• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Claiming contributions based JSA"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    little
    As
    you
    read

Apply to sentence above
    That's the problem with the modern world. Simply no room for creativity...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Don't see why not. The rules haven't changed, only the rates. You're asking about how to get it, not how much it's worth.

Anyway, JSA is not means tested, it's a flat rate allowance. As soon as you want help paying for mortgage interest and the like it gets a litle harder. AS yuo would know if you rad the book...
    little
    As
    you
    read

Apply to sentence above

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Have done but it refers to tax year 2009 which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence as to its relevance.
    Don't see why not. The rules haven't changed, only the rates. You're asking about how to get it, not how much it's worth.

Anyway, JSA is not means tested, it's a flat rate allowance. As soon as you want help paying for mortgage interest and the like it gets a litle harder. AS yuo would know if you rad the book...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Silly thought but why not read the PCG's guide to JSA and get the definitive answers?
    Have done but it refers to tax year 2009 which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence as to its relevance.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Dont think that works. Surely they look at family income/savings?
    Silly thought but why not read the PCG's guide to JSA and get the definitive answers?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
    Put it in partner/spouse account?

EDIT: That's a question not a recommendation
    Dont think that works. Surely they look at family income/savings?

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    On a similar note, I see the savings limit for any sort of other benefit is £16K. Not a huge amount.

Seems a bit unfair that the system caters for those who piss it all up against the wall and not for those who make a bit of effort saving.

Just wondering if there's any way around this? Stick savings offshore/ cash it all out? Buy gold? Wonga loan?
    Put it in partner/spouse account?

EDIT: That's a question not a recommendation

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    On a similar note, I see the savings limit for any sort of other benefit is £16K. Not a huge amount.

Seems a bit unfair that the system caters for those who piss it all up against the wall and not for those who make a bit of effort saving.

Just wondering if there's any way around this? Stick savings offshore/ cash it all out? Buy gold? Wonga loan?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You could of course go back to the thread you started Jan 2012 year on exactly the same topic??

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...jsa-bench.html

Or back to the thread you started in Oct 2012 on exactly the same topic??

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...alary-etc.html

or just general searches of other threads.....

http://claiming JSA site:forums.cont...counting-legal
    New tax year NLUK. Things change - hence why I asked if anyone had claimed recently....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You could of course go back to the thread you started Jan 2012 year on exactly the same topic??

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...jsa-bench.html

Or back to the thread you started in Oct 2012 on exactly the same topic??

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...alary-etc.html

or just general searches of other threads.....

http://claiming JSA site:forums.cont...counting-legal
    Last edited by northernladuk; 24 June 2013, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Its been a few years and I remember it being somewhat problematic but has anyone done recently when on the bench?

Personally, I think you can claim as you're not working and available for work. Probably can't continue to pay yourself salary from limited company and not sure about dividends (but then again if I got dividends from barclays shares it hardly effects my employment status).

But, I take pretty much all the money out as dividends and stick in personal savings anyway. Pretty sure contribution-based JSA doesnt take account of savings either.

Yes, its complicated and the job centre is not a cool place. OK, there are those who won't bother but the way I look at it is its £71.70 a week for bugger all. Or £310 a month I don't have to take out of my savings.

Worse comes to the worse and I'm the bench for 6 months (max time for JSA). Thats £1860 in JSA which, in effect for me, makes savings last another month. Worth it IMHO.
    Yes you are basically right - you are not in employment so not getting a salary. I think you can take some dividends as they are not looking at your bank accounts but you should check up on that.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Feckless! Scrounger! Foreign! Leftie scum!

Sorry I have run out of steroids and I have regressed into Daily Hail mode.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    started a topic Claiming contributions based JSA

Claiming contributions based JSA

Its been a few years and I remember it being somewhat problematic but has anyone done recently when on the bench?

Personally, I think you can claim as you're not working and available for work. Probably can't continue to pay yourself salary from limited company and not sure about dividends (but then again if I got dividends from barclays shares it hardly effects my employment status).

But, I take pretty much all the money out as dividends and stick in personal savings anyway. Pretty sure contribution-based JSA doesnt take account of savings either.

Yes, its complicated and the job centre is not a cool place. OK, there are those who won't bother but the way I look at it is its £71.70 a week for bugger all. Or £310 a month I don't have to take out of my savings.

Worse comes to the worse and I'm the bench for 6 months (max time for JSA). Thats £1860 in JSA which, in effect for me, makes savings last another month. Worth it IMHO.

Working...
X