• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountants - those letters after their name"

Collapse

• Stag Cozier
    replied
    Originally posted by rmmc View Post
    I am sure you know that AAT qualified can not sign the audit report. You have to ACA or ACCA in order to sing off the audit report (England and Wales).
    I don't think being ACA or ACCA is enough. I thought you had to be a registered auditor to sign off an audit report. Anyone can "sing" off the audit report. Just watch X-Factor. They try to sing all the time

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by rmmc View Post
    I am sure you know that AAT qualified can not sign the audit report. You have to ACA or ACCA in order to sing off the audit report (England and Wales).

I didn't say an AAT qualifified person could sign an audit report, I said they could sign a set of accounts.

It is however quite common for an accountant (who could be AAT qualified) to prepare the accounts and then an auditor step in to sign off on the audit report.

Leave a comment:

• rmmc
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    ....Someone AAT qualified can sign off your accounts, ...
    No - you don't need them signed off unless you're having an audit, and that only applies to quite large companies.

Sometimes it's useful for mortgage references though.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    No - you don't need them signed off unless you're having an audit, and that only applies to quite large companies.

Sometimes it's useful for mortgage references though.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Someone AAT qualified can sign off your accounts
    Most contractor Limiteds don't need their accounts signed off do they?

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    B Com

MAAT - Member of the Association of Accounting Technicians
    ATT - Member of the Association of Taxation technicians
    PCG - Passed the PCG course

BCom - no idea. Degree in Business & Commerce?

Qualifications don't necessarily mean that the person is good in practice in my view - sometimes experience makes more difference.
    I have a BCom in Accounting and Business Economics

Batchelor Commerce - This is common in South Africa

I believe the equivalent in UK would be BA or Bsc Accounting

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    And, not forgetting, CIMA too. Chartered Institute of management Accountants. I may be wrong, but I do not think that legally an ATT or AAT qualified person can describe themselves as professional accountants.
    Legally anyone can call themselves an accountant, it doesn't have the same restrictions as the word Solicitor does.

Someone AAT qualified can sign off your accounts, plus they are regulated by a professional body so if you have a complaint there is somewhere you can go to make that complaint. They are also required to keep up with CPD, so you have reasonable reassurance they know what they doing.

It's like anything though, sometimes the best people are fully qualified up to their ears, and sometimes they hold no certificates but could wipe the floor with those who do. I've met and worked with both.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    To be fair 99% of the work over year is not done by your accountant. He will probably just scan an eye over it before it is submitted. The rest of it will be done by an admin team. Don't kid yourself that you are paying for his time at all.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    And, not forgetting, CIMA too. Chartered Institute of management Accountants. I may be wrong, but I do not think that legally an ATT or AAT qualified person can describe themselves as professional accountants.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Thank you - it ain't simple is it?? Sounds like the new one is qualified for the job.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Thanks Clare

So ATT is a "proper" accountant?
    ATT is a tax qualification that is quite wide ranging and 'expert' level I suppose.

Someone who is AAT qualified is more than capable of prearing accounts and tax returns - it's a good qualification.

AAT and ATT are the same type of thing, but one is more focused on tax and one is more focused on accounting.

Chartered is ACA or FCA - Members of ICAS or ICAEW.

Then there's ACCA - who are Chartered Certified, on a par with the above Chartered but a different regulating body.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Thanks Clare

So ATT is a "proper" accountant?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Just had an email from my accountancy firm (SJD) about a restructure, and I have a new account manager.

My old one signed herself:

MAAT ATT
    PCG Accredited Accountant

The new one is :

BCom ATT

Anyone know what the letters mean? Am I being short changed?
    MAAT - Member of the Association of Accounting Technicians
    ATT - Member of the Association of Taxation technicians
    PCG - Passed the PCG course

BCom - no idea. Degree in Business & Commerce?

Qualifications don't necessarily mean that the person is good in practice in my view - sometimes experience makes more difference.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    started a topic Accountants - those letters after their name

Accountants - those letters after their name

Just had an email from my accountancy firm (SJD) about a restructure, and I have a new account manager.

My old one signed herself:

MAAT ATT
    PCG Accredited Accountant

The new one is :

BCom ATT

Anyone know what the letters mean? Am I being short changed?

Working...
X