• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: P.I Insurance

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "P.I Insurance"

Collapse

• MikeP
    replied
    Really depends on what you do, and - more importantly - what can go wrong and what would the maximum cost to the business that they could directly attribute to your company if you screw up or simply end up being blamed for even if it wasn't your fault. This is why there are so many offerings.

Are you designing web pages for an intranet or are you updating retail prices in large retail stores? Profile/complexity of the work is irrelevant, it's the level of responsibility you carry. Could you end up with a decimal point error on the canteen lunch menu or uploading a buy-one-get-one-free offer AND halving the price on the tills

Hope that helps,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    I think the question was intended as - If don't have PI to cover sub-contractors how can you still claim the right of substitution?

That's what I was hoping to get answered. MyCo is due to start trading shortly and I've yet to purchase any insurance for it. Help!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    They are sending me a changed contract. If it comes through with the same level of insurance stipulated I will not sign and I wil not start work.

Well, all the best matey and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    They are sending me a changed contract. If it comes through with the same level of insurance stipulated I will not sign and I wil not start work.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Nope through an agent!
    Would that imply that you can get it altered then? Or has the end client stipulated it. Don't think that many freelancers or small Ltd Co would carry that sort of cover.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Nope through an agent!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I take it that this is a direct contract and not through an agent?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    It's for a crappy 200 per day contract!

I fart about with Excel and Access. I'm not taking out £5million of PI insurance. Imagine the cost of that. I checked one place and the cost of 2million was £750. I'm not stumping up £750+ for something which I will never use

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I have just got a contract where it states

"shall in respect of the period of the Assignment keep themselves insured:
    (a) for professional indemnity claims, the sum of five million pounds (£5,000,000) per anum in aggregate, and
    (b) for any other claim, the sum of five million pounds (£5,000,000) in respect of any one occurance or series of occurances arising out of any one event or series of connected events."

WTF do you do?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I have just got a contract where it states

"shall in respect of the period of the Assignment keep themselves insured:
    (a) for professional indemnity claims, the sum of five million pounds (£5,000,000) per anum in aggregate, and
    (b) for any other claim, the sum of five million pounds (£5,000,000) in respect of any one occurance or series of occurances arising out of any one event or series of connected events."

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I think the question was intended as - If don't have PI to cover sub-contractors how can you still claim the right of substitution?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by BillHicksRIP
    Anyone got any comments about this?
    No it doesn't. If you are subbing your work, you are clearly able to send substitute workers so you are clearly not providing personal service so you cannot be liable for IR35.

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    Anyone got any comments about this?

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    Looking at the Randell Dorling quote form, it has 2 questions, "Do subcontractors carry out any work on your behalf?" and "Is professional indemnity required for such subcontractors? If yes, please provide details, including number of persons and such subcontractor income that is part of your 'Last Years Annual Turnover'. "

Does the answer of yes or no have any bearing on the right of substitution clause in an IR35-friendly contract?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Yes - the £200 is for a one-man-band in a fairly normal sort of contract. Adding staff increases the business risk, so the fees go up. The package also inclues PEI and ELI, the latter will obviously increase as you add people, even if the business risk doesn't change.

Pull the application form off the PCG website, ISTR there's a scale of charges in there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X