• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I always knew we were right...."

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Minor point, but there's a difference between legal jurisdiction (where a case would be heard) and governing law (which legal system applies). It's routine to have both specified in the contract when dealing with international clients.

Leave a comment:

• borderreiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    That was the impression I got though they may have been happy enough with any company in the UK. I know some people who live in Scotland who have companies registered in England to avoid incorporating a company under Scots law. Does anyone here have a UK company which is registered somewhere which NOT England and Wales?

Personally, I'd be cautious because of the potential difficulty of dealing with companies which operate under different legal systems.
    I understand what you mean, but that's just crazy TBH. I assume none of the (English) agents you mention would ever consider doing business with RBS, then?

As someone else just said, the contract just needs to state whose legal jurisdiction applies. Simple ;-)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    That was the impression I got though they may have been happy enough with any company in the UK. I know some people who live in Scotland who have companies registered in England to avoid incorporating a company under Scots law. Does anyone here have a UK company which is registered somewhere which NOT England and Wales?

Personally, I'd be cautious because of the potential difficulty of dealing with companies which operate under different legal systems.
    There is absolutely no difficulty as you simply state in the contract what legal system the contract falls under.

My contracts all state that the laws of England apply. This gets around any laws that the Welsh Assembly Government could put in which would effect the contract.

How do you think organisations do cross border trade?

I would guess that it depends on if he is in the UK for long enough to become resident here for tax purposes. If he is and a client/agency is paying an IOM company there is the risk that at some time in the future HMRC could come after the client/agency for PAYE/NI from the contractor's earnings and they won't want to carry that risk.
    If he works in mainland UK for most of the year for many years then he cannot get out of pretending he is not tax resident regardless of whether he spends the weekend in a different tax jurisdiction.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
    What, would they not do business with Scottish or NI ones?

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    This feller lived in Douglas and commuted mon-Fri, so I have to assume that his ltd co (or whatever the equivalent is) was set up there.
    I would guess that it depends on if he is in the UK for long enough to become resident here for tax purposes. If he is and a client/agency is paying an IOM company there is the risk that at some time in the future HMRC could come after the client/agency for PAYE/NI from the contractor's earnings and they won't want to carry that risk.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Lots of people in the UK were born in other countries. It doesn't matter where they are "from", what matters is where they are currently resident for tax purposes....

For many years, agencies have been telling me that they will only do business with a company which is registered in England and Wales and they won't deal with off-shore ones. Of course there is nothing to stop a non tax resident contractor setting up a company in England which pays all the money to one in the IOM, so long as the correct amount of tax is paid in the UK.
    This feller lived in Douglas and commuted mon-Fri, so I have to assume that his ltd co (or whatever the equivalent is) was set up there.

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Good point. In fact MOntpelier setup their own mortgage broker to get round this. They got me a mortgage.
    Those were different times BrilloPad, it's all changed now. I don't think they have a mortgage broker anymore.

There is no way to get round this today, unless a broker disguises the trading structure as working through PAYE Umbrella. This is fraud.

Leave a comment:

• borderreiver
    replied
    For many years, agencies have been telling me that they will only do business with a company which is registered in England and Wales
    What, would they not do business with Scottish or NI ones?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Freelancer Financials View Post
    Just simply tell them that they will struggle to get a mortgage on these schemes.

Virtually all the high street lenders have made it clear that they do not want applications from buyers who operate under these Offshore Umbrella/Loan Trust schemes.

The only reason some get a mortgage is because dodgy mortgage brokers disguise them as working through PAYE brollies.
    Good point. In fact MOntpelier setup their own mortgage broker to get round this. They got me a mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Appropos of nothing, I work with a contractor from the Isle of Man. No, really. And his contracts are becoming fewer an farther between as more and more agencies see the address and won't touch him with a barge pole.
    Lots of people in the UK were born in other countries. It doesn't matter where they are "from", what matters is where they are currently resident for tax purposes....

For many years, agencies have been telling me that they will only do business with a company which is registered in England and Wales and they won't deal with off-shore ones. Of course there is nothing to stop a non tax resident contractor setting up a company in England which pays all the money to one in the IOM, so long as the correct amount of tax is paid in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Appropos of nothing, I work with a contractor from the Isle of Man. No, really. And his contracts are becoming fewer an farther between as more and more agencies see the address and won't touch him with a barge pole.
    Well even if he is from the Isle of Man he should be taxing himself in the UK even for a short term project, so he should be using a UK Ltd, which should have an address.

Non-residents are still liable for tax on the work they do in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Some of the bigger recruiters already have a policy of not dealing with anything dodgy. Contractors either have to operate through their own company or be on PAYE.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Freelancer Financials View Post
    Just simply tell them that they will struggle to get a mortgage on these schemes.

Virtually all the high street lenders have made it clear that they do not want applications from buyers who operate under these Offshore Umbrella/Loan Trust schemes.

The only reason some get a mortgage is because dodgy mortgage brokers disguise them as working through PAYE brollies.
    A useful point to know.

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by Ondine View Post
    Don't UK lenders only look at UK taxable earnings?
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    No.

HTH
    If they're UK residents, they will only use UK TAXABLE EARNINGS.

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by Ondine View Post
    How on earth do people operating through an Offshore Umbrellas prove their earnings for affordability when they're applying for a mortgage or finance?

They're P60 and tax returns only show a small minimum wage salary, so how do they do it. Self cert Mortgages were banned a few years back?

I suppose they can't get a loan unless they're buying a shed.
    That's correct. Unless they are a cash buyer!

Leave a comment:

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    So how do you think we can get the message across to newbies? Do you reckon it would make a difference if recruiters were better educated about the difference between umbrella companies and dodgy schemes claiming to be brollies?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X