• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Deprecation of assets"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Ive had permi jobs where the employer has just given away old equipment they no longer needed. When you replace a lot of computers you get a lot of old ones you dont want, and now days the recycling charity companies want you to pay them to take them away hahaha.
    Health & Safety put the dampers on this the last places I was at. If they give you a duff PC that burns my house down the company could still be held liable for some reason or other so they just canned the whole thing and went for the asset disposal companies.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    That sounds like a lot of hassle to me ..
    But, as they say, all for a good cause

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    It means you should account for it as a sale, or sell it to yourself for market value - if your permi employer had an old computer you couldn't just sell it and keep the money!
    Ive had permi jobs where the employer has just given away old equipment they no longer needed. When you replace a lot of computers you get a lot of old ones you dont want, and now days the recycling charity companies want you to pay them to take them away hahaha.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If it is for the kids/schools or a charity some hassle is always worthwhile.
    Awwww have we found a soft to you NLUK? I think that's lovely

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If it is for the kids/schools or a charity some hassle is always worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    I'd be tempted to format them, loaded them with the licensed OS and then offer them to a school/kids clubs/nursery and get them to write a £0 invoice as a gift.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Same situation but can't be bothered with selling. How do I dispose of it formally, do I need to have pictures of me throwing it into skip ?

Had a couple of laptops bought for around £300 3-5 years ago, doubt there is any value in them now, but I still have them recorded as fixed assets ..
    I'd be tempted to format them, loaded them with the licensed OS and then offer them to a school/kids clubs/nursery and get them to write a £0 invoice as a gift.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I bought a laptop 4 and a bit years ago that's now depreciated to nothing for accounts purposes. If I were to sell it, probably only £50-£100, do I still need to account for that as a sale? Or does depreciated mean I can just say that it's mine and not the company's and nobody will ever care?
    Same situation but can't be bothered with selling. How do I dispose of it formally, do I need to have pictures of me throwing it into skip ?

Had a couple of laptops bought for around £300 3-5 years ago, doubt there is any value in them now, but I still have them recorded as fixed assets ..

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Trying to work out the CT600 this year, the only asset that I have bought is a laptop for £911, is there a guide that show's what the deprecation should be? Or do I go to the likes of eBay and check the cost of a similar spec second hand laptop?
    Depreciation

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    There's no real advantage, but then there's no disadvantage either apart from the depreciation calculation (which takes about 30 seconds). The idea is that assets are capitalised to show their ongoing use to the business, and then depreciated across their useful economic lives.
    Thanks Clare, my asset register is so small that I am inclined to just stay in line with the tax valuation myself. Makes no real difference to my balance sheet, either I have a higher net asset balance or a higher retained income.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I bought a laptop 4 and a bit years ago that's now depreciated to nothing for accounts purposes. If I were to sell it, probably only £50-£100, do I still need to account for that as a sale? Or does depreciated mean I can just say that it's mine and not the company's and nobody will ever care?
    It means you should account for it as a sale, or sell it to yourself for market value - if your permi employer had an old computer you couldn't just sell it and keep the money!

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Seeing as you can claim CT600 annual investment allowance on most of what we as one man contractors buy, is there any real advantage to have financial accounts that depreciate them? Seem like unnecessary admin for a small business like mine?
    There's no real advantage, but then there's no disadvantage either apart from the depreciation calculation (which takes about 30 seconds). The idea is that assets are capitalised to show their ongoing use to the business, and then depreciated across their useful economic lives.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Absolutely, then you end up with assets worth £1 and no one remembers what they are! This is one of the reasons why we wouldn't even capitalise something under £750 in the first place - it gets written off for tax in year one, and the pace of technology likely means that a computer for that value won't be worth much in a year anyway.
    Seeing as you can claim CT600 annual investment allowance on most of what we as one man contractors buy, is there any real advantage to have financial accounts that depreciate them? Seem like unnecessary admin for a small business like mine?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    So when does the asset's value reach zero on "reducing balance" basis. Surely you end up with an asset that has a value, however small, ad infinitum. I've noticed this with my laptop, can it still have a value come 2020.
    Absolutely, then you end up with assets worth £1 and no one remembers what they are! This is one of the reasons why we wouldn't even capitalise something under £750 in the first place - it gets written off for tax in year one, and the pace of technology likely means that a computer for that value won't be worth much in a year anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X