• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "75% - 80% take home pay - really? help pls!"

Collapse

• pastalista
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well, they were talking about removing the concession then David Cameron said he was on the side of "go-getters" and vowed 23 March's Budget would be the "most pro-growth this country has seen for a generation".

I wonder if we count as "go-getters" ?
    No, I think we count as "no-mark, should be PAYE, are really employees dodging their "fair" share of tax, getting paid more than honest permies doing the same job, always whinging about not getting paid for holidays or when they are sick, we'll get them don't you worry", hard working contractors.

Go getters are the people to whom they are going to give £2k so that they can "start the businesses that will employ people". If you pitched it to ITV as a new comedy, they'd say it was too unbelievable.

Pastalista

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well, they were talking about removing the concession then David Cameron said he was on the side of "go-getters" and vowed 23 March's Budget would be the "most pro-growth this country has seen for a generation".

Well go get me a coffee and we will find out, milk no sugar please

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Ah you mean the ESC16 route that they're about to make utterly useless?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Yup. But the OP asked how its done, we answered. How its done post-budget is another matter, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    @pmeswani, see my post above. Add to that, deferral of income and and ESC C16 extraction then you're probably there.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsjdaccountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    @pmeswani, see my post above. Add to that, deferral of income and and ESC C16 extraction then you're probably there.
    Agreed that's the lines of it, with the flat rate saving and expenses it can all help push up your take home.

<Mod snip> Advertising. </Mod snip>
    Last edited by Danielsjdaccountancy; 8 March 2011, 09:59.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
    Over the life of the company this is quite achievable, and probably year on year depending on if you have a high day rate. PM me if you like and I'll prove it to you.
    I don't know if the OP has the ability to PM yet. But would it be something you could share with us at all?

Leave a comment:

• Danielsjdaccountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freshie View Post
    hi all,

I recently started contracting and whilst I was making my decision came across a lot of websites that stated 'when contracting, most contractors generally take home 75%-80% of their contract rate...'

I then set up my company, got started and had a chat to my accountant and he tells me I have to pay 21% corporate tax (fine, knew about that) and 25% dividend tax for anything above approx. £37,000... which is consistent HMRC's website... but that does not equal 75%-80% take home pay...! am I missing something?? please help!

thanks
    Over the life of the company this is quite achievable, and probably year on year depending on if you have a high day rate. PM me if you like and I'll prove it to you.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I acheive over 75% retention but I am an old fart and pay a lot of my turnover into my SIPP which helps a lot with the % retention. Mrs Bloggs also takes divis too. Ultimately, I suppose this is deferring rather than avoiding tax, but it works for me.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Freshie View Post
    hi all,

I recently started contracting and whilst I was making my decision came across a lot of websites that stated 'when contracting, most contractors generally take home 75%-80% of their contract rate...'

I then set up my company, got started and had a chat to my accountant and he tells me I have to pay 21% corporate tax (fine, knew about that) and 25% dividend tax for anything above approx. £37,000... which is consistent HMRC's website... but that does not equal 75%-80% take home pay...! am I missing something?? please help!

thanks
    I would say that 65 - 70% is more the norm. Anything above 75% is likely to be due to a scheme involving loans or Forex payments, which most would now strong recommend against.

As the Just1morethen makes clear, % of take home pay is largely down to your personal circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    What is your rate? Are you married? If so how much does your spouse earn? Depending on the answers to these questions, 75% is entirely possible, even up to about £95-£100K.

You can earn c£43k without paying higher rate tax (the tax on dividend you mentioned) as can you spouse. So, depending on the spouse's earnings, £86k of GROSS income can be extracted from the company without higher rate tax. This will obviously go down proportionately if your spouse earns anything. If you aren't married or your spouse is already a higher rate tax payer (or very nearly) then 75% is pretty well impossible without deferring serious amounts of income.

You an also score about 4% if you are on the VAT flat rate scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Freshie
    started a topic 75% - 80% take home pay - really? help pls!

75% - 80% take home pay - really? help pls!

hi all,

thanks

Working...
X