• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Business bank account - do you pay?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    But do they pay any interest on business savings accounts. Barclays only pay a paltry 0.5% (for any month in which you don't take money out of the savings a/c)... not much but it adds up if you have a few mil in there
    My account pays 0% I _think_, but you get a free savings account you can transfer money in/out freely online - the longer you don't withdraw money, the more interest it pays. Still crap, but you can get _something_.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Mrs is with Santander for her small business..
    Free but only annoying thing is you cant pay in over the counter.

Tried it - they wont do it. They make you the cashpoint machine to pay in. Now I've no issue paying in cheques this way but for cash I'd rather have a proper receipt with a total on rather than just stuff it all in a sealed envelope.....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
    Wondering whether most ppl here pay for their business bank accounts? I am on a 18m free banking deal, that'll be up in june. I just looked around to switch but looks like most banks offer just 6 months for switchers? Switching every 6 months is such a pain! No option but to pay ???
    Have never paid, and don't intend to. Was with Abbey, now Santander.

Leave a comment:

• backagain
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    My ltd co is with Santander which is free, not sure if they offer free banking to new customers anymore (check their website).

I know HSBC do, providing you do everything online, get paid via BACS, using standing orders, and don't do cheques, etc etc.

Check out "Business Direct" on their website.
    I am with HSBC too. Very good. They do charge you for the Corporate Credit Card after the first year; think its 33 quid per year. Other than that happy to stay with HSBC.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickWallace87 View Post
    Ye Cater Allen are a good option! Been with them a while now.
    Yep. OK. Free and that.....

Didnt know it costs after 30 transactions though?

Only thing is it costs 8E to recieve a payment into my euro account (in euros), and their rate to change up to linked sterling account is tulipe. I transfer the euros out to currencyfair.com, convert it, and pay back into sterling account (and they charge me 29E for an outgoing euro transfer but its free for sterling incoming) and I still get a better return.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    But do they pay any interest on business savings accounts. Barclays only pay a paltry 0.5% (for any month in which you don't take money out of the savings a/c)... not much but it adds up if you have a few mil in there
    Average of £13200 in account for the year at 0.5% = £66 = £5.50 a month doesnt it?

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Over 50K but its pretty poor, Cater allen are part of Santander

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by NickWallace87 View Post

Leave a comment:

• NickWallace87
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    +1 for cater allen

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    Cater Allen, free under 30 transactions per month.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oh and Lloyds have a free banking option as well apparently. It's been mentioned here before (so do a search) and when I looked at their business banking site it mentioned it with the fee structure.
    This sounds good, but i can't find it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    I know HSBC do, providing you do everything online, get paid via BACS, using standing orders, and don't do cheques, etc etc.
    You can do some cheques every month but you definitely cannot deal with cash as in handing in loose change over the counter otherwise they charge you extra for it.

Oh and Lloyds have a free banking option as well apparently. It's been mentioned here before (so do a search) and when I looked at their business banking site it mentioned it with the fee structure.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I have accounts with both Santander (was A&L) and HSBC. All are free and always have been, with the exception of the $US account I have with HSBC, which as a 'special' account charges $5/mo.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Barclays charge £5.50 a month but the hassle involved and my apathy towards this prevents me from moving to another bank.

They have business savings accounts, in which I keep most of my money and earn 0.5% interest, which easily offsets the monthly fee and then some.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X