• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office For National Statistics demanding survey complete or fine for £2,500"

Collapse

• escapeUK
    replied
    I just got one of these bulltulip forms, it never amazes me how much of my taxes are wasted on stuff like this. The answers they already know if they connect a few systems.

What is my total turnover? Check my year end accounts.
    What is my employment costs? See my payroll submissions
    What is my NI contributions? Zero. See my payroll submissions.
    What is my energy cost? Seriously?

Time taken to complete sections 2 to 8.. lol

Please give details of the person we should contact if we have any questions about the return.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I filled mine in after checking and finding out that they do have the statutory power to fine which they will happily do.
    I don't think they have the power to impose a fine. What they can do is institute criminal proceedings under the Act (as could anyone for that matter) - and a court may impose a fine up to the maximum amount.

I don't think it's the same as HMRC power's, whom can seem to apply fines at a whim. However, ONS won't 'happily do' something if it means they have to undertake masses of donkey work to do it.

That said - probably easier to just fill in the bloody form and be done with it.
    Last edited by centurian; 31 October 2010, 17:24.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I've had a few over the years. Just fill it in and send it back. It's just part of a statistical sample that they use for gathering info.

You operate a LTD company FFS, which means you in the
    public domain.

Leave a comment:

• tangent
    replied
    Fill it in, but don't waste too much time on it. I did it for about 6-8 months and they eventually stopped coming.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Which is is one of the reasons why I ignored it in the first place. Once they know you are going to respond, they start pumping you for information. Sod that, I'll play dead and hope that they go away.
    I filled mine in after checking and finding out that they do have the statutory power to fine which they will happily do.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I had one of these about 10 years ago, followed up by threats of fines.

I eventually filled it in with totally vague responses and notes along the lines of "this is an estimate based on randomly generated numbers" it appears that they can't force you to give meaningful data.

Apparently this blatantly stupid information was completely acceptable and they went away

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    These surveys are a blinkin' nuisance and you are legally obliged to complete them. We currently receive 5 a month and we will be on two of them for the next 5 years
    Which is is one of the reasons why I ignored it in the first place. Once they know you are going to respond, they start pumping you for information. Sod that, I'll play dead and hope that they go away.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    These surveys are a blinkin' nuisance and you are legally obliged to complete them. We currently receive 5 a month and we will be on two of them for the next 5 years

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Some people like to make life hard. If it says do it and it is a legal requirement, spend a few mins doing it, send it off and sleep soundly. Some things in life really aren't worth the hassle.
    WNLUS

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Some people like to make life hard. If it says do it and it is a legal requirement, spend a few mins doing it, send it off and sleep soundly. Some things in life really aren't worth the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    I just got a letter from The Office for National Statistics telling me that a 'business survey' is now over due (which they never sent me in the first place) and if I didn't fill one in and send it to them I could be fined up to £2,500.

What tulip is this ?
    Reading on their website

Originally posted by www.statistics.gov.uk
    Do I have to complete the form(s)?
    Yes. You are required to complete the ABI forms under the Statistics of Trade Act 1947. Failure to return the completed form(s) could result in your company being referred to the Enforcement Unit, who may take legal action to obtain a response. There is a maximum fine of £2,500 for non-completion of the form, which will still need to be completed.
    I got one ages ago. Never filled it in, I think they sent a reminder after a while and then that was the end of it. I just filed it all away with the rest of my business stuff. I don't do this survey tulip. £2,500 for not completing a form? Piffle.

If they ever do refer My LTD to their enforcement unit and they do take legal action, I'll do the tulipy survey but in the meantime I would appreciate it if they just just sod off and leave me alone, I have enough admin work to do as it is thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Never heard of it.

Then again... oo-er. Link.

Do I have to complete the form(s)?
    Yes. You are required to complete the ABI forms under the Statistics of Trade Act 1947. Failure to return the completed form(s) could result in your company being referred to the Enforcement Unit, who may take legal action to obtain a response. There is a maximum fine of £2,500 for non-completion of the form, which will still need to be completed.

Leave a comment:

• Office For National Statistics demanding survey complete or fine for £2,500

I just got a letter from The Office for National Statistics telling me that a 'business survey' is now over due (which they never sent me in the first place) and if I didn't fill one in and send it to them I could be fined up to £2,500.

What is this survey ? I know you have to fill in business type, no of employees, monthly turnover etc. and there is some writing at the bottom stating "we promise that no unauthorized persons will view your private data - honest gov'ner with sugar in top.'.

What tulip is this ?

Working...
X