• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New to contracting - umbrella or limited company?"

Collapse

• djj
    replied
    Thanks to everyone who has replied to my query - the setting up of my own Ltd company is the best option.

Warmest regards

djj

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by GregCapitalCity View Post
    Based on your rate and contract duration, a ltd company may suit you best (from a tax perspective you will be much better off going ltd). There are other considerations as well before you dive into using your own ltd company, but on the face of it, its certainly worth exploring further.

And they are quick to set-up these days - 2-24hrs for the ltd company, and 1-10 working days for the business bank account (depending on the bank you choose).

Good luck.
    Also VAT registration seems to be <1 week. A friend submitted a new registration on Wednesday last week and got his registration certificate in the post today.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    At your rate it is certainly worth setting up a limited company, yes there is more work but the rewards are far bigger.

Speak to an accountant, I use Nixon Williams and I think they still set up a company for you free of charge, speak to them they are very helpful.

Umbrella's are probably going to become even less rewarding after new regulations come in later this year.

What makes you say that Waldorf??

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    Based on your rate and contract duration, a ltd company may suit you best (from a tax perspective you will be much better off going ltd). There are other considerations as well before you dive into using your own ltd company, but on the face of it, its certainly worth exploring further.

And they are quick to set-up these days - 2-24hrs for the ltd company, and 1-10 working days for the business bank account (depending on the bank you choose).

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You could of course read the sticky that is dedicated to this exact question and have a look at the guides on the right.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    At your rate it is certainly worth setting up a limited company, yes there is more work but the rewards are far bigger.

Speak to an accountant, I use Nixon Williams and I think they still set up a company for you free of charge, speak to them they are very helpful.

Umbrella's are probably going to become even less rewarding after new regulations come in later this year.

Leave a comment:

• djj
    started a topic New to contracting - umbrella or limited company?

New to contracting - umbrella or limited company?

Hi all,

Recently found myself a contracting position and I have signed up under an umbrella company as the position came about suddenly.
    Anyhow I was reading some information on some website saying it is best to set up your own limited company if you earn more than £25.000pa. Currently I am earning £27.00 per hour and the contract is for 7 months.
    After this date I would like to continue in the conrracting world but wanted to get some advise as to whether or not I should stick with the umbrella for the duration of the contract or look to set up my own limited company asap.

Many thanks.
    djj

Working...
X