• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Deductions at source planned for 'controlling persons'"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    If you work for a company and are deemed to have a large amount of control over its running, you're going to have tax and NI deducted at source.

Squarely aimed at people like the student loans dude!
    I can see their point. Imagine a director of a very large company setting up a PSC and having their remuneration paid into that which would allow them to structure their tax affairs much more efficiently than if they were paid PAYE. If all of the board of directors were in on the game then there wouldn't be anyone to block it either.....

Now you would think that IR35 would cover this situation, wouldn't you but maybe it doesn't. Of course this doesn't mean that IR35 is a failure or anything, noooo....

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    The tax and NI deductions will be the responsibility of the company as well and not the individual so bye bye PSC
    Nice try, but I think you will find that it doesn't apply to most of us "micro businesses" as we don't employ more than 10 people or have a balance sheet of over 1.7m.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
    Of course, HMRC could simply conduct IR35 investigations on all the ones affected and collect a large chunk of tax back. Say 2400 people for an average of 5 years at what £30k a year including pens and interest? That's £360m. Not much I know, but still......

Or is that just too obvious?
    There you go being logical again - this is HMR&C we're talking about here

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    He then gets the perm job with a decent pension, and the Daily Mail have a story this time next year bemoaning the fact that the company has taken on 250 extra staff and given them massive pensions - all out of public funds!!!

Can't win really
    Of course, HMRC could simply conduct IR35 investigations on all the ones affected and collect a large chunk of tax back. Say 2400 people for an average of 5 years at what £30k a year including pens and interest? That's £360m. Not much I know, but still......

Or is that just too obvious?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by vince14 View Post
    Although HMRC are still yet to adequately define what a 'controlling person' is, I suspect that most of us will be able to pass the test. After all, even most Project Managers don't have any real control over budgets, strategy and staffing - the client deals with that.

And for the 2,400-odd who are caught, I imagine the conversation will go something like this;

HMRC: 'Person X is a disguised employee! Tax Him! TAX HIM!!!!'

Gov. Dept: 'Sorry X, HMRC now says you're an psuedo-employee and need to be taxed at 50% on your day rate of £500. We're not going to give you a pension, holidays, sick pay etc as you're not really an employee'.

Person X: 'Fine by me. By the way, did I tell you that my day rate has just gone up to £750? Just found out I have an additional business tax to pay. You either pay it, or make me a permie with a take home pay equivalent to my current day rate, or I walk away taking all my knowledge and skills with me'.
    He then gets the perm job with a decent pension, and the Daily Mail have a story this time next year bemoaning the fact that the company has taken on 250 extra staff and given them massive pensions - all out of public funds!!!

Can't win really

Leave a comment:

• vince14
    replied
    Although HMRC are still yet to adequately define what a 'controlling person' is, I suspect that most of us will be able to pass the test. After all, even most Project Managers don't have any real control over budgets, strategy and staffing - the client deals with that.

And for the 2,400-odd who are caught, I imagine the conversation will go something like this;

HMRC: 'Person X is a disguised employee! Tax Him! TAX HIM!!!!'

Gov. Dept: 'Sorry X, HMRC now says you're an psuedo-employee and need to be put on the payroll. You'll get a pension, holidays, sick pay etc as you're now legitimate'.

Person X: 'Fine by me. By the way, did I tell you that I'll only accept a pay packet which keeps my take home pay the same as my current day rate? You either pay it or I walk away taking all my knowledge and skills with me'.

Gov. Dept: 'Oh Noes! We can't lose you - you know how it all works! Here, have a salary of £250,000'.
    Last edited by vince14; 30 May 2012, 13:18.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Any chance of doing a summary or giving us a clue rather than just a link?
    www.pcg.org.uk.

Two articles, one on this idiotic and financially incompetent proposal and one on why it's not needed if Whitehall stopped trying to break its own rules. Both make interesting reading.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    The tax and NI deductions will be the responsibility of the company as well and not the individual so bye bye PSC

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    If you work for a company and are deemed to have a large amount of control over its running, you're going to have tax and NI deducted at source.

It doesn't apply to smaller businesses, those with under 10 employees and a balance sheet under £1.7m.

Squarely aimed at people like the student loans dude!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Any chance of doing a summary or giving us a clue rather than just a link?

Leave a comment:

• Deductions at source planned for 'controlling persons'

Deductions at source planned for 'controlling persons' | AccountingWEB

Working...
X