• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deprecation of assets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Trying to work out the CT600 this year, the only asset that I have bought is a laptop for £911, is there a guide that show's what the deprecation should be? Or do I go to the likes of eBay and check the cost of a similar spec second hand laptop?
    Depreciation
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I bought a laptop 4 and a bit years ago that's now depreciated to nothing for accounts purposes. If I were to sell it, probably only £50-£100, do I still need to account for that as a sale? Or does depreciated mean I can just say that it's mine and not the company's and nobody will ever care?
      Same situation but can't be bothered with selling. How do I dispose of it formally, do I need to have pictures of me throwing it into skip ?

Had a couple of laptops bought for around £300 3-5 years ago, doubt there is any value in them now, but I still have them recorded as fixed assets ..

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        Same situation but can't be bothered with selling. How do I dispose of it formally, do I need to have pictures of me throwing it into skip ?

Had a couple of laptops bought for around £300 3-5 years ago, doubt there is any value in them now, but I still have them recorded as fixed assets ..
        I'd be tempted to format them, loaded them with the licensed OS and then offer them to a school/kids clubs/nursery and get them to write a £0 invoice as a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
          I'd be tempted to format them, loaded them with the licensed OS and then offer them to a school/kids clubs/nursery and get them to write a £0 invoice as a gift.
          That sounds like a lot of hassle to me ..

Comment

If it is for the kids/schools or a charity some hassle is always worthwhile.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If it is for the kids/schools or a charity some hassle is always worthwhile.
              Awwww have we found a soft to you NLUK? I think that's lovely
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                It means you should account for it as a sale, or sell it to yourself for market value - if your permi employer had an old computer you couldn't just sell it and keep the money!
                Ive had permi jobs where the employer has just given away old equipment they no longer needed. When you replace a lot of computers you get a lot of old ones you dont want, and now days the recycling charity companies want you to pay them to take them away hahaha.

Comment

But, as they say, all for a good cause

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Ive had permi jobs where the employer has just given away old equipment they no longer needed. When you replace a lot of computers you get a lot of old ones you dont want, and now days the recycling charity companies want you to pay them to take them away hahaha.
                    Health & Safety put the dampers on this the last places I was at. If they give you a duff PC that burns my house down the company could still be held liable for some reason or other so they just canned the whole thing and went for the asset disposal companies.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X