• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving SJD Accountants"

Collapse

• MJHolohan
    replied
    Originally posted by Redspiros View Post
    Looks like it’s time to leave SJD.

Been with them 4 years and the last 2 have been shocking.

Most recently:
    1. SJD forgot I was on normal VAT and submitted wrong returns. Meaning I had to go back through 6 months of receipts.
    2. SJD forgot to send my last VAT return, resulting in a probationary period of 12 months.
    3. SJD forgot to do my end of year accounts. Had to remind them 3 weeks before the deadline.

They admitted to all of it, they just forgot!

I’ve asked them to refund my 6 months monthly fee as they didn’t forget to take that! I feel this is a reasonable request as they have provided no regular service.

I’m happy to pay for the Vat return and Company accounts as a one off then I leave.
    It would probably be easiest to get SJD to complete your year end accounts and tax return given you have mainly paid them for this now. Failing it shouldn't be too difficult for another accountant to rebuild your accounts from bank statements and expense claims (assuming you don't have too many transactions.)

Leave a comment:

• Redspiros
    replied
    Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
    If you are having to pay someone as one-off to do the accounts and VAT Return, make that person your new accountant, not SJD.
    Thanks for the advice, I was going to try but so close to the deadline I didn't want to risk extracting all my data from SJD and passing it over in time.

Leave a comment:

• craigy1874
    replied
    Originally posted by Redspiros View Post

Most recently:
    1. SJD forgot I was on normal VAT and submitted wrong returns. Meaning I had to go back through 6 months of receipts.
    2. SJD forgot to send my last VAT return, resulting in a probationary period of 12 months.
    3. SJD forgot to do my end of year accounts. Had to remind them 3 weeks before the deadline.

I’ve asked them to refund my 6 months monthly fee as they didn’t forget to take that! I feel this is a reasonable request as they have provided no regular service.

I’m happy to pay for the Vat return and Company accounts as a one off then I leave.
    If you are having to pay someone as one-off to do the accounts and VAT Return, make that person your new accountant, not SJD.

Leave a comment:

• Redspiros
    replied

Most recently:

Leave a comment:

• cloudninja
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell1 View Post
    Hello. New to the forum so be gentle! I’ve been with SJD for seven years. I’ve decided to leave as the service has changed and its seems to be support based vs an accountant providing advice to the client. I was without a named accountant for 4 months and even though I raised this several times I got no joy.
    Anyway I’ve decided to move on and now my Bookeeping data which is on there online tool they say they CANT provide to my new accountant and that I need to provide the data to my new accountant myself

I don’t feel like a client at all and am glad I’m finding this out now vs severs more years down the road

I find it astonishing that they cant extract my data and provide to me at my request

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any advise /direction you can give would be appreciated

Thanks
    I left SJD a few months ago, but it coincided with my year end, so the new account didn't want the data anyway.
    But what you can do is export everything as PDFs - its not ideal, but at least you will have all the data.

Leave a comment:

• Chart Accountancy
    replied
    Hello. New to the forum so be gentle! I’ve been with SJD for seven years. I’ve decided to leave as the service has changed and its seems to be support based vs an accountant providing advice to the client. I was without a named accountant for 4 months and even though I raised this several times I got no joy.
    Anyway I’ve decided to move on and now my Bookeeping data which is on there online tool they say they CANT provide to my new accountant and that I need to provide the data to my new accountant myself

I don’t feel like a client at all and am glad I’m finding this out now vs severs more years down the road

I find it astonishing that they cant extract my data and provide to me at my request

Thanks
    If you are moving mid-year to a new accountant, ask SJD for the management accounts or trial balance at the month end you are leaving. This will capture your company position at the month end, SJD must provide you at least with this should they can not extract and send you the files with all data from their tool. We have had a few clients from SJD recently but they all used their spreadsheet. We had a client from a different accountant using their portal and we just ask the accountant for the trial balance at the month end, this would be normally what your accountant would need to set up your opening position in FreeAgent. For your own bookkeeping, you will just need to have the supporting invoices, receipts and bank statements to support the figures.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Were you using the sjd online tool ?
    No, but it's absolute garbage that they cannot provide the data. Either through their online tool or manually if they have to.

Find a decent accountant and they should deal with them. I'm so glad I left them, my new accountant and FreeAgent are a breath of fresh air.

Leave a comment:

• Powell1
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Yes I was.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    I left SJD after well over 10 years because the service wasn't what it used to be. I moved to another accountant who dealt with SJD from the off and got everything they needed through professional clearance. I've never had to speak or email SJD once I'd told them I was going. Find a decent accountant and they should deal with it all for you.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied

Thanks
    I left SJD after well over 10 years because the service wasn't what it used to be. I moved to another accountant who dealt with SJD from the off and got everything they needed through professional clearance. I've never had to speak or email SJD once I'd told them I was going. Find a decent accountant and they should deal with it all for you.

Leave a comment:

• Powell1
    replied
    Leaving SJD

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Originally posted by ravenscroft View Post
    Point is about FreeAgent. You enter the data/upload statements and the outputs - VAT Returns etc are automatically generated. With a spreadsheet - mistakes are made, and its very opaque. In FreeAgent you can see current/future liabilities - rather than ask the 'accountant' to interpret the spreadsheet.
    No its not you - the bloke who sold SJD and then started another one
    :-) Thank you

Leave a comment:

• ravenscroft
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    Might be helpful to the OP if you say which accountant. (Hope its us hope its us hopes its us. Pretty sure it’s not us)
    Point is about FreeAgent. You enter the data/upload statements and the outputs - VAT Returns etc are automatically generated. With a spreadsheet - mistakes are made, and its very opaque. In FreeAgent you can see current/future liabilities - rather than ask the 'accountant' to interpret the spreadsheet.
    No its not you - the bloke who sold SJD and then started another one

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's a very kind offer but I'm sure he'll be fine. I was thinking just all friendly like. Take him up the oxo tower to discuss his thunderclap experiences over a hot lunch. Nothing to worry about

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Leaving SJD Accountants

Originally posted by ravenscroft View Post
    Totally agree.
    Came from SJD spreadsheets - and now dealing with incorrect Accounts submissions.
    Moved to FreeAgent Accountant. Such a breeze to use and is supported by lots of Accountants if you ever move. Well designed software IMHO
    Might be helpful to the OP if you say which accountant. (Hope its us hope its us hopes its us. Pretty sure it’s not us)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X