• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Max "Tax free" div come April 6th"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
    Apologies, rushed post (now edited), thank you anyway for the needless explanation.

I doubt this is possible unless the market value of the property has increased significantly (at least 33.33%) as a BTL mortgage usually requires at least 75% LTV.
    you can if you increased your current mortgage for the deposit....

Leave a comment:

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
    The LTV when purchased is irrelevant, you need to be looking at the capital account of the owner when first made available to rent.
    Apologies, rushed post (now edited), thank you anyway for the needless explanation.

In essence you can remortgage up to the market value when first rented and still receive a deduction for interest payments.
    I doubt this is possible unless the market value of the property has increased significantly (at least 33.33%) as a BTL mortgage usually requires at least 75% LTV.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No problem Scrag!

Tax planning for rebels in Nicaragua, now that's a gap in the market for sure! Actually, I think I'll stick to contractor accounting.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    Judging by the posts here the rebels probably have a better grasp on their finances than most contractors.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 February 2014, 11:00.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    You might want to take a read of the following BIM45700 - Specific deductions - interest: Withdrawal of capital from a business and in particular example 2.

By your logic, you are implying that if you purchase a rental property outright for cash i.e. LTV of 0% you can never take out a mortgage on it and get a deduction for interest payments which is clearly wrong.

The LTV when purchased is irrelevant, you need to be looking at the capital account of the owner when first made available to rent. In essence you can remortgage up to the market value when first rented and still receive a deduction for interest payments.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    Of course the loan doesnt have to be secured on the rental property either. It can come from anywhere, but needs a paper trail.

restructuring finances on the residential property can prove beneficial to gain tax relief and a lower rate compared with btl mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Thanks Martin and Martin.

Will have a think about the suggestions.

ContraTax? Mainly tax planning for rebels in Nicaragua?
    No problem Scrag!

Tax planning for rebels in Nicaragua, now that's a gap in the market for sure! Actually, I think I'll stick to contractor accounting.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Thanks Martin and Martin.

Will have a think about the suggestions.

ContraTax? Mainly tax planning for rebels in Nicaragua?

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Martin makes a good point, this is common tax planning for rental property owners and is definitely worthwhile if the savings are significant enough to warrant the hassle.

The above point is very important. If you had equity in the property to begin with, you cannot remortgage the property with a higher LTV than you started with.
    You might want to take a read of the following BIM45700 - Specific deductions - interest: Withdrawal of capital from a business and in particular example 2.

By your logic, you are implying that if you purchase a rental property outright for cash i.e. LTV of 0% you can never take out a mortgage on it and get a deduction for interest payments which is clearly wrong.

The LTV when purchased is irrelevant, you need to be looking at the capital account of the owner when first made available to rent. In essence you can remortgage up to the market value when first rented and still receive a deduction for interest payments.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

replied
    equity in the rental when purchased etc.
    Martin makes a good point, this is common tax planning for rental property owners and is definitely worthwhile if the savings are significant enough to warrant the hassle.

The above point is very important. If you had equity in the property to begin with, generally you cannot remortgage the property beyond the capital introduced.
    Last edited by Martin at NixonWilliams; 26 February 2014, 15:36.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Interest is only about £75 of the 125, the rest is landlords insurance and services cover for boiler, plumbing, electrics etc..

Planning for it to be mortgage free by Oct 2015.

Thanks for your comments, very helpful.
    Scrag Meister,

Have you considered maximising the mortgage on the rental property to increase interest payments and thus reduce profit and therefore tax liability?

This might be a worth considering if you have a personal mortgage on your main residence that you could reduce by the equity released from the rental. Obviously there are a lot of other factors that need to be considered, effective rates of interest on each property, equity in the rental when purchased etc. but it could be a good bit of tax planning if your circumstances fit.

If this applies drop your accountant a line to discuss, or feel free to drop me a PM if you wish.

Hope this helps

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    Whether it is an interest-only mortgage or the interest element of a repayment mortgage, the deduction will be the same amount.

If he only has £125 of expenses the chances are that the property is mortgage-free.

Hope this helps.
    Craig
    Interest is only about £75 of the 125, the rest is landlords insurance and services cover for boiler, plumbing, electrics etc..

Planning for it to be mortgage free by Oct 2015.

Thanks for your comments, very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    Whether it is an interest-only mortgage or the interest element of a repayment mortgage, the deduction will be the same amount.
    Pretty much what I meant, apologies if it wasn't clear. It's the interest that is allowable, but the interest on an interest only mortgage may be higher than the interest on a repayment mortgage. Thus reducing profit, and tax. Could create other issues of course, but worth a mention.

There was a thread recently about taking out an increased mortgage on a rental property that may have some interesting bits of information in it too.

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    You could look into an interest only mortgage on the property, that would fully allowable against the income. Otherwise it's only the interest element.

If he only has £125 of expenses the chances are that the property is mortgage-free.

Hope this helps.
    Craig

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Many thanks.

That is good news and bad news

Good : I thought it was gonna be 40% on 600, but its not.

Bad : On income up to the 40% limit I actually pay more personal tax than if I didn't let the house out and took a max div.
    You could look into an interest only mortgage on the property, that would fully allowable against the income. Otherwise it's only the interest element.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Bad : On income up to the 40% limit I actually pay more personal tax than if I didn't let the house out and took a max div.
    There is the tax, but then there's also the £5,760 take home from renting the property too?

Sounds like two good's to me

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Correct, as your personal allowance is used up against your salary.

Correct again
    Many thanks.

That is good news and bad news

Good : I thought it was gonna be 40% on 600, but its not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X