• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Need contract revue"

Collapse

• autodial
    replied
    Originally Posted by XLMonkey
    Bauer and Cottrell get regular recommendations around here, so suggest you try them.

I always use Sarah Bauer at B&C.Call her and ask her advise.

Leave a comment:

• Millwall
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Lawspeed is good - if you pass, you can get insurance ...

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Tom: We might be laughing, .... Having the balls to post 2 days after "i'm a newbie" is impressive.
    Really? Or do you mean he types using his balls?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by StoneLaughter
    1. now THAT was unexpected. Thanks.

2. Do you mean your tax return? Or is there a tax form to fill in for each contract you take on? On your tax return do you get the opportunity to comment on every contract you've worked on that year? (I've never been sent one so I'm not sure what's on it).

Thanks
    1. We don't just take the piss.
    2. I can't remember on which form. I know it's out there.

Leave a comment:

• lawspeed
    replied
    Tax Form - P35 Employer's Annual Return

You can see a copy here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ebu/p35-2006.pdf

See Question 6, Part 3 - there is a tickbox for "Do the rules relating to services provided through an intermediary (sometimes known as IR35) apply to any work carried out by any worker listed on this return?"

So it is a global question for the whole year to ascertain whether IR35 applies to any of the work.

Leave a comment:

• StoneLaughter
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    1. Tom: We might be laughing, but I for one am impressed.

2. ...on your tax form you are required to tell the IR if you may be inside IR35. Not telling them can get you into all sorts of lumber.
    1. now THAT was unexpected. Thanks.

2. Do you mean your tax return? Or is there a tax form to fill in for each contract you take on? On your tax return do you get the opportunity to comment on every contract you've worked on that year? (I've never been sent one so I'm not sure what's on it).

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I would be inclined to agree with Malvolio there.

We can be a bit harsh, paint a black picture and present pit falls to you.
    That does mean that you are for warned and less liekly to fall into the traps.

You would be realy pissed off if we told you it was all wine and roses and you dont need to worry when the IR come a knocking!

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Spelling police...

<cough>ADVICE</cough>

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Ah but, the other thing to remember is that if you do go contract, you're on your own and you make your own decisions. You're getting advise from three places: professional advisers and informed publications like the PCG website, sales advise from purveyors of various managed services and apparently cynical advise from people who have been doing it for many years and have the scars.

The first group can be trusted, the second can't, the third can.

Snag is the third group are also likely to come over a bit harder than they really are becuase they want you to think carefully about what you are doing and to highlight the myriad places you can fall over and get hurt. I'll freely admit I'm a bit harsh, but that's just me - then again, you will get a lot worse treatment out there in the real world, so you may as well practice here where it doesn't really matter that much.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Tom: We might be laughing, but I for one am impressed. You have read and understood which is good (it is what we told you to do when taking the piss in your first post). Having the balls to post 2 days after "i'm a newbie" is impressive.

In some ways you are correct in that the IR may take a different view, but and its a big BUT (not that kind Xog), on your tax form you are required to tell the IR if you may be inside IR35. Not telling them can get you into all sorts of lumber.
    Just thinking you are outside, particularly if you can not eloquently argue the point, is not good enough.
    If you have had a positive review (outside IR35) from a recognised professional then you can honestly claim to be outside.

A number of the reviewers offer insurance packages against a negative IR review too. I understand the PCG package is good. I think the package from Shout99 also offers to cover penalties.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Tom, the information/advise/opinions you get from a free to use forum is worth exactly what you paid for it.

For every post on here someone has a conflicting opinion especially around brolly Vs Ltd, Opting in/out of agency regs etc

You seem to be keen to do your own reseach which can only be a good thing but ultimately you may have to pay for proffesional advise i.e. IR35 contract reviews, Tax advise from an accountant.

Stick with it and keep reading the threads - Just get used to filtering the BS.

Leave a comment:

• StoneLaughter
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Thank you, I've got coffee all over the keyboard now... Two days ago you knew nothing, now you're an expert.

Apologies I didn't mean to come across that way; I've simply been reading an awful lot the last few days and this was the impression I got from what I've read. I understand what you're saying about the reviews, and you do make a lot of sense. Maybe the impression I was given from the 30 or 40 sites I've taken information from, was more down to the general cynicism I've found in Contractors than down to an accurate reflection of the facts?

I'm trying here guys I really am; I don't WANT to have scorn poured on me simply because I don't know as much as someone who's been doing it 40 years, because it's REASONABLE to expect someone new to the game to know very little. I'm trying to find out as much as I can, but the reading is constantly coloured by information posted by seemingly bitter, cynical tossers who can find nothing better to do than to paint as black a picture for me as possible. It makes me wonder, if that's what contracting does to you, whether I want to go there - or is that the idea? To put me off from going contracting as I might one day be competing for a contract with you?

Leave a comment:

• Millwall
    replied
    Originally posted by XLMonkey
    Bauer and Cottrell get regular recommendations around here, so suggest you try them.

However....your situation sounds very like the one that the IR35 legislation was originally drafted to catch -- i.e. where a full time employee leaves employment on a Friday and starts work as a "contractor", doing essentially the same work, on a Monday. Just having an IR35 friendly contract doesn't mean that you are safe. You need to bear in mind that the IR35 assessment is based on actual working conditions, rather than what is written in your contract.
    Actually the new contract position is very different. I will be working for the software vendor at multiple locations and institutions.

Leave a comment:

• lawspeed
    replied
    Survive35 Tax-Safe Insurance

A review in itself will provide the reviewer's opinion, usually with detailed notes of where problems lie in the contract terms and also with regard to your on-the-ground working practices. You can go a step further if you want absolute peace of mind by taking out some form of tax-loss cover if the review results in a successful outcome. For example we have arrangements with insurers Abbey Tax Protection (who also provide the professional fees insurance offered to PCG members):

http://www.lawspeed.com/providers/pr...insurance.aspx

This underwrites the actual additional IR35 tax, NIC's, interest and penalties on engagements that we have reviewed and approved as outside IR35. We usually turn around reviews within 2-3 working days, or earlier if our workload permits.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X