• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expenses for Working Abroad."

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by prozak View Post
    Yep. That is what the P11Dx does. Application for dispensation.
    We have a dispensation to pay an overnight scale rate for the UK but HMRC have let us know that when it is due to be reviewed in 2012 they will likely withdraw it. They don't like small Ltd Co's having them, apparently.

I didn't think you needed a dispensation to apply the overseas scale rates?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    You'll need to be able to prove that you have robust controls in place to stop employees just claiming anything, and that someone other than the person making the claim approves the claim.

If you haven't got that, then chances are that the application will be rejected.

Oh - and you'll still need to keep the receipts.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I thought that to use a scale rate, you needed dispensation from HMRC to do so? Maybe not for overseas work - I'd speak to an accountant for clarity before you start claiming.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Thanks. Great link that one.

So it seems I can use those benchmarks as long as I get in a P11Dx.

They seem reasonable for Barbados. Approx £100-110 for the hotel room and £60 for subsistence.

That looks the way to go, the guidance suggests I don't have to keep loads of receipts. In fact if I use HMRC scale rates it seems that no receipts are required?
    I thought that to use a scale rate, you needed dispensation from HMRC to do so? Maybe not for overseas work - I'd speak to an accountant for clarity before you start claiming.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

They seem reasonable for Barbados. Approx £100-110 for the hotel room and £60 for subsistence.

That looks the way to go, the guidance suggests I don't have to keep loads of receipts. In fact if I use HMRC scale rates it seems that no receipts are required?
    ALWAYS keep reciepts.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Use the cheapest way to get currency out whether it's your business card or personal cards. Make sure you keep all receipts.

As you will be away for months you will find that you are allowed your rent and a daily living allowance for food. This means you won't be claiming for individual meals apart from your days of travel.

There is a booklet on HMRC's website which gives Civil service rates that you can claim world-wide. It's on this page - Employment income: scale rate expenses payments: accommodation and subsistence payments to employees travelling outside the UK

I suggest you read everything people have guided you to, then confirm with your accountant that you are allowed to do all this.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    So a follow up.

I assume it does not matter if I use my company Visa card for these expenses?

What about paying for things out of petty cash? I.e taking cash out of ATM's. Cos I'd rather not have a load of small expenses and getting charged fees every time I make a transaction abroad.
    Use the cheapest way to get currency out whether it's your business card or personal cards. Make sure you keep all receipts.

As you will be away for months you will find that you are allowed your rent and a daily living allowance for food. This means you won't be claiming for individual meals apart from your days of travel.

There is a booklet on HMRC's website which gives Civil service rates that you can claim world-wide. It's on this page - Employment income: scale rate expenses payments: accommodation and subsistence payments to employees travelling outside the UK

I suggest you read everything people have guided you to, then confirm with your accountant that you are allowed to do all this.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Hold on. I read that as:

I can claim my accom and subsistence when they arrive.
    I cannot claim theirs.

I can still claim my accommodation when they arrive as long as I didnt get a bigger place to accommodate them.
    Foreign travel rules: duties performed wholly abroad: foreign accommodation or subsistence costs and expenses says

If accommodation or subsistence is provided partly for another purpose, for example, private use for a holiday, you should limit the deduction to the amount included in earnings that is properly attributable to the business purpose.
    I would argue that using a flat that you rented for business purposes to put your family up so that they don't have to stay in a hotel would fail duality of purpose, because it is being used for private use as well now.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Foreign travel rules: duties performed wholly or partly abroad: travelling expenses of the employee's family is the page to read - two trips per tax year, if you are abroad for 60 days or more.

You can claim the flight, but no accommodation or subsistence when they get there, and if they are staying in the same flat as you, adjust your claim for that period accordingly. Check up on the duality of purpose rules.
    Hold on. I read that as:

I can claim my accom and subsistence when they arrive.
    I cannot claim theirs.

I can still claim my accommodation when they arrive as long as I didnt get a bigger place to accommodate them.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    So a follow up.

I assume it does not matter if I use my company Visa card for these expenses?

What about paying for things out of petty cash? I.e taking cash out of ATM's. Cos I'd rather not have a load of small expenses and getting charged fees every time I make a transaction abroad.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    aha! Thanks.

Duties wholly abroad.

Only reason I am asking is that I do not believe I will be non-resident.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    You might be surprised. I think it depends on whether your duties are wholly or partly performed abroad.

See here

Travelling expenses: employees working abroad: expenses that may be deducted: example
    Foreign travel rules: duties performed wholly or partly abroad: travelling expenses of the employee's family is the page to read - two trips per tax year, if you are abroad for 60 days or more.

You can claim the flight, but no accommodation or subsistence when they get there, and if they are staying in the same flat as you, adjust your claim for that period accordingly. Check up on the duality of purpose rules.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Any others I should be claiming?
    What if my family wish to visit ? - that sounds wrong to me...

Thanks.
    You might be surprised. I think it depends on whether your duties are wholly or partly performed abroad.

See here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM34003.htm
    Last edited by Pondlife; 19 October 2011, 15:10. Reason: linky

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    It's all in here

Special rules for employees travelling to work outside the United Kingdom: contents page

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    pop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X