• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A Health & Safety Reminder - IR35 Consideration"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by mr_do! View Post
    in the happy world of clientco, health and safety is health, safety and the environment so monitors being left switched on, icy paths and wasted paper all count towards the 4 a month target.

magically, everyone meets the target. it's amazing the rubbish that people will make up when there's money at stake.
    Completely barmy!

By setting this daft target they're actively promoting people deliberately creating a risk just to solve it, I'd love to see their faces if someone gets hurt as a result of that behaviour.

Ok, that's a good one to put on their HSE target. Company policy that actively encourages the creation of risk!

I admit that a lot of the HSE stuff is pretty trivial, but having worked in military, aerospace and naval environments some of their HSE stuff is life saving so I'm not totally cynical about the issue.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    This sounds like fun, who can think of the most stupid possible risks... However while the company has a legal duty to provide a safe environment for you even as a contractor, I'm pretty sure that doesn't imply you have to do this if you don't want to.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    magically, everyone meets the target. it's amazing the rubbish that people will make up when there's money at stake.
    Send that into the guy who does Dilbert, they love new ideas and your client may even make it into a cartoon.

Leave a comment:

• mr_do!
    replied
    in the happy world of clientco, health and safety is health, safety and the environment so monitors being left switched on, icy paths and wasted paper all count towards the 4 a month target.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    i am !

it turns into a bit of a farce for employees actually because people have to covertly create unsafe conditions so that they can report on them and then correct them.

still not convinced that i should be doing 4 a month ...
    Good grief, go with it and report things like having to walk on the cracks in the pavement (they could be grouted), chair wheels with axles marginally off centre, lack of airlocks on every window, door and air vent in case of the planet losing its atmosphere.

HSE is a sensible thing to pay attention to, but 4 things per person per month? That's total insanity.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    i am !

it turns into a bit of a farce for employees actually because people have to covertly create unsafe conditions so that they can report on them and then correct them.

What if you don't meet the target?

And how on earth are monitors being left on a "health and safety" risk? Sounds like bit of a moronic site to be honest.

It's going to be a very minor pointer if anything and not worth bothering about. I'd just go with the flow and comply with their silly system...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    i am !

You are kidding? Management expects every person on site to find a H&S breach, every week? And they get in trouble if they don't hit the quota?

That's insane.

IR35 is the least of your worries.

(And I'm still sure it doesn't apply because H&S considerations over-rule just about everything; being a contractor does not exempt you from following safe working practices, and if the barking mad mental-case overlords at your ClientCo have done a safety assessment that says 52 breaches per person on site per annum is an improvement, you'd better do your bit to help.)

Leave a comment:

• mr_do!
    replied
    i am !

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    all employees have targets to enter data into a computer system every month. entering the requisite number of items into the system means that boxes are ticked when it comes to monthly reviews and performance pay.

the targets are broken down into categories and one of these is health and safety.
    So are you supposed to find and record 4 H&S problems a month?

Leave a comment:

• mr_do!
    replied
    all employees have targets to enter data into a computer system every month. entering the requisite number of items into the system means that boxes are ticked when it comes to monthly reviews and performance pay.

the targets are broken down into categories and one of these is health and safety.

i'm worried about the numerical nature of these targets ...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    They have a duty of care for staff contractors, sub-contractors, visitors, etc. That includes you.

They will have done some form of H&S assessment and determined standards are low, hence the enforced training.

All they are doing is imposing the same H&S standards onto their suppliers.

It is no different from having contractors on a building site having to sign a sheet every day on arrival to say they are wearing their hard hat, boots and yellow jacket.

It is just so ClientCo can say "We have done everything we can to reduce the H&S risk".

Edit: actually, just what is a "health and safety related ticket"?
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 15 February 2011, 21:25.

Leave a comment:

• mr_do!
    replied
    sorry to hijack the thread but i'm in a very similar position at the client site.

i've been there for 3 years now. employees have to complete a minimum of 4 health and safety related tickets every month as part of their yearly targets, things like monitors being left on overnight, paths around the office being icy, etc.

i'm now being asked to do the same and this 4 per month target has now been inserted into my new contract.

should i sign this ? i've been happy to comply with health and safety policy but having a monthly target is a bit too similar to the targets that the staff have to reach.

it's unlikely that the company will accept a flat "no" on this issue. would removing the number make it seem like less of a target ?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    I didn't actually know that. Think may be I should start taking this sort of thing a little more seriously.
    Another minor point is that a bunch of regulations tend to use the term "worker". This basically covers anybody.

People quite often go to jail for serious HSE breaches (ok there has usually been a fatality and this is covered by a specific act of parliament). This tends to occur even if the unfortunate victim was quite willingly undertaking the task. Often involves workers rather than staff.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It is health and safety.

The Display Screen Regulations are part of the Health and Safety laws as in theory you can sue the client if you are placed in a position where your health is damaged because of how your workstation is set up or what they expect you to do while using them.

Though if your workstation is not set up properly then the worker needs to try and get it rectified as both the worker and employer have responsibilities under the H&S legislation.

To be honest the only incidents I know of where payments have been made out are due to union involvement, and that was due to how the worker was made to work.
    I didn't actually know that. Think may be I should start taking this sort of thing a little more seriously.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    It's not really health and safety in the same way that ensuring you can use a chainsaw would be - it's more staff wellment or something like that. But I get what you mean regarding supply of equipment.
    It is health and safety.

The Display Screen Regulations are part of the Health and Safety laws as in theory you can sue the client if you are placed in a position where your health is damaged because of how your workstation is set up or what they expect you to do while using them.

Though if your workstation is not set up properly then the worker needs to try and get it rectified as both the worker and employer have responsibilities under the H&S legislation.

To be honest the only incidents I know of where payments have been made out are due to union involvement, and that was due to how the worker was made to work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X