• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company Xmas Party - Ltd co sole employee / director"

Collapse

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Martin, you sound as if you feel cheapened and used.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I had a discussion with my accountant last year who wouldn't accept this principle. Of course it's my decision, but are we sure?
    Yes - it's per head not per employee. You can only claim the VAT on the portion that relates to staff, but the overall cost includes all staff and guests.

There is an exemption from tax, NICs and reporting if you provide a party or similar function for employees that meets the following three conditions:
    it's an annual event, such as a Christmas party or summer barbeque
    the event is open to all of your employees
    the cost per head of the event isn't more than £150

HM Revenue & Customs: Social functions for employees, including annual parties

The cost of the function includes VAT and the cost of transport and/or overnight accommodation if these are provided to enable employees to attend. Divide the total cost of each function by the total number of people (including non-employees) who attend in order to arrive at the cost per head.

EIM21690 - Particular benefits: annual parties and other social functions

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
    Make sure you take your partner to double the threshold to £300.
    I had a discussion with my accountant last year who wouldn't accept this principle. Of course it's my decision, but are we sure?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
    He would actually do this!
    Martin, you sound as if you feel cheapened and used.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    LOL well I guess that covers the wildest idea then...

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Right, you're no longer my +1.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    It's a secret.
    Not any more....

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1464394

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Care to tell us? Should we open a new thread for the wildest idea?
    It's a secret.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Excellent, I know what this years Christmas Party allowance will now be splurged on!
    Care to tell us? Should we open a new thread for the wildest idea?

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
    The Xmas party is like an 'anything goes' rule - just don't exceed the thresholds discussed in this thread, and the entire amount remains tax deductible for the company with no P11D costs on the employees.
    Excellent, I know what this years Christmas Party allowance will now be splurged on!

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    I didn't know corporate hospitality was an allowable expense, christmas party, or otherwise.
    The Xmas party is like an 'anything goes' rule - just don't exceed the thresholds discussed in this thread, and the entire amount remains tax deductible for the company with no P11D costs on the employees.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    2 seats in the corporates for one of the christmas fixtures usually does for me.
    I didn't know corporate hospitality was an allowable expense, christmas party, or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Maybe you should. It has to be company expenditure, not expenses.
    If you can get the supplier to accept that it's a business transaction and invoice YourCo then the payment card shouldn't technically matter as its then just treated as the employee paying something on the company's behalf and you can be reimbursed without any tax/NI/P11d implications but...

...yes, try and keep company expenditure on company cards wherever possible. It's just good common sense.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    2 seats in the corporates for one of the christmas fixtures usually does for me.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Maybe you should. It has to be company expenditure, not expenses.
    Ah, good point. Already paid the hotel on my card.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X