• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First Year Accounts with huge corp tax"

Collapse

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    I suspect that's the problem. 15k is not high for contractors!
    Or sent it all back home to Hyderabad.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    <cough>
    Before you ask (or imply) NLUK - not me matey.

Might be clueless for some things but I aint that bad - got all my ducks in a row with regards to this.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Surely spending VAT money is the worst? Strictly speaking thats not really your money to start with....

Although spending your CT money without regard is probably just as bad. Im assuming these people didnt have decent accountants telling them to leave it alone?

Just working it out. £1000 a day for 2 years is not far shy of £450K income. Even allowing for £25K a year business expenses, thats still 20% of £400K on CT = £80K.

Plus of course, there'd be the additional personal tax liability by going over the 40% threshold each year (plus the £100K thing). £200K pa income. £160K over 40% bracket so another 22.5%(?) on top = £36K per year. Plus the £100K thing (dont know the figures for this cos I'm not that lucky!)

So, £80K CT owed, £72K (+more) personal tax owed. Bet he had to sit down after getting that letter !!!!

Like someone said, if the person in question has blown the lot, then it aint easy for HMRC to get hold of £150K off someone.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Thats scary. Scary thinking about how much the tax bill would be and scary thinking that someone could be so dull!!!!
    <cough>

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    No it's not. If you've spent money that isn't yours then your creditor has the right to get it back.

I'm sure the house would be the last option but if you've been that reckless then it's deserved...
    The cheeky g't also asked me to lend him £50 after he'd told me his story. You can guess the answer.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Wouldn't be the first contractor to think they're rich and spend all the money they are "making". Knew a guy who started contracting in 1999 on £1000 a day and lived the 1000 a day lifestyle for 24 months. Had a bit of a shock when ye old tax man came a calling
    Thats scary. Scary thinking about how much the tax bill would be and scary thinking that someone could be so dull!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    What if you have to spend the tax money short term thinking you will make it back then you run into trouble? Pretty brutal if they then go after your house.
    No it's not. If you've spent money that isn't yours then your creditor has the right to get it back.

I'm sure the house would be the last option but if you've been that reckless then it's deserved...

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Oh no. Urban Myth.

If you have behaved fraudulently by, for example, spending tax monies belonging to HMRC (i.e. the VAT) or not reserving funds for tax bills you know you are going to have to pay (i.e. CT), they can -and will - come after you personally.

You're allowed to make mistakes. Once. You arent allowed to take the piss. Nor do they allow for sheer stupidity.
    What if you have to spend the tax money short term thinking you will make it back then you run into trouble? Pretty brutal if they then go after your house.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    And then he opened a tat shop?

Joking aside, don't think they can take your house. Unless he didnt have a limited company? They can only go for assets belonging to the company.
    Oh no. Urban Myth.

If you have behaved fraudulently by, for example, spending tax monies belonging to HMRC (i.e. the VAT) or not reserving funds for tax bills you know you are going to have to pay (i.e. CT), they can -and will - come after you personally.

You're allowed to make mistakes. Once. You arent allowed to take the piss. Nor do they allow for sheer stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Seen that as well, end of the dot com bubble.

Business class flights everywhere. Top hotels. Champagne lifestyle.
    Lease on a Ferrari.

Idiot spent all of his Corp tax. Then dipped into his VAT.

Contract market collapsed. Out of a job, couldn't get another.

They took it all, including house.
    And then he opened a tat shop?

Joking aside, don't think they can take your house. Unless he didnt have a limited company? They can only go for assets belonging to the company.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Wouldn't be the first contractor to think they're rich and spend all the money they are "making". Knew a guy who started contracting in 1999 on £1000 a day and lived the 1000 a day lifestyle for 24 months. Had a bit of a shock when ye old tax man came a calling
    Seen that as well, end of the dot com bubble.

Business class flights everywhere. Top hotels. Champagne lifestyle.
    Lease on a Ferrari.

Idiot spent all of his Corp tax. Then dipped into his VAT.

Contract market collapsed. Out of a job, couldn't get another.

They took it all, including house.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Wouldn't be the first contractor to think they're rich and spend all the money they are "making".
    What he said. We have also had a number of people on here in trouble after running hand to mouth all year. It happens more often than it should and with so many people starting contracting after being made redundant etc will start to happen more IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Oops. Hope OP hasnt spent it all....

Seems a bit of a strange thing to do though - go all year and then wait to see how much your tax bill is going to be and then pay it?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Oops. Hope OP hasnt spent it all....

Seems a bit of a strange thing to do though - go all year and then wait to see how much your tax bill is going to be and then pay it?

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Let's hope the OP hasn't spent it!
    I suspect that's the problem. 15k is not high for contractors!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X