• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Registered Address vs Personal Address"

Collapse

• carlosLondon
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your help, this will make things easier :-)

Cheers
    C

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    No it doesn't matter. Point out to her that while it is true that you are a company director, you don't carry out any business from the property, don't receive any visitors to the property, don't hold any business assets at the property and it's not the company's registered office. It just so happens that HMRC choose to send certain documents to your residential address rather than your company's registered office.

Sorry I don't have any references for this but I went through this comprehensively a few years ago with regards to mortgages, tenancy agreements, home insurance, council tax etc and the way the majority of contractors operate is just fine.
    WHS
    I know for insurance it's a case of:
    1. Reading the small print on your insurance documents
    2. Phoning up and asking the insurance company

Most insurance companies nowadays allow you to use your personal premises to work from either as an employee or even as a freelancer for clerical type work with no extra premium. To qualify you must not have any business related visitors to your residence or have any stock.

Have a read of this - http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...type=RESOURCES and follow the links.

Found the case - http://www.andrewbibby.com/telework/businessrates.html
    Last edited by SueEllen; 5 November 2011, 16:53.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by carlosLondon View Post
    My "issue". My landlady is wondering if the fact that I'm l receiving "business" post into the personal address will affect the residential status of the house (insurance, council tax, etc). Can any of you confirm if this is the case (or not...), send me some links, etc?
    No it doesn't matter. Point out to her that while it is true that you are a company director, you don't carry out any business from the property, don't receive any visitors to the property, don't hold any business assets at the property and it's not the company's registered office. It just so happens that HMRC choose to send certain documents to your residential address rather than your company's registered office.

Sorry I don't have any references for this but I went through this comprehensively a few years ago with regards to mortgages, tenancy agreements, home insurance, council tax etc and the way the majority of contractors operate is just fine.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    As Tractor's last para, I seem to recall the rules have changed in last few years and it isn't usually a problem just registering somewhere as a business address, However, I think you will find this has been covered quite extensively on accounting web in the past, best to join up and search there.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Good morning

I've asked my accountants, but they're being a bit vague/don't want to commit to a definite answer.

I am paying my accountants a bit extra to use their address as my LTD registered office address. I am still receiving some post to my personal address, which I understand is because I'm the director of my LTD so HMRC, bank, etc will send post to my personal address directly. This post is mostly addressed to my LTD.

My "issue". My landlady is wondering if the fact that I'm l receiving "business" post into the personal address will affect the residential status of the house (insurance, council tax, etc). Can any of you confirm if this is the case (or not...), send me some links, etc?

If it does affect the residential status...will I be able to use a PO Box instead? I think I've read somewhere that PO Boxes cannot be used to deal with companies house/hmrc/etc, is that correct?

Thanks a lot in advance

C
    The form that you need is the 64-8, if your accountant is registered with HMRC as an agent, they will be able to manage it online. There are 3 checkboxes, one for VAT, one for CT and one for personal taxation. Make sure your accountant is authorised as your agent for all three (if that is what you require), each department will then correspond with your agent for almost everything, which should minimise the correspondence at your own address.

Be careful when doing this though, because if your accountant is forgetful, remiss, incompetent, on holiday without adequate cover, he and consequently you may miss important notifications/deadlines etc and remember YOU are liable HE is not!!!

I think the definition that they use for commercial premises is one where the premises are open to the public, customers can visit or stock is stored or on hand. I wouldn't think you have an issue there but it might take printing out the definition from the local rating agency to convince them.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    any ideas of where I can check if this affects the residential status?

Cheers
    Not sure. Perhaps your tenancy agreement or with your landlady's mortgage provider? Running your business from the personal address isn't going to change the house into a commercial property though

Leave a comment:

• carlosLondon
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    Hi,

Not sure whether it affects the residential status of the house but I think a PO Box cannot be used for HMRC and certainly not your accountants address. However, you can use your accountants address for the registered office and service address since you're paying them an extra fee for the service. This should ensure that any junk mail and Companies House mail goes to them rather than your personal address.

If you didn't want your personal address with HMRC, you could have a virtual office somewhere else?
    any ideas of where I can check if this affects the residential status?

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• carlosLondon
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can't see how it makes a difference. The business is registered elsewhere, all you are there is a correspondence address.

BTW HMRC sends most of my stuff to my accountants as well. Have they registered themselves with HMRC properly?
    Yes they have (I hope!!) but I started my ltd recently, so the first month I got a few letters from them.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Hi,

Not sure whether it affects the residential status of the house but I think a PO Box cannot be used for HMRC and certainly not your accountants address. However, you can use your accountants address for the registered office and service address since you're paying them an extra fee for the service. This should ensure that any junk mail and Companies House mail goes to them rather than your personal address.

If you didn't want your personal address with HMRC, you could have a virtual office somewhere else?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Can't see how it makes a difference. The business is registered elsewhere, all you are there is a correspondence address.

BTW HMRC sends most of my stuff to my accountants as well. Have they registered themselves with HMRC properly?

Leave a comment:

• carlosLondon
    started a topic Registered Address vs Personal Address

Registered Address vs Personal Address

Good morning

I've asked my accountants, but they're being a bit vague/don't want to commit to a definite answer.

I am paying my accountants a bit extra to use their address as my LTD registered office address. I am still receiving some post to my personal address, which I understand is because I'm the director of my LTD so HMRC, bank, etc will send post to my personal address directly. This post is mostly addressed to my LTD.

If it does affect the residential status...will I be able to use a PO Box instead? I think I've read somewhere that PO Boxes cannot be used to deal with companies house/hmrc/etc, is that correct?

Thanks a lot in advance

C

Working...
X