• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Freelance deisgner going Ltd"

Collapse

• davestewart
    replied
    Mooooooonnnnnnkkkkkkeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy...

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by davestewart
    I don't use this site currently as I go under my other moniker which you'll find if you actually click something... (none taken)
    Oh you can click those!

Sorry I'm back from the old days where HTML was a convenient way of distributing information and all links were underlined.

Leave a comment:

• davestewart
    replied
    I don't use this site currently as I go under my other moniker which you'll find if you actually click something... (none taken)

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I'm pretty happy with : www.davestewart.co.uk
    Apart from the fact I got bored on the first page - looks like one of those crappy pixel sites (no offense). It's better than my site though so I shouldn't complain

Leave a comment:

• davestewart
    replied
    I'm pretty happy with : www.davestewart.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    There's always the domain name to be considered when picking a company name.
    davidstewart.ltd.uk

No match for "davidstewart.ltd.uk".

This domain name has not been registered.

WHOIS lookup made at 11:03:57 15-May-2006

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Some good advice there, thanks ASB.

One last question to round things off: I can't really be bothered to think up some fancy company name - I think I'd be happy with Dave Stewart Ltd, if I pass all the other tests (as we discussed).

Do you see any problems with that? I was worried that the IR might think they were smelling a rat, but if I'm legit I don't see why I should have to "rename" just because I'm going Ltd.

Cheers again,
    Dave
    It is common (but by no means essential) to incorporate "off the shelf" with whatever name is going. Subsequently you change. You can check what is registered at companies house on line. Your suggested name is currently available, but if you do anything musical might have problems with "passing off" because "Dave Stewart Drums" is already incorporated.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    IMHO, consider:

David Stewart Limited

Rather than

Dave Stewart Ltd

Instantly turns to class!
    There's always the domain name to be considered when picking a company name.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    IMHO, consider:

David Stewart Limited

Rather than

Dave Stewart Ltd

Instantly turns to class!

Leave a comment:

• davestewart
    replied
    Some good advice there, thanks ASB.

One last question to round things off: I can't really be bothered to think up some fancy company name - I think I'd be happy with Dave Stewart Ltd, if I pass all the other tests (as we discussed).

Do you see any problems with that? I was worried that the IR might think they were smelling a rat, but if I'm legit I don't see why I should have to "rename" just because I'm going Ltd.

Cheers again,
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Ha ha ... well it wasn't exactly like that. The work was gained through an agency, so I have 2 options: 1) Get paid PAYE through the agency, 2) Incorporate and get paid direct. This time around I woudl prefer to go this route if poss.

Re: your second answer - thanks. Hopefully the IR can tell me on Weds.
    Fair enough, essentially because it's an agency S134 will force them down that road. But what you actually wrote was "The latest company I've worked for wants me to go Ltd before they'll pay me"

Looking to Weds there is no way on earth the IR will tell you that you are outside. [In fact they will NEVER tell you that, merely give you an opinion]. They will not give an opinion unless you send in contract for review -general advice is NEVER DO THIS.

One thing you might wish to consider is that one of the biggest pointers to being self employed is previously being accepted as such by the revenue. If you are generally happy to carry on being self employed one strategy used by a number of people is:-

- Use the Ltd to get agency work.
    - Ltd subcontracts that work to the the individual (who has bid with an appropriate set of T&C's)

In general the IR appear to be happy with this, mainly because the difference between their take is not particularly large. The s/e person is paying tax on the entire profit and NI at the appropriate rate.

IR35 is not really about tax - where the losses are small. It's really about NI because remuneration via divis results in no NI payment at all.

Tell us how Weds. goes.

Leave a comment:

• davestewart
    replied
    So, you've agreed the work, done it and now they say "you've got to go incorporate mate". I think my next stop would be he country coourt not the local company formation agents.
    Ha ha ... well it wasn't exactly like that. The work was gained through an agency, so I have 2 options: 1) Get paid PAYE through the agency, 2) Incorporate and get paid direct. This time around I woudl prefer to go this route if poss.

Re: your second answer - thanks. Hopefully the IR can tell me on Weds.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I tend to have either 2 concurrent things or nothing going on plus I have permanent research interests (non booked time goes down as research).

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    The latest company I've worked for wants me to go Ltd before they'll pay me. Because of my working practices, I think I'm outside of IR35. Is that right?
    So, you've agreed the work, done it and now they say "you've got to go incorporate mate". I think my next stop would be he country coourt not the local company formation agents.

s/e Definitiely no IR335. From your description of yoour work patrern incorporated you're probably OK but you can never tell.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Forgot to mention - £120 basic, £220 for the full deal. Immediate benefits worth around £1000 on the open market.

JFDI...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X