• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expenses - I don't believe this"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    But that's the point Mal - many, many contractors don't understand the ins and outs of IR35, they haven't watched the constantly moving goalposts and that's what's so utterly irresponsible about just saying 'oh don't worry about IR35'
    I don't actually disagree with you. But...

You want to be a career contractor, you learn how the job works to the same extent that you learn how to do what you sell to earn money; it's not two jobs, it's two sides of one job. If that's too hard for some reason then use an umbrella as the logical, safe solution - but don't then lecture me on being a freelance contractor. It's the same reason that less than 3% of PCG members use umbrellas; we're in a different market and a totally different business model.

If you know your job, IR35 isn't that much of a threat. But it is conditional on you knowing your job. Relying on a wing and a prayer is not a smart approach, and if you do it's not me being irresponsible.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't stop me trying to educate people...

I manage my company, nobody else, and have done for years. The accountant is there as a backstop and only rarely an advisor, and I've taken the time and care to learn the rules for myself - like any director should.

Bet it isn't. Very few are, if you work with any degree of technical competence. But if it makes you happy...

IR35 is a done deal. We know the rules and how to accomodate them and what to do if it all goes pear shaped. People who spend their lives worrying about it or see it as their biggest challenge are doing it wrong. Life's too short
    But that's the point Mal - many, many contractors don't understand the ins and outs of IR35, they haven't watched the constantly moving goalposts and that's what's so utterly irresponsible about just saying 'oh don't worry about IR35'

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Just to be pedantic - an umbrella company doesn't decide what to do with your money - HMR&C does. Where's the risk from a straight forward PAYE brolly?
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Bet it isn't. Very few are, if you work with any degree of technical competence. But if it makes you happy...
    Nah, it is, but I shall not elaborate on this too much for now. I don't want to take this thread that far off-topic.
    Clientco habitually uses contractors as a way of trialling future permies. They basically no longer have much of a permie route in without contracting first unless they're hiring low level administrative staff. Yeah, I have some freedoms, particularly regarding working time and work location, but other than that I'm very much treated like an employee.

And, as I said, good on you for the way you run your company. That's unfortunately not the norm. LTD is only the better way if you're going to actually get it right. Otherwise you can cause yourself and your finances quite a bit of harm.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Just to be pedantic - an umbrella company doesn't decide what to do with your money - HMR&C does. Where's the risk from a straight forward PAYE brolly?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    Hah, no. Just think a lot of that thinking you're in charge just cause you're self-employed is a little bit delusional. Been there, done that.

There are good pro-LTD arguments (like the higher net earnings), but there are also slightly idealistic perceptions, like the 'being in charge'. Normally that just means you're paying accountants to be in charge and insurances to be liable. Hm.
    Show me a company where the accountants aren't in charge

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Well if you're not worrying, good for you. If you're not paying to fix matters retrospectively, good for you. Looking around this forum, you seem to be in the minority.
    Yes, but it doesn't stop me trying to educate people...

Running your own LTD isn't all that hard - but doing it with 100% confidence that you've got it all 100% right - that's a bit tougher. And as for 'letting someone else decide', well I'm sure you're not completely going against what your accountant deems right or wrong. It's a perception thing.
    I manage my company, nobody else, and have done for years. The accountant is there as a backstop and only rarely an advisor, and I've taken the time and care to learn the rules for myself - like any director should.

I don't have an option currently anyway, my contract is well within IR35 and likely to go perm eventually, so I'll happily 'let someone else decide' if that means I'm safe from a later HMRC investigation.

IR35 is a done deal. We know the rules and how to accomodate them and what to do if it all goes pear shaped. People who spend their lives worrying about it or see it as their biggest challenge are doing it wrong. Life's too short

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Are you the same person as the Lithium guy we had recently?
    Hah, no. Just think a lot of that thinking you're in charge just cause you're self-employed is a little bit delusional. Been there, done that.

There are good pro-LTD arguments (like the higher net earnings), but there are also slightly idealistic perceptions, like the 'being in charge'. Normally that just means you're paying accountants to be in charge and insurances to be liable. Hm.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    A lot more than letting someone else decide what to do with it.

Time and effort? Well yes, that must take me minutes every three months and am insured for representation costs... It's called "knowing your business".
    Well if you're not worrying, good for you. If you're not paying to fix matters retrospectively, good for you. Looking around this forum, you seem to be in the minority.

Running your own LTD isn't all that hard - but doing it with 100% confidence that you've got it all 100% right - that's a bit tougher. And as for 'letting someone else decide', well I'm sure you're not completely going against what your accountant deems right or wrong. It's a perception thing.

I don't have an option currently anyway, my contract is well within IR35 and likely to go perm eventually, so I'll happily 'let someone else decide' if that means I'm safe from a later HMRC investigation.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Considering how much time and effort LTDers seem to be investing in IR35 worries and the likes (or even throwing money at solicitors to sort out matters retrospectively), I'm not sure how much more 'in control' of 'their' money they really are. *shrug*...
    Are you the same person as the Lithium guy we had recently?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Considering how much time and effort LTDers seem to be investing in IR35 worries and the likes (or even throwing money at solicitors to sort out matters retrospectively), I'm not sure how much more 'in control' of 'their' money they really are. *shrug*...
    A lot more than letting someone else decide what to do with it.

Time and effort? Well yes, that must take me minutes every three months and am insured for representation costs... It's called "knowing your business".

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    This is why you should just say 'No!' to brollies.

You arent in control of 'your' own money.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    This is why you should just say 'No!' to brollies.

You arent in control of 'your' own money.
    Hi BB Yep but at least you know with a brolly you really do have zero chance of an IR35 investigation

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    And most of them do give useful, polite, factually correct advice, which is more than can be said for the rest of us.
    Oiiii I protest... erm, actually, forget that...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    There is no denying that the umbrellas, accountants and tax avoidance scheme providers post here in order to promote their businesses but so long as they do it within the forum rules I don't see that there is any problem with that.

Generally these people make useful contributions and it allows a robust discussion of the merits of the various trading structures which is a good thing.
    And most of them do give useful, polite, factually correct advice, which is more than can be said for the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X