• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flight Training = Business Expense?"

Collapse

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    I once flew with an accountant who said he would occasionally fly to client meetings and expense it through his business, because that was more 'efficient' than say driving cross country. On an accountants day rate perhaps that could be justified but in reality he was just pursuing his passion of a hobby.
    It probably works out if you billing expensive flights as a group instead - I worked with one consultancy who used to fly five of them in from Switzerland each week in the boss's plane, but billed five first class flights instead to make it worth their while.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    A friend of mine considered the same thing a few years back, and the answer is an unequivocal "no".

As much as you think it would improve the efficiency of the employee (which I disagree with anyway), HMRC wouldn't see it that way.
    Agreed. The deciding factor is that you'd be receiving a recognised qualification (pilot's licence) of benefit personally and not a professional requirement of your job.

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Once you know how to fly, then you can expense the hire cost of the plane, but I really can't see how it works from an economics point of view even.
    I once flew with an accountant who said he would occasionally fly to client meetings and expense it through his business, because that was more 'efficient' than say driving cross country. On an accountants day rate perhaps that could be justified but in reality he was just pursuing his passion of a hobby.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by sgxluk View Post
    Question is this:- I wish to learn to fly so that I may, when necessary, hire an aircraft to fly to client meetings or to carry out work. Therefore, I wish to investigate whether the company could pay a proportion (50/50 seems fair as I may fly for pleasure later), or indeed all of my flight training expenses. This doesn't seem unreasonable as it is to improve the efficiency of the employee & of the business & it genuinely would be reasonable, necessary & for business purposes.
    A friend of mine considered the same thing a few years back, and the answer is an unequivocal "no".

As much as you think it would improve the efficiency of the employee (which I disagree with anyway), HMRC wouldn't see it that way.

Once you know how to fly, then you can expense the hire cost of the plane, but I really can't see how it works from an economics point of view even.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    daily commute? what's wrong with the hotels?
    Yes, MyCo has a modular hotel on jet packs, which flies around the country to meet my commuting needs.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    daily commute? what's wrong with the hotels?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I'm thinking of taking Spaceman lessons, I can get from Leeds to Farnborough by Soyuz via Baikonur before I even took off.

Can I claim for the spacesuit too - no duality there...

Looking at this second hand Vostok, one owner since new in 1961, a Y. Gagarin, only re-entered once, full service history, tax-exempt, 5.1" to the gallon....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by sgxluk View Post
    Hi Folks,

Long time contractor & lurker on these forums hopefully asking a question which wont get me shouted at...tooo loudly. In actual fact I see this one was asked back in 2008 but only with a few sarcastic responses.

MyCo has quite a bit of work where actually it would be more economical to fly to the client site daily or however often, than it would be to actually drive there & sit in traffic for hours, or take ages to get there. Some of this stuff is significant - we have clients in the North East which is 5 hours by train, about the same by car, or 2 by light aircraft. Another instance - short journey to a client site takes 4 hours by car, it would be 45 minutes by light aircraft - call it just over an hour all in.

Question is this:- I wish to learn to fly so that I may, when necessary, hire an aircraft to fly to client meetings or to carry out work. Therefore, I wish to investigate whether the company could pay a proportion (50/50 seems fair as I may fly for pleasure later), or indeed all of my flight training expenses. This doesn't seem unreasonable as it is to improve the efficiency of the employee & of the business & it genuinely would be reasonable, necessary & for business purposes.

Sensible answers welcome....& a bit of sarcasm too if you feel like it
    If you couldn't drive, would driving lessons be claimable without BIK?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Good luck with that.

Curiously one of my businesses years ago provided services to real pilots converting to jaa.

They always struggled with getting any of their costs through their respective tax authorities.

Still I can guarantee one thing. Any claim will be 100% successful until challenged. Then it might not be.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Duality of purpose means no chance - unless you are currently an unqualified commercial pilot of course...

Next time, read the answers.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Sleeper sockie?

Leave a comment:

• sgxluk
    started a topic Flight Training = Business Expense?

Flight Training = Business Expense?

Hi Folks,

Long time contractor & lurker on these forums hopefully asking a question which wont get me shouted at...tooo loudly. In actual fact I see this one was asked back in 2008 but only with a few sarcastic responses.

MyCo has quite a bit of work where actually it would be more economical to fly to the client site daily or however often, than it would be to actually drive there & sit in traffic for hours, or take ages to get there. Some of this stuff is significant - we have clients in the North East which is 5 hours by train, about the same by car, or 2 by light aircraft. Another instance - short journey to a client site takes 4 hours by car, it would be 45 minutes by light aircraft - call it just over an hour all in.

Sensible answers welcome....& a bit of sarcasm too if you feel like it

Working...
X