• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Newbie - Becoming a contractor midway through a tax year."

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Possible fly in the ointment regarding payment of zero salary is nmw. It is unlikely to be relevant if you are a director unless you have a service contract.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by danny13 View Post
    You're right Wanderer, I received an ex-gratia payment which is tax free up to £30k, I excluded this from my consideration.
    OK, you're on it then.

It seems that generally (from my forum research) people claim a salary of within their personal allowance and then rather than pay any low rate income tax at 20% extract the rest via dividends?
    Yes, take a salary of £7696 or £641.33 per month and the rest as dividends up to the higher rate limit. Watch out for the goofy way that dividends are calculated too, a dividend of (say) £10,000 paid to you actually counts as £11,111 of income against your allowance. If you are married and your spouse doesn't work then you can potentially pay salary and dividends to them too.

Lots of people try to avoid becoming a higher rate tax payer because it will leave you with an additional tax bill when you do your self assessment and then the year after you may need to make a "payment on account" based on the predicted tax due.

You can then extract the retained cash from the company in a lean year or as a capital distribution a few years down the line if it goes really well and you decide to shut the company.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• danny13
    replied
    You're right Wanderer, I received an ex-gratia payment which is tax free up to £30k, I excluded this from my consideration. The rest of my package, prorated holiday, 3 months paid notice, benefits etc will all be subject to tax. Basically my P45 states how much I earnt and how much tax I paid, this was just below the upper tax threshold.

It seems that generally (from my forum research) people claim a salary of within their personal allowance and then rather than pay any low rate income tax at 20% extract the rest via dividends? But you are right I need to talk it all through with my accountant.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    I'm about to land my first contract following taking a redundancy as a permie back in June. As a permie with my pay off I earnt just short of the higher tax bracket.
    Don't be so sure of that. I think there are some odd rules around redundancy payments being tax free up to a certain level so you may still have some lower rate tax allowance that you should use up this year.

You are on the right track but don't go making assumptions, get yourself engaged with an accountant and ask them to review your P60 and the amount of the payoff and advise you how to proceed based on a detailed review of your actual circumstances.

Accountants do cost money but you are going to need one for the end of the year anyway. And remember that if you fail to use up your full tax allowance this year (or make some other noobie mistake) then that's going to cost you extra tax in the long run.....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Some great advice, and plenty to think about, but I think malvolio is right.....I better not get carried away just yet although I guess I had totally overlooked what my long term exit strategy might be.

I'll wait until I get some money coming in and have gasped the basics as they are certainly complex enough!

Thanks again forumites
    Well... see what your accountant says.

Leave a comment:

• danny13
    replied
    Some great advice, and plenty to think about, but I think malvolio is right.....I better not get carried away just yet although I guess I had totally overlooked what my long term exit strategy might be.

I'll wait until I get some money coming in and have gasped the basics as they are certainly complex enough!

Thanks again forumites

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Thanks Guys and Girls, and northernladuk.

Reassuring to know, I wondered whether it would be considered tax avoidance or whether there was a minimum salary that must be paid to keep HMRC happy.

Thanks Clare regarding the advise to keep profit within the company and then liquidate, I'd not considered this. Does this offer tax advantages over drawing dividends, so in theory you can withdraw the profit by liquidating every 5 years or something? (Will search the forums now...)
    As NLUK says you have to be careful about pheonixing, so it's not a regular business plan method.

If you stick to dividends up to higher rates through the year then there will be no personal tax to pay (you'll still have CT of course, but you can reduce that via expenses and pensions).

When you liquidate you'll get the benefit of Entrepreneur's Relief and your annual CGT exemption, taking the tax rate below 10%. A higher rate dividend would have been 25%, with additional rate dividends being even higher.

Of course you could avoid personal tax entirely by leaving the company open and paying dividends up to the higher rate limit for years afterwards, but that only works if you have no other income and time on your hands (for example if you retire).

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    He's got your number, love!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Reassuring to know, I wondered whether it would be considered tax avoidance or whether there was a minimum salary that must be paid to keep HMRC happy.

Thanks Clare regarding the advise to keep profit within the company and then liquidate, I'd not considered this. Does this offer tax advantages over drawing dividends, so in theory you can withdraw the profit by liquidating every 5 years or something? (Will search the forums now...)
    Before you get carried away worrying about long term tax optimisation, stick with learning the job and making sure you understand it properly. A good start is getting your head around how best to pay yourself and how the tax system works. You have no idea how much you don't know.

Leave the clever stuff alone for a year or two until you know what you're doing and what the risks are.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

For information on liquidation look for 'closing limited company' and MVL. These will have the details of how it works

BUT also search for phoenixing. Closing your company to re-open it to make use of tax breaks and no other business reason is something to be avoided.

Leave a comment:

• danny13
    replied
    advice

Leave a comment:

• danny13
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Your fine to not take a salary or dividends if you want to, providing you're outside of IR35.

From April onward your most tax efficient option will then depend on your required income, your long term plans and your other income (rental, interest, foreign etc). Your accountant should be able to talk you through the options and advise on what's best for you in your personal circumstances.

Generally, assuming outside IR35 with no other income, the most tax efficient option is to split shares with your non-working spouse, take dividends up to the higher rate limit, and then leave the rest within the company with a view to eventual liquidation. Make the most of allowances along the way in terms of childcare and pensions too.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You must have done a crap search then lol. This is discussed fairly regularly.

Try using the google search method and play with keywords. Google search method is here...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

Try something like 'perm to contract tax'

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Ok, my first post, and I've tried to search first!

So my question is .....

I'm about to land my first contract following taking a redundancy as a permie back in June. As a permie with my pay off I earnt just short of the higher tax bracket. I've set up a Ltd company for my contract but was wondering whether it is possible to pay myself zero salary from the company until April next year as obviously I will be taxed at the higher rate. I have seen the recommendations to typically pay min wage up to the tax treshold throughout the year, but no advice on paying zero or maybe an arbitary £1/month.

I will be running it past my accountant once they have been allocated but thought to seek wisdom from the forum first.
    It's impossible to say what the most tax efficient way is of paying yourself without knowing exactly what you've been paid year to date. With that in mind you'll have to go with what your accountant advises you as it's not just a case of potential savings through PAYE but what dividend payments will do to your tax position come self assessment time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X