• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company car tax for a permy question"

Collapse

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    The only time mileage should be on a P11D is if it's paid in excess of the HMRC rates, so above 45p and 25p.
    Thanks, I went through all the paperwork at weekend, her employer had messed up and put the mileage allowance as a BIK plus other things that shouldnt be there, they made the same mistake for last 4 years and she had paid tax on the incorrect BIK so a nice tax refund is due to her .

Managed to figure out to what was happening with the car to, was a mess though.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    Yes its mileage sorry not petrol, will look at the P11D this evening to see what it says.

Thanks
    The only time mileage should be on a P11D is if it's paid in excess of the HMRC rates, so above 45p and 25p.

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Is it in section N? If so it's not actually taxable, it just needs to be claimed as an employment expense. That's usually done on a tax return, but you can make a claim if you don't file a return via a separate form: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p87.pdf

The company should be paying mileage not petrol, then it wouldn't even touch the P11D.
    Yes its mileage sorry not petrol, will look at the P11D this evening to see what it says.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    Company cars are brilliant for a permie... Employer pays for the car/lease, tax, insurance, servicing etc. The employee pays a bit of tax on the BIK, the cost of which will be far less than the above.

Craig
    Craig. Not every company offers a full fat deal. Some just supply the car leaving the rest to the employee to pay. This can be very expensive when the benefit in kind is taken into account. In some cases it is better to (if the employee can) take additional money as salary rather than have a company car. It is a long time since I saw an accountant regard his firm's car scheme as perk unless he was working for a car manufacturer/distributer with an HMRC exempt scheme.

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    Thanks for all the info, the company she works for is a very small firm and the accountant who does the payroll and works for them must be nearing late 80 years old now lol

So reading through the thread am I correct in saying,

1. Its now her responsibility to tell HMRC about the car and that the P46 form is no longer used by her employer unless she has a change of car ?

And final question,

2. The bit about HMRC finding out when they get the P11D, and then making her pay the following tax year, is the way she is supposed to do it, or should she be telling HMRC up front ? They know she had a car as they sent an under payment letter for 11-12 as well earlier in the year around Jan time, do you need to tell them every year ?

cheers peeps and hope everyone has a good weekend

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    Unfortunately not, HMRC see it largely as the employees responsibility (IOW go and read our website), save the ability to recover tax from the employer if there are failures to operate PAYE procedures correctly.

AFAIR (but I haven't checked) the old P46car which the employer had to complete is now abolished, so its up to the employee to tell HMRC they have a car, PMI, whatever, in year so code can be adjusted. Otherwise its picked up via P11D at end of year, with attendant underpayment.
    I actually appreciate and understand all that, but under the employer's duty of care they should either do the paperwork or at least tell their employees what needs to happen to keep their tax position straight if they haven't done it themselves. It's pretty clear they employer has done nothing other than hand over the keys.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oh! I remember many moons ago being told they were not the perk they used to be. My apologies.
    Depends on a number of factors. But I take Cash of about 6k less 20% having engineered myself out of 40% tax by lots of pension through salary sacrifice. Gives me 400 a month to run a vehicle on. Since I run a crappy pug these days it's damn cheap.

I could take a half way decent car; the benefit tax on the sort of car I could take would be 1,110.

So I'd get a shinier car that I don't want at greater expense.

For me the choice is:-

25k car I don't own and never will.

Or £500 a month to run any old pile of junk I fancy.

The latter works for me.

Like doing a company yourself through YourCo whether it is worthwhile or not is dependant upon the individuals view etc.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Just checked and the P46(car) is still on HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46car.pdf - it says to use if from 6th April 2013 onwards...surely this should still be completed!

Craig
    Page 46 at the bottom here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...rim_report.pdf

The form OTS want reintroduced is when you change a car rather than provide a new one. I'm sure I read something else, but can't find it for the life of me.....!

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    AFAIR (but I haven't checked) the old P46car which the employer had to complete is now abolished, so its up to the employee to tell HMRC they have a car, PMI, whatever, in year so code can be adjusted. Otherwise its picked up via P11D at end of year, with attendant underpayment.
    Just checked and the P46(car) is still on HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46car.pdf - it says to use if from 6th April 2013 onwards...surely this should still be completed!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I thought so too, but couldn't find verification. Pretty sure I read in the Office of Tax Simplification's last report that one of their 42 "easy wins" was to bring it back.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    She's an employee, surely her tax affairs are down to her employer?
    Unfortunately not, HMRC see it largely as the employees responsibility (IOW go and read our website), save the ability to recover tax from the employer if there are failures to operate PAYE procedures correctly.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Company cars are brilliant for a permie... Employer pays for the car/lease, tax, insurance, servicing etc. The employee pays a bit of tax on the BIK, the cost of which will be far less than the above.

Craig
    Until the employee gets made redundant and finds that they now have to take on the lease themselves.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Craig
    Oh! I remember many moons ago being told they were not the perk they used to be. My apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Any chance of her getting cash rather than a car if it is a small company? I believe the days that company cars were good perks were long gone and don't suit everyone anymore? Get the cash and buy your own if you are not bothered about a new one? Makes it easier for the company to manage as well?

Craig

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Any chance of her getting cash rather than a car if it is a small company? I believe the days that company cars were good perks were long gone and don't suit everyone anymore? Get the cash and buy your own if you are not bothered about a new one? Makes it easier for the company to manage as well?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X