• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Suing for non-payment of invoice, advice wanted"

Collapse

• Safe Collections
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I just meant aside from the legal stuff about interest etc., all that site tells you is what should be common sense. And if you can't write a letter, you've no business being in business.
    Fair enough, we are (unsurprisingly) big fans of the site so we will stand down from defcon 3

But you would be surprised by the amount of business people we talk to on a daily basis who could benefit immensely from reading the "common sense" stuff over at Payontime...

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    Fair enough. £2 for a letter though?! Now that is a surprise, I would have expected at least one zero on the end of that, if not two!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by captainham View Post
    Yep, those template letters, interest calculators, guides on checking credit worthiness, FAQs, etc etc etc....totally useless cos everybody already knows all of that
    I just meant aside from the legal stuff about interest etc., all that site tells you is what should be common sense. And if you can't write a letter, you've no business being in business.

I think the letter that Lovetts sent on my behalf cost me £2. £2! If you've already contacted the client a couple of times without success, as happened to me, there seems little point following the payontime advice and sending another more formal letter. Just progress straight to the solicitor's letter to show that you're serious. But YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The one time I had an outstanding debt, I followed the advice on payontime and got my money. I also got fairly quick responses to a couple of queries via email.

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    There's always someone who'll post that payontime link, but it's entirely useless IMO.
    Yep, those template letters, interest calculators, guides on checking credit worthiness, FAQs, etc etc etc....totally useless cos everybody already knows all of that

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    There's always someone who'll post that payontime link, but it's entirely useless IMO.
    Why is that?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I used Lovetts a couple of times. First went all the way through to getting a CCJ, which cost about £500, although still didn't get the money because the client was bankrupt. Second was just getting them to send a letter, which got the attention of the client's Financial Director and had the desired effect.

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Hi,

I have an outstanding invoice which is overdue for payment. I am still in the throes of the 3-letter cycle and am hoping MyCo will be paid before having to do anything horrible, stressing and expensive like court action...

...but, if the worst comes to the worst, then can anyone recommend a solicitor who has pursued a debt through the courts for them ? Or a debt collection agency ditto ? Any ideas which of these courses of action is preferable will be listened to. I'm looking for personal experience rather than hearsay if possible.

Sum is too big to be a small claim but not big enough to break me. It would really sting to lose it though...

Thanks,

Boo
    Hello

We aren't going to plug our services (fear of Cojak) but we did supply a guide on this very subject for ContractorUK here that gives our view on your options if MyCo do not pay.

That may also be useful for JoJoGabor (although walking off site usually gets peoples attention).

Have you tried calling as well as sending letters? If so have they given a reason for late payment?

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Well the specimen letters I found on the web (there are several different ones around) said to write the first letter when 7 days overdue, the second at 14 days and the final at 21 days overdue. I wouldn't personally let a commercial debt get 30 days without something in writing - the older a debt the less likely it is to get paid.

Boo
    Yeap done all that. Today will give two days notice that I'll be Walking offsite until its paid.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well the specimin letters I found on the web (there are several different ones around) said to write the first letter when 7 days overdue, the second at 14 days and the final at 21 days overdue. I wouldn't personally let a commercial debt get 30 days without something in writing - the older a debt the less likely it is to get paid.

Boo
    But how overdue is it??

I would be sending them a letter every other day once it got past 2 weeks late personally.

Have they given you any feedback whatsoever? Even excuses?

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Just out of interest, how overdue are your invoices? I have had endless issues with my current client, getting on for 30 days overdue now and about to stay offiste if its not sorted next week.
    Well the specimen letters I found on the web (there are several different ones around) said to write the first letter when 7 days overdue, the second at 14 days and the final at 21 days overdue. I wouldn't personally let a commercial debt get 30 days without something in writing - the older a debt the less likely it is to get paid.

Boo
    Last edited by Boo; 5 November 2012, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Just out of interest, how overdue are your invoices? I have had endless issues with my current client, getting on for 30 days overdue now and about to stay offiste if its not sorted next week.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    If you PM me nearer the time, I can let you know the name of a ***very*** competent litigator who has the right mix or rottweiler versus reasonable negotiator. I've used many solicitors before and this is the only guy I would trust. He is a client of mine, but no other connection.

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    I know Safe Collections post on here from time to time but can't vouch for them personally.

Not sure if http://payontime.co.uk/ might be of any use too.

Good luck with it though.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    started a topic Suing for non-payment of invoice, advice wanted

Suing for non-payment of invoice, advice wanted

Hi,

I have an outstanding invoice which is overdue for payment. I am still in the throes of the 3-letter cycle and am hoping MyCo will be paid before having to do anything horrible, stressing and expensive like court action...

...but, if the worst comes to the worst, then can anyone recommend a solicitor who has pursued a debt through the courts for them ? Or a debt collection agency ditto ? Any ideas which of these courses of action is preferable will be listened to. I'm looking for personal experience rather than hearsay if possible.

Sum is too big to be a small claim but not big enough to break me. It would really sting to lose it though...

Thanks,

Boo

Working...
X