• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying stuff on eBay for company use"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I could easily buy a TV on the company credit card, with the company name on the invoice and put it in my living room. I don't see how the money gets from A to B or if the invoice names the company or the director of the company makes the slightest difference to that question.
    Different thing entirely though isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    In short, you're right, people probably worry too much about things like this but the more expensive it is, or the more likely it is that it could be construed as there being a personal benefit, or if it's a capital purchase, the more important it is to have proof it's in the company name.
    I could easily buy a TV on the company credit card, with the company name on the invoice and put it in my living room. I don't see how the money gets from A to B or if the invoice names the company or the director of the company makes the slightest difference to that question.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well, there is - there is the receipt of me purchasing it personally, and the accompanying expenses entry in my company accounts.
    What I mean is evidence of it being on the company's behalf, not that you paid for it.

In other words, there's a difference between the company's business expenses, and your business expenses.

Unfortunately, HMRC don't go into a great detail on this. They mention it here:
    Employment income: expenses payments and reimbursements

Businesses are often run in such a way that employees make payments on their employer's behalf. For example an employee may buy stamps for the employer and be paid from petty cash. This transaction is outside the scope of Section 62 and Section 72: the employee has received no money of his own on which we could make such a charge.
    It's a pretty trivial example though and one clearly wouldn't expect anything more than a simple receipt in this case.

Maybe an accountant would like to chip in on this one?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Buying something on the company's behalf is legitimate (although it's always better to try and pay for things using the company card) but there should really be some evidence of this unless it's for something trivial like stamps/stationary.
    Well, there is - there is the receipt of me purchasing it personally, and the accompanying expenses entry in my company accounts.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Yep. I don't know why people worry about this sort of thing so much. If you buy a train ticket to get you to your contract, you don't ask for it to have the company name on it, and most would just buy it personally and refund.
    The difference being, the train ticket would have to be reported on your P11D unless you have a dispensation and would strictly speaking be a taxable benefit unless you make an equivalent claim on your SAR.

Buying something on the company's behalf is legitimate (although it's always better to try and pay for things using the company card) but there should really be some evidence of this unless it's for something trivial like stamps/stationary.

In short, you're right, people probably worry too much about things like this but the more expensive it is, or the more likely it is that it could be construed as there being a personal benefit, or if it's a capital purchase, the more important it is to have proof it's in the company name.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    No different to buying anything else personally and getting reimbursed. Same rules: wholly and exclusively, etc...
    Yep. I don't know why people worry about this sort of thing so much. If you buy a train ticket to get you to your contract, you don't ask for it to have the company name on it, and most would just buy it personally and refund.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    Use your current ebay account, but add in a second billing address with the company name and use that, add your company credit card to paypal and use that.
    Therefore invoiced to company, and paid for by company, and not a personal transaction.
    That's what I do.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Not sure. But I don't really want my personal account linked to my company credit card either, so I just bought it personally and will treat it like buying something from Tesco/Staples for the business - keep the receipt and claim it back.
    That's what I do, bought a few servers, disks, RAM etc over the years, never had any problems. Client co source a lot of servers from eBay as well though I think they have an account in the name of the business.

Selling is probably a bit harder as you have to account for ebay & paypal deductions, I get around that by hoarding things and never actually selling them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Does Ebay reputation even matter for buyers?
    Not sure. But I don't really want my personal account linked to my company credit card either, so I just bought it personally and will treat it like buying something from Tesco/Staples for the business - keep the receipt and claim it back.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    I needed a gadget for testing, and the best place price & choice-wise was eBay for a 2nd-hand one.

I'd rather buy as the company but have built up a reputation with my personal account and used that.

Is this any different to buying anything else personally and getting reimbursed?
    No different to buying anything else personally and getting reimbursed. Same rules: wholly and exclusively, etc...

That said, I have separate Ebay/Paypal accounts for the company and me, the former being quite clearly in the company name. Nothing to hide but I don't really want Hector browsing my personal Ebay activity thank you.

If you do buy through a private Ebay account you can still pay via YourCo's Paypal account or company debit card and reimbursement would be a non-issue.

Does Ebay reputation even matter for buyers?

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Use your current ebay account, but add in a second billing address with the company name and use that, add your company credit card to paypal and use that.
    Therefore invoiced to company, and paid for by company, and not a personal transaction.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Is this any different to buying anything else personally and getting reimbursed?
    If you're purchasing on behalf of the company, there shouldn't be any implications and it shouldn't need to go on the P11D...however, I've always taken "purchased on behalf of the company" to mean the invoice should be in the company name.

However...I think if you make it clear to the seller you are purchasing on behalf of YourCo and they accept that and you have written evidence of this, that should be enough. Maybe you could ask the seller for an invoice in YourCo's name?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Buying stuff on eBay for company use

Buying stuff on eBay for company use

I needed a gadget for testing, and the best place price & choice-wise was eBay for a 2nd-hand one.

I'd rather buy as the company but have built up a reputation with my personal account and used that.

Working...
X