• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Desk move

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Desk move"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Call me a gullible moron, but I'd rather lose a couple weeks invoicing than have to wake up in the morning every day knowing I was the kind of bed wetting mommy's boy that was afraid to move a desk.

Insurance issues and IR35 be damned.

As they say, a life lived in fear of IR35 is a life half lived, or words to that effect.
    lol!

Not afraid, or worried about IR35.

I was worried about being a bed wetter though!

all sorted though without hassle on Friday.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Call me a gullible moron, but I'd rather lose a couple weeks invoicing than have to wake up in the morning every day knowing I was the kind of bed wetting mommy's boy that was afraid to move a desk.

Insurance issues and IR35 be damned.

As they say, a life lived in fear of IR35 is a life half lived, or words to that effect.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by ecc83 View Post
    My current client moved offices (within same building) over Christmas. Friday afternoon we stickered everything up. Movers came in over the w/e. Monday morning we came in, everything plugged in and laid out as it was, ready to go

Hope this helps.
    Similar here, we are midway through a BIG move, and everything is so efficient. Stickered boxes for your tulip, and it all just moves like magic over a weekend. There are only about 10 people left on my floor pending the move at beginning of May.

I think I would be happy to move a desk, depends how accident prone you are. Would be a real pain to be off work cos of a back strain cos they didn't do the H&S lifting and handling course before hand.

Its like moving computers or anything else for that matter, takes 3 days to arrange a PC move and then costs like £175, and I could do it in 10 mins. Might mess up there desk placement spreadsheet, but hey, I'm not here from September.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    So next week, all our desks are getting rearranged to use space a bit better and it turns out "we" are doing the rearranging ourselves.

There are obviously health and safety issues involved, but they don't appear to be considering them, which is strange as it's public sector.

Any suggestions how to deal with it? I don't want a smashed foot from dropping a desk and not having the right insurance etc etc.

Just tell them I'm not doing it? I can feel the "what a massive d!ck" stares burning into my head already if I'm just sitting watching somone move my desk for me.
    Define your KPIS for the move.

No. Moves Per Quarter
    No. People Moved.
    Heacount
    Churn Rate%
    Cost of Move
    Down Time
    No. Minor HSE Incidents

and then go back to the FM manager and show him where he's making a mistake.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Just say no.

- is the client insured if you do yourself an injury?
    - is the client insured if you do someone else an injury or are they expect your insurance to cover it?
    - who's insurance will cover any damage that occurs?
    - sounds like D&C to me if they are getting you to do this.

Take the day off to prepare for the holiday and come back to find nothing where you expect to find it

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You're more like likely to do your back in by avoiding heavy lifting, back injuries are caused by atrophied muscles. The back injury will then occur when you pick up a toothbrush.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 April 2012, 14:43.

Leave a comment:

• ronanm
    replied
    Exactly the kind of moronic response I was worried about receiving from folk in the office.

I call it pragmatic.

If you were to put your back out and lose 2 weeks invoicing, I'm sure you wouldn't be very happy.
    Fair enough. If you don't like this moron's interpretation of your proposed actions, no problem. Nonetheless, that's likely what any client would think. If the chances of you injuring yourself outweigh the probablility that your actions will adversely affect your relationship with the client, knock yourself out (no pun intended).

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    They don't let us do that unfortunately
    Okay.

Plan b, arrange a meeting with someone not in your department (remember this just as the move starts) or claim you need to call your agency.
    Plan c, when the move starts, make minimum effort and stand back.
    Plan d, claim a back injury (as already mentioned).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by ronanm View Post
    You sound very precious. Just move the desk ffs!
    Exactly the kind of moronic response I was worried about receiving from folk in the office.

I call it pragmatic.

If you were to put your back out and lose 2 weeks invoicing, I'm sure you wouldn't be very happy.
    Last edited by jmo21; 20 April 2012, 13:01.

Leave a comment:

• ronanm
    replied
    You sound very precious. Just move the desk ffs!

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Also, I'm flying out on holiday the following day, so no way was I ever going to do it!

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think not doing it at all will not go down well at all. At worst speak to whoever and explain the H&S issues and the fact you are a 3rd party. Phrase it in a way that it is their interest for you not to get injured. HR will probably agree with you. Get some tasks that are less risk like moving the equpiment or the cabling and let permies doing lifting.
    That's how I phrased the question to the boss, sorry.... client co contact.

"Does your health and safety policy and insurance cover contractors"?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    They are not yours, unless you are a hidden permie The desks you use are getting moved though...
    lol!

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Arrange to work from home next week.
    They don't let us do that unfortunately

To be clear, this is a desk we're talking about, right?

I'd move the desk.

Unless it's made of solid marble and you have to carry it up 5 flights of stairs.

Another option is, let's say the moves are happening on Monday is to say "see you Tuesday then". And not bill for Monday obv.
    Yeah, all very bullish, and no, it's not physically an issue. Ever heard of a simple little thing called "an accident"? tulip happens.

I don't want a day off work when I'm not getting paid whether through accident or "I'm not in that day".

My current client moved offices (within same building) over Christmas. Friday afternoon we stickered everything up. Movers came in over the w/e. Monday morning we came in, everything plugged in and laid out as it was, ready to go

Hope this helps.
    Ha, yeah, worked with big companies before where they hire actual office movers, much better!

Mentioned to one of the bosses, I don't need to it, problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think not doing it at all will not go down well at all. At worst speak to whoever and explain the H&S issues and the fact you are a 3rd party. Phrase it in a way that it is their interest for you not to get injured. HR will probably agree with you. Get some tasks that are less risk like moving the equpiment or the cabling and let permies doing lifting.

Everyone a winner.

So next week, all our desks are getting rearranged
    They are not yours, unless you are a hidden permie The desks you use are getting moved though...

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    One last thing:

If you happen to know anyone in the removals trade, this would be an excellent oppo to deploy a substitute.

Do you need any help with that coat?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X