• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Worth registering my new Ltd Co for PAYE?"

Collapse

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Not a contradiction - the helpline would have been agreeing that the co. did not need to register for PAYE and that page is on how to operate PAYE, so it doesn't apply.

Basically what GazCol and UKCA said (except the piece about paying family members to clean your office ).
    I'd just like to distance myself from the family members comment... Haha. Although I think what UKCA meant was if you have employees that are paid above the LEL threshold in another job and are employed by you, you have to also run a PAYE scheme, even if all employees are paid below the LEL threshold. At least that's what I hope he meant...

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Wow, so you had an argument with the person on the Employer Helpline and got them to contradict what HMRC's written guidance says.

Good luck with that one but I can't help but think that it will come back and bite you.
    Not a contradiction - the helpline would have been agreeing that the co. did not need to register for PAYE and that page is on how to operate PAYE, so it doesn't apply.

Basically what GazCol and UKCA said (except the piece about paying family members to clean your office ).

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Wow, so you had an argument with the person on the Employer Helpline and got them to contradict what HMRC's written guidance says.

Good luck with that one but I can't help but think that it will come back and bite you.
    To be fair, the written guidance Craig quoted is only true if a PAYE scheme is already in place.

If you're a new company and you have no employees earning above the LEL threshold, you do not have to be PAYE registered and as a result, do not have to do RTI submissions.

If you're an existing company, currently have no employees earning above the LEL threshold, but have previously, you need to deregister from PAYE otherwise you have to do RTI submissions.

The HMRC guidance quoted is in respect to companies that have employees paid above the LEL threshold and employees paid under the threshold. As these companies have to be PAYE registered submissions have to be done for all employees.

Further information here.

That's the biggest problem with HMRC's web
    page. The guidance doesn't make sense if you look at one page in isolation. You would think, from Craig's link that it was black and white. However that is only advice for current PAYE scheme operators.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    Extract from here: HM Revenue & Customs: What to report

"You need to report the payment details of all employees you pay, no matter how much you pay them - even those earning below the Lower Earnings Limit (LEL), or those paid just once a year."
    Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
    I have had this argument out with the Employer Helpline which confirmed that if all you employees are earning less than the LEL limit you do not need a PAYE scheme in place or report under RTI (assuming you hold signed P46's for all staff!).

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    I see your point now.

One benefit of having a PAYE scheme allows you to sort out your tax during the tax year rather than waiting until the self-assessment is submitted. He will have paid tax on his prior earnings and will get a refund of this if staying below the personal allowance – this will come quicker if he uses a PAYE scheme.

If he is going to claim for certain expenses then these will need to be reported on a P11d and a PAYE scheme will need to be opened in order to complete this.

Craig
    He can claim the tax rebate now Craig. I hope you don't run payroll for your practice!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
    I have had this argument out with the Employer Helpline which confirmed that if all you employees are earning less than the LEL limit you do not need a PAYE scheme in place or report under RTI (assuming you hold signed P46's for all staff!).

It takes just 1 employee earning above the LEL to bring all the other employees under RTI including the £5 a week you pay to your son/daughter for cleaning your office (that's if you employ family members in your ltd co).
    I am so glad you are not my accountant... if you are one at all.

Leave a comment:

• john@UKCA
    replied

"You need to report the payment details of all employees you pay, no matter how much you pay them - even those earning below the Lower Earnings Limit (LEL), or those paid just once a year."

It takes just 1 employee earning above the LEL to bring all the other employees under RTI including the £5 a week you pay to your son/daughter for cleaning your office (that's if you employ family members in your ltd co).

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    I see your point now.

One benefit of having a PAYE scheme allows you to sort out your tax during the tax year rather than waiting until the self-assessment is submitted. He will have paid tax on his prior earnings and will get a refund of this if staying below the personal allowance – this will come quicker if he uses a PAYE scheme.

If he is going to claim for certain expenses then these will need to be reported on a P11d and a PAYE scheme will need to be opened in order to complete this.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied

That's only if a PAYE scheme is in place. I.e. if one employee is above LEL you must report on all employees.

I'm posting from my phone at the moment but I will link to HMRC when on an easier device to post from.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied

It does say that, but surely that only applies if you're registered for PAYE in the first place?

I think GazCol's point was that in some situations you don't need to register for PAYE, in which case would the above even apply? HMRC's guidance is - as ever - as clear as mud on this.

Over here, it says this:

Before you pay your first employee for the first time, you must check whether you need to operate PAYE. The guide 'How to register as an employer' tells you when you need to register and how to register.
    HM Revenue & Customs: How to register as an employer

As soon as you first employ someone, you will need to register as an employer with HMRC if any of the following is true:
    you're paying them at or above the PAYE threshold
    you're paying them at or above the National Insurance Lower Earnings Limit
    the employee already has another job
    they are receiving a state, company or occupational pension
    you're providing them with employee benefits
    My interpretation is: if you need to register for PAYE due to any of the above reasons, then you need to report all earnings, including those under the LEL (like you said). However if none of the above apply, you don't even have to register for PAYE in the first place, in which case there is nothing to report.

Leave a comment:

• rm55
    replied
    Thanks all, I'm trying to get as much info as I can being new to all this.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are going to get an accountant aren't you?
    Yes.... but; the contract I'm starting is only for 3 months and will bring in just over £9000 in that time. So I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. My "plan" such as it is, over those 3 months is to obviously record money received, and any business expenses so I can pass this to an accountant to do the year end stuff when required (I've downloaded the spreadsheet from SJD Accountings website).

But other than doing a flat rate VAT return online (I think I can handle this myself), I don't know if I'll need an accountant at least until next year when I find out if my contract will be extended or if I start a new role. This was why I asked about PAYE as for that I think I'd need to get an accountant in from the start and with the money I'll be earning to begin with I'd prefer to avoid this if possible (no offence to any accountants reading this!)
    Last edited by rm55; 12 September 2013, 15:25.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    It wouldn't cost him anything in NI - the NI threshold per employment not overall.

Craig
    Then I apologise. You learn something new every day. I was stupid to think HMRC would keep things simple.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    That's not right, an RTI submission only needs to be done if you're PAYE registered and you do not have to be PAYE registered if all employees earn below the LEL threshold.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Yes, under the RTI rules each time an employee is paid a submission needs to me made to HMRC.

If he is doing it himself then he could wait until March and pay it all in one go so that the number of submissions is kept to a minimum. I presume that he would be registering next year anyway!

Craig
    That's not right, an RTI submission only needs to be done if you're PAYE registered and you do not have to be PAYE registered if all employees earn below the LEL threshold.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    You said he could pay himself another £2276 without incurring any tax. Thats not true - it would cost him nearly £450 in NI contributions (employee and employer). Even though there is CT relief on employer contributions, it would still be costing him more money.
    It wouldn't cost him anything in NI - the NI threshold per employment not overall.

Craig

Leave a comment:

Working...
X