• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Given notice while on holidays"

Collapse

• Mephisto
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    A friend of mine did three years on one project, planned to take a big break, and then another role looked for him and he started straight away. That was 2 1/2 years ago. So, assuming you only take breaks between contracts, that would be at least six years between having a holiday. If that's what you want to do, then great, but it's not for me.
    That's bonkers - must be addicted to invoicing?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I am assuming everyone having these ideas of no hols for two years, taking it only on the bench etc are unmarried and have no kids?
    Married? Kids? Holidays? Are you cut out to contract...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I am assuming everyone having these ideas of no hols for two years, taking it only on the bench etc are unmarried and have no kids?
    Someone I worked with on one gig never took a holiday. Worked every weekend he could, and only ever took a break as TOIL rather than having a holiday.

He was an arse though, so I can understand that his wife and kids never wanted him at home.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
    For this I'm thinking that in utopiaville one might take on a piece of work for up to 2 years and then take a huge and well deserved break with the accrued wealth. Then (again in utopiaville) because one is so epic at what one does it should be so easy to find another gig when the warchest drops back into 6 figures. In fact you were likely fighting them off and had to switch your phone to silent during your respite period anyway
    A friend of mine did three years on one project, planned to take a big break, and then another role looked for him and he started straight away. That was 2 1/2 years ago. So, assuming you only take breaks between contracts, that would be at least six years between having a holiday. If that's what you want to do, then great, but it's not for me.

Leave a comment:

• Mephisto
    replied
    But then we get in to discussion about why contract. Many will say for the flexibility and being in control of our time. How can that be if you are now further constrained than you were as a permie? I contract so I can take a holiday when I can. Generally I will try fit it in to a bench period but I am certainly not going to miss a family holiday just because of work. That is totally the opposite of why I contract.

There is some common sense to be applied however, but a 3 week holiday is not applying it. OP gave the client the option on a plate.
    You make a valid point about contacting and control which I agree with.. The emboldened text highlights where I was coming from though as I have only ever been part of projects with little free time to even deliver never mind take breaks. Again it's IME and not every experience is the same.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That works if you do short-term contracts. If you don't, then you don't take any breaks for years, which isn't healthy.
    For this I'm thinking that in utopiaville one might take on a piece of work for up to 2 years and then take a huge and well deserved break with the accrued wealth. Then (again in utopiaville) because one is so epic at what one does it should be so easy to find another gig when the warchest drops back into 6 figures. In fact you were likely fighting them off and had to switch your phone to silent during your respite period anyway
    Last edited by Mephisto; 28 August 2013, 09:34. Reason: Can't spell

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Can't fathom taking holidays mid-contract though I appreciate not every situation is the same.

I know times are different and difficult but working a contract then disappearing on your jollys after you've delivered surely makes more sense, especially if the warchest is brimming? I'm yet to reach such dizzying heights myself of course...
    That works if you do short-term contracts. If you don't, then you don't take any breaks for years, which isn't healthy.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Can't fathom taking holidays mid-contract though I appreciate not every situation is the same.

I know times are different and difficult but working a contract then disappearing on your jollys after you've delivered surely makes more sense, especially if the warchest is brimming? I'm yet to reach such dizzying heights myself of course...
    But then we get in to discussion about why contract. Many will say for the flexibility and being in control of our time. How can that be if you are now further constrained than you were as a permie? I contract so I can take a holiday when I can. Generally I will try fit it in to a bench period but I am certainly not going to miss a family holiday just because of work. That is totally the opposite of why I contract.

There is some common sense to be applied however, but a 3 week holiday is not applying it. OP gave the client the option on a plate.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Wow that's pretty brutal, wonder how the client would feel if contractors left every time they got a better rate.
    As we see on here they do. NWP2C left his first 3 gigs for a better one so it can be argued we are our own worst enemy. Saying that even if we didn't leave they would still bin us. It isn't brutal at all, it is the nature of the job. We are a temporary resource to fill a hole. If the client plugs it we move on.

In this particular case foregone conclusion is a better word that brutal. He was away long enough to find that his replaced could do it better so why pay more to a contractor when he comes back. Seems to be a no brainer and self inflicted in this case.

Leave a comment:

• Mephisto
    replied

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by driver4567 View Post
    Yes, I gave plenty of notice. They got some one in to back fill while I was away, and then with him being cheaper it was a business decision to cut costs... At a cost of slowing down the project though
    Wow that's pretty brutal, wonder how the client would feel if contractors left every time they got a better rate.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by driver4567 View Post
    Yes, I gave plenty of notice. They got some one in to back fill while I was away, and then with him being cheaper it was a business decision to cut costs... At a cost of slowing down the project though
    There's your mistake - you should have got that person in under your RoS clause, and made some money on it.

Leave a comment:

• driver4567
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    The client is useless if they gave you notice for taking a 3 week holiday AFTER you went on holiday. If that was the real reason couldn't they have said before, when you informed them, (you did inform them didn't you?) "look old chap we think 3 weeks is a bit too much and we need you here can you reduce it to a week please?" Rather than the cowardly middle-manageresque style they executed here.
    This really depends on the circumstances which we don't know. It could be the work dried up or project got canned. Him being away could be totally irrelevant and just unfortunate timing.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    The client is useless if they gave you notice for taking a 3 week holiday AFTER you went on holiday. If that was the real reason couldn't they have said before, when you informed them, (you did inform them didn't you?) "look old chap we think 3 weeks is a bit too much and we need you here can you reduce it to a week please?" Rather than the cowardly middle-manageresque style they executed here.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Can't for the life of me see why. How many permies can have 3-week holidays?
    I was going to say that... Contractors having 3 week holidays is a bit daft but can't see the IR35 link.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X