• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC increase the Home Office allowance"

Collapse

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Now I'm more confused, I never heard this (formal rental agreement) being advised by my current or my previous accountant.

I've previously got my information from:
    Specific deductions: use of home: specific expenses
    Specific deductions: use of home: examples
    It is an option, but as I said in a previous post, it is not something we would generally recommend.

However for clients who show an interest in doing it, we have the details of what they need to do in order to be successful.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    This is what is on their website:

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/images/...e%20Office.pdf

seems a choice between the flat rate or setting up a rental agreement.
    Originally posted by NixonWilliams site
    If you trade through a limited company it is possible that you can claim for more than £156 per annum, however, you will need
    to set up a rental agreement between you and your company. Failure to have a formal agreement could lead HMRC to classify
    the rent as extra salary with the Tax/NIC consequences of this.
    Now I'm more confused, I never heard this (formal rental agreement) being advised by my current or my previous accountant.

I've previously got my information from:
    Specific deductions: use of home: examples

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I believe the only people in the UK with a legal right to enter your home at any stage, is HMRC and the Customs and Excise peeps.
    There was song about this decades ago, it had a chorus "We've a statutary right to enter in your home" Flanders and Swan? It was quite a long song anyway.

PS Ah no, it was Richard Stilgoe. "Statutory Right of Entry to your Home" (And he spelt stattuetary correctly)

PPS Also:

•Fire Brigade
    •Gas and Electricity Suppliers
    •Water Companies
    •Housing
    •Planning and Rating
    •Mental Health
    •Infectious Diseases and Illness
    •Pests and Vermin
    •Smoking
    •Concerns about children
    •Search Orders
    •Bailiffs and Enforcement Officers

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrig...ome/index.html
    Last edited by xoggoth; 4 March 2012, 09:43.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    What would you advise someone who actually works from home, rather than claiming they run a home office for business admin? I've nearly always worked at home - both for paying clients and on my plan B - so I expense £100/month which is 10-15% of the house's 'running costs', on the basis one room in the house is set aside as my full-time office.
    This is what is on their website:

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/images/...e%20Office.pdf

seems a choice between the flat rate or setting up a rental agreement.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    Our recommendation would be to claim the £3/£4 - the extra work and possibility of having to justify a higher claim is generally not worth it.

Alan
    What would you advise someone who actually works from home, rather than claiming they run a home office for business admin? I've nearly always worked at home - both for paying clients and on my plan B - so I expense £100/month which is 10-15% of the house's 'running costs', on the basis one room in the house is set aside as my full-time office.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    £4 a week, meh!
    And dont forget you are only actually saving the tax element of that £4.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    I believe the only people in the UK with a legal right to enter your home at any stage, is HMRC and the Customs and Excise peeps. I genuinely think these chaps can just wander in and out at whim. I think Ofcomm peeps can, and Planners. All without warrants.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Extra £1 a week = £52 a year = £10.40 saved in CT. Cheers HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Christ man. I hope you have a good accountant cause your grasp on your accounts is bloody rubbish.
    WHS+1. Must admit the poster confused me with talk of payroll - WTF is he on about?

Leave a comment:

• SallyPlanIT
    replied
    I think this relates to the case, Baird v. Williams (no relation!), which concerned an employee rather than an officer of a company.

I would rely on the following.

Having said that, I would generally advise against this route as not being worth while.

For contractors using a limited company there is the option to draw up a rental agreement, but again I would porbably not recommend this for most people. Anyone interested in this, there is a factsheet on our website that describes it in more detail.

Alan
    If you follow my link and go back over the previous pages, you find this page which is directed specifically as service companies and provides several examples of computer contractors.

Other expenses: home: working from home: service companies

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyPlanIT View Post
    I think you'll find the rules changed for service companies
    Other expenses: home: household expenses: expenses that are not deductible
    I think this relates to the case, Baird v. Williams (no relation!), which concerned an employee rather than an officer of a company.

I would rely on the following.

Having said that, I would generally advise against this route as not being worth while.

For contractors using a limited company there is the option to draw up a rental agreement, but again I would porbably not recommend this for most people. Anyone interested in this, there is a factsheet on our website that describes it in more detail.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• SallyPlanIT
    replied

What sort of costs can I claim for?

Generally, HMRC will accept a reasonable proportion of
    costs such as council tax, mortgage interest, insurance,
    water rates, general repairs and rent, as well as cleaning,
    heat, light and metered water.

Alan
    I think you'll find the rules changed for service companies
    Other expenses: home: household expenses: expenses that are not deductible

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    I was always confused how these set of rules fit in with the other set of rules that cover expensing the % of your utilities & rent/mortgage payments according to the % of your home's floorspace used for an office. They seem like two entirely separate things... the former appears to talk about EXTRA costs (e.g. lights being on for more hours) due to being at home.
    If the self-employed carry on some of their business from home, then some tax relief may be available. HMRC accept that even if the business is carried on elsewhere, a deduction for part of the household expenses is still acceptable provided that there are times when part of the home is used solely for business purposes. To quote:

“If there is only minor use, for example writing up the business records at home, you may accept a reasonable estimate without detailed enquiry.”

So that there is no confusion, ‘wholly and exclusively’ does not mean that business expenditure has to be separately billed or that part of the home must be permanently used for business purposes. However, it does mean that when part of the home is being used for the business then that is the sole use for that part at that time.

HMRC accept that costs can be apportioned but on what basis? Well, if a small amount is claimed then HMRC will usually not be too interested. In fact, HMRC accept that an amount of £3 (soon to be £4)per week with no great record keeping or other
    requirements. However, if more is to be claimed then HMRC suggest that the following factors are considered:

• the proportion in terms of area of the home that is used for business purposes
    • how much is consumed where there is a metered or measurable supply such as electricity, gas or water and
    • how long it is used for business purposes.

What sort of costs can I claim for?

Generally, HMRC will accept a reasonable proportion of
    costs such as council tax, mortgage interest, insurance,
    water rates, general repairs and rent, as well as cleaning,
    heat, light and metered water.

Other allowable costs may include the cost of business calls
    on the home telephone and a proportion of the line rental,
    in addition to expenditure on internet connections to the
    extent that the connection is used for business purposes.

HMRC accept that a £3/£4 per week expense claim is acceptable without too much formality. However, to justify a higher payment, the message is, prove it!

Our recommendation would be to claim the £3/£4 - the extra work and possibility of having to justify a higher claim is generally not worth it.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    £4 a week, meh!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    HMRC are increasing the allowance contractors may claim for working at home, from £3 to £4 per week.

Contractors and freelancers can be reimbursed for additional household expenses – such as gas or electricity charges - incurred because you have to work from home, probably in order to your limited company administration work.
    I was always confused how these set of rules fit in with the other set of rules that cover expensing the % of your utilities & rent/mortgage payments according to the % of your home's floorspace used for an office. They seem like two entirely separate things... the former appears to talk about EXTRA costs (e.g. lights being on for more hours) due to being at home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X