• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expenses on tax return"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    It isn't really about "getting away with it", you are entitled to claim, the only issue is how. Size does matter and £88 is small. It is commonplace, even for professional accountants, to lump small capital amounts in with general expenses and this is generally accepted by the revenue. They are not generally too anal about how things are done provided about the right tax is paid.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by IanIan
    Only £88. But surely that shouldn't make a difference as to where it should go?

I've just never had self employed expenses before and it seems unfair that, because one has been forced into being an employee even though one is really a contractor, that claiming expenses is made more difficult.
    Indeed, but whether you wanted to be or not, or whether you agreed with it or not, you were an employee at the time. If you incurred expenses as an employee without the knowledge or consent of your employer, you haven't really got a leg to stand on if they object (which presumably they will).

As it is a relatively small amount of money, chalk this one up to experience, move on, and the next time this sort of situation pops up be prepared to deal with it by either having your own Ltd to operate through or by using the services of an umbrella. As you have found out, the half way approach just leaves you stranded in no man's land.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Only "trivial" in terms of money gained agaisnt effort expended. I think you need to sort out some sort of official presence, either as a Sole Trader or a LtdCo so you have something firm to work with in future.

Or next time think about using a brolly, this is about the only situation in which they make commercial sense

Leave a comment:

• IanIan
    replied
    Why is this trivial? Next time there could be alot more money at stake. Surely its a good idea to get these issues sorted out when the consequences aren't too big?

But otherwise thanks for your reply. It made good sense.
    Last edited by IanIan; 28 December 2005, 19:52.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    No it's not. You are an employee of the agency, whether you wanted to be or not, so you should be claiming the cost from them. You have to think of it in terms of legal entities, and there isn't one for this particualr client other than the agency. So charge them for it.

But then again, arguably you shouldn't be using software bought for use on their work for other people either, you should have bought another set. Which is another reason to write it off and stop worrying about trivia.

Leave a comment:

• IanIan
    replied
    Only £88. But surely that shouldn't make a difference as to where it should go?

I've just never had self employed expenses before and it seems unfair that, because one has been forced into being an employee even though one is really a contractor, that claiming expenses is made more difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    How much money are we talking about here?

Leave a comment:

• IanIan
    replied
    Oh yes I am registered as self employed and I have used the software to do other contracts where I wasn't an employee at all.

Also, I don't want to be filling in a tax return in the hope that it won't be queried. I want to be filling it in under the assumption that if it was checked then it would all be in order.

I spoke to the IR help desk and they said that employee expenses needed to be arranged with the employer which suggests to me that you can't just tack it on to the form at the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    That has the ring of truth about it. I think the write off is 50% in the first year now. Xog is correct though that the capital allowances section is quite complex and unless we are talking serious wonga just do as originally suggested and stick it down as an employee type expense.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I believe that software, provided it is new and not an upgrade, is actually classed as capital. That being so, you can claim it via the personal capital allowances system, you need to fill in a form you will find on the IR website.

PS Darn complicated that form though. Unless amount is huge I would just be inclined to stick it in on necessary expenses on tax form. Unless huge, doubt they will query it.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 28 December 2005, 17:16.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I'm afraid that what you "consider yourself" has no bearing on the matter. If you registered with your local tax office as a sole trader / self employed person only then can you fill in the self employment section. If you did not, you cannot. If you have been operating as self employed and did not notify your local tax office within 3 months of you starting up, there will be a fine to pay.

If you were an employee (which it seems you were) and the expense was incurred wholly and necessarily as part of your employment, then it should be claimed as an employment type expense, the same as any other employee would.

Leave a comment:

• IanIan
    started a topic Expenses on tax return

Expenses on tax return

Hi there,

I consider myself a self employed computer programmer.

Last year I got a contract position but because I do not own a limited company, I had to become an employee of the agency that was arranging the job.

Whilst doing the work I wanted to do some of it at home so I had to buy some software in order to be able to do this.

So the question is, was this software an expense that I can put down on the self emplyment section of the tax return?

It seems to me that the structure of the tax return doesn't accomodate very well a self employed person who is forced to work as a temporary employee.

Cheers, Ian.

Working...
X