• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Companies House contributing to identity theft"

Collapse

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Unfortunately you now need to do this
    Been through it all ...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Having just been the victim of identity fraud where all they used was my name, address and DOB, with someone else's bank details, I can safely say it's a right royal pain in the butt!!! It's caused me no end of bother, time, and very slight financial pain.
    Unfortunately you now need to do this

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Having just been the victim of identity fraud where all they used was my name, address and DOB, with someone else's bank details, I can safely say it's a right royal pain in the butt!!! It's caused me no end of bother, time, and very slight financial pain.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    The whole duplicate NI number thing is quite scary really. The figures I've seen, although a few years old now, are:

2001 2,539

2002 2,418

2003 2,533

2004 1,896

2005 1,991

2006 1,984

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 17 Sep 2007 (pt 0029)

Worth noting that if you have a UTR too, so you file a tax return, I doubt you'd have a problem as there would be a further level of checking.
    Last edited by Clare@InTouch; 7 May 2014, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do you? Do you have information about it?
    Quick google search revealed this and this

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Governments and unique Id's - now that's an oxymoron - do you have any idea how many duplicated NI numbers are knocking around the country?
    Do you? Do you have information about it?

What about passport numbers?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by abbash View Post
    Age discrimination is ripe in the world of job seeking.
    If the age of the company director is available then if it happens that the director is the only employee of the company, the employer may not give the contract based on the director's age.

Even worse is some of the bad agencies will look at your age and rule your company out before even the potential employer gets to see your skills and that's what we are talking about!

I have approached my MP about the age information at least to omitted from company house's information but no luck there.

It is really terrible!
    Hope they do something about that soon.

Surely the potential employer/client company would have met and interviewed the candidate, in which case they'd have a good idea about their age anyway......

Leave a comment:

• abbash
    replied
    Company house should disclose age of the director who happens to be the only employee

Age discrimination is ripe in the world of job seeking.
    If the age of the company director is available then if it happens that the director is the only employee of the company, the employer may not give the contract based on the director's age.

Even worse is some of the bad agencies will look at your age and rule your company out before even the potential employer gets to see your skills and that's what we are talking about!

I have approached my MP about the age information at least to omitted from company house's information but no luck there.

It is really terrible!
    Hope they do something about that soon.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    As CIT said, such information is also useful to people who want to avoid being scammed. Looked into an investment a while back that looked a bit too good to be true and found online a) it had been going for too short a time to have any credentials and b) a founding director had been involved in a previous wonderful opportunity that left a lot of people out of pocket.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Governments and unique Id's - now that's an oxymoron - do you have any idea how many duplicated NI numbers are knocking around the country? Here's a clue - neither does the government.

That's why a unique id could never work.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    I don't even put my DOB on facebook

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Just an update on this - Companies House will shortly no longer be showing the full date of birth for a director, in an effort to reduce ID theft.

Page 17 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s-response.pdf

A few more changes detailed there too, in regard to annual returns, being able to add a trading address to the public register, and a faster striking off process.

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    I know of x 3 people in the last 2 months all company directors who have such fraud take place and they believe the fraudsters used company / house info. In all cases bank accounts were opened and they only got wind when activiation codes were posted to them.

I know its been happening for a while due to the info company houses and other websites have but it does seem to be picking up again.

Leave a comment:

• DannyR
    replied
    Unfortunately the unique ID isn't enough. I was looking up details of someone I used to know, and found that he now has 4 director IDs. Same name, DOB and address, but the records of his many companies opened and later closed due to not filing accounts are not linked. The only way to see this is to check all of his director IDs separately.
    Interesting but IMHO it's a Companies House bug. Companies House has everything it needs to uniquely identify a director before company accounts are filed.
    Also, regarding the unique director ID, IMHO this ID should also not something being made official / public but solely used by Companies House for their internal database as such an ID could probably be misused as well. A simple link from one director to all his/her past and present companies (including the companies which accounts haven't been filed) should be enough.

It is not difficult to find this stuff anyway, you could just buy a mailing list of thousands (or tens of thousands) of names & addresses.
    Well it's not difficult for someone to break into your home, but you still close your door, don't you? Think a few seconds why you do it.

And Clare already told you, you should not use your home address as your business address. Why isn't it your responsibility to avoid disclosing information you don't want to?
    Companies House has recently (a few years ago) made it possible to not publicly disclose the home address and it is indeed a good thing. In the news article, the guy whose identity was stolen had his home address displayed publicly because at the time he created his company this information was not yet hidable.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DannyR View Post
    I want public bodies like Companies House, local councils, etc... to avoid helping scammers and criminals stealing people's identity. Is is too much to ask?
    If you want to make things open, information has to be available.

It is not difficult to find this stuff anyway, you could just buy a mailing list of thousands (or tens of thousands) of names & addresses.

And Clare already told you, you should not use your home address as your business address. Why isn't it your responsibility to avoid disclosing information you don't want to?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X