read their terms but I'm pretty sure that when it says business, it means unincorporated business. Remember that your limited company is a separate entity to you as an individual.
    Yep, I understand that the business and me are separate entities, but as I couldn't get through to them yesterday I thought i'd ask here. As always, if it seems to good to be true...

Thanks though

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I wonder how Mr Yorkshire Bank Plc are Fascist Bastards is doing these days...
    He's my favourite.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Lots of people are their name Ltd.
    Then I'd be Speling Bee Consulting Limited Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm changing my name by deed poll to "Speling Bee Consulting Limited".
    Lots of people are their name Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'm changing my name by deed poll to "Speling Bee Consulting Limited".
    I wonder how Mr Yorkshire Bank Plc are Fascist Bastards is doing these days...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X