• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Professional Indemnity & Public Liability"

Collapse

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
    Mal - Not being clever and neither are you!

The idea of a forum is to help people and share knowledge. Not rant to people because you have nothing better to do. If you dont like my questions then dont bother replying. Its quite simple!

If I see a question of any kind on here that I can answer (no matter how simple or complex or if it has been asked before) I will do without trying to be smart or thinking that I run the place or trying to put people down. Someone asks a question because they need advice. My questions are for recommendations not for idiots to come on and give me abuse!

And if you have plenty of work to be doing then I suggest you get on with what you are being paid for instead of spending all your time on here. If I had hours to spend trawling through here and on google (which incidently is where I found this site) then I wouldnt be in a job for too much longer. Still, these 'older contractors' feel they are the big shots.......

ads1980. Once you have been here for a long time, you will understand why some people react the way they do. Yes we should share knowledge, but we shouldn't spoon feed each other.

The type of question you have asked in this thread could lead to answers that may not be in your company's best interest. What if we suggest an insurance policy for your company, your company then takes it out and then you come back and tell us that that insurance provider didn't provide you with the cover and support you needed?

Sometimes you need to research things via the likes of Google and then come to us and say "Well, I found xyz company who provides abc insurance policy via google, and found them to be ok. Has anyone made a successful claim through their insurance either during the term or x years after the claim?". You may get a better response from the board.

We are not here to do your research for you.

Leave a comment:

• watford
    replied
    I use Qdos both for PI & PL quite inexpensive !

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
    Please see their article on Insurance in their newsletter. Clients are covered for 6 years from the date of the last monthly payment.
    That may be the sales pitch, but it's not the actual practice. You're paying to be covered under an overarching, continual policy protecting PP themselves from any claims arising (which is the same model as PCG use for PEI, of course).

Given that article also agrees with my position, that you as a company should have constant coverage as part of your business portfolio, I stand by my previous post. My real point was that people who pick up and put down non-enduring policies such as RD's or Chaunce's are deluding themselves that they are covered.

However, assuming PP's rates are competitive, there's no reason not to use them instead of keeoing a running policy of your own. The end result is the same.

Leave a comment:

• Sally BFCA
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Bad idea. You need the insurance when you get sued, not when you're working. If you're on the bench and the writ turns up for work you did last month, you don't have any cover. Not clever.

It's a business expense, keep it up or don't have it at all. No point at all in turning it on or off, that's just wasting money.
    Please see their article on Insurance in their newsletter. Clients are covered for 6 years from the date of the last monthly payment.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    @Mal & ads1980: Calm it down lads.

Some questions we are more than happy to answer, other questions means that posters may not have bothered to look first.

See this: CUK Netiquette for Newbies for further information.

This is the way this forum works, ads1980.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I am not impressed either. Its a forum for help not for abuse like I said. If you dont want to help in my posts then I would rather you had no input to them at all and leave it to the people who are on here to help
    Boy, I bet you fit in a new team real easy. All of 8 posts and you're telling Mal how to conduct a forum.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Perhaps if you searched on "PI Insurance" you might find I've answered your question several times over the last five years. Accusing me of not being helpful is not exactly supportable. However, in your case I'll make an exception.

Leave a comment:

• ads1980
    replied
    I am not impressed either. Its a forum for help not for abuse like I said. If you dont want to help in my posts then I would rather you had no input to them at all and leave it to the people who are on here to help

Leave a comment:

• Papavar
    replied
    Just spotted this post; the Umbrella company I've been looking at claims to provide PII. Any idea is this leaves me in the same position as the 'pay and go' option mentioned above? Or as an employee of the Umbrella, do they cover me under their own insurances somehow? I appreciate that I could take this up with the brolly in question but think I'm more likely to get some truth here, rather than the 'sell' they'll no doubt put on me!

And I thought moving form LtdCo to Brolly would be simple! (there was a few years as a permi in between before you all tell me I'm bonkers)

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Yeah, right, I'm iimpressed. Go do some research before you try and show how clever you are.

Leave a comment:

• ads1980
    replied
    Mal - Not being clever and neither are you!

The idea of a forum is to help people and share knowledge. Not rant to people because you have nothing better to do. If you dont like my questions then dont bother replying. Its quite simple!

If I see a question of any kind on here that I can answer (no matter how simple or complex or if it has been asked before) I will do without trying to be smart or thinking that I run the place or trying to put people down. Someone asks a question because they need advice. My questions are for recommendations not for idiots to come on and give me abuse!

And if you have plenty of work to be doing then I suggest you get on with what you are being paid for instead of spending all your time on here. If I had hours to spend trawling through here and on google (which incidently is where I found this site) then I wouldnt be in a job for too much longer. Still, these 'older contractors' feel they are the big shots.......

Leave a comment:

• diesel
    replied
    I have used Kingsbridge Professional Solutions in the past
    http://www.kpsol.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I have work to do and if I can ask a question which someone can reply to it saves me time.
    Whoop-di-doo, aren't you the clever one. Oddly enough, I have work to do as well, running a team of 50-odd support and development staff. You're not being clever, you're being lazy. Especially when everything you've asked to date can be found somewhere on this site. Ever heard of Google, for instance?

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    F1 Help button

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why don't you pull your finger out and start doing a bit of work instead of all these lazy posts. I want this I want that. Do a search. This question has been asked as much as the I want an accountant question. Places to get these also exist in the documentation on this site as well as on google....
    If all the IT users did that a lot of us would be out of work.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
    Professional Passport offer Professional Indemnity Insurance on a pay as you go month by month basis (meaning you only pay for the months that you are on contract) if you are a member with them. This can be useful for shorter term contracts that are less than one year.
    Bad idea. You need the insurance when you get sued, not when you're working. If you're on the bench and the writ turns up for work you did last month, you don't have any cover. Not clever.

It's a business expense, keep it up or don't have it at all. No point at all in turning it on or off, that's just wasting money.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X